We make learning vocabulary, languages and facts joyful and effective. We graduated from Techstars Boston in 2011 and we’ve since taught more than a billion words, phrases and facts to more than two million people in hundreds of languages. Our angel investors and advisors include the founders of WordPress, Cloudera and Avid, and we’re now funded by leading VC firms Balderton Capital and Avalon Ventures.
Our work is the outcome of our twin obsessions with learning effectiveness and learning pleasure (and their profound connections, of course). We collaborate with Oxford and UCL psychology / neuroscience departments to do peer-reviewed science on our remarkable datasets; and our unique learning methodology has given rise to several million user-generated mems (vivid mnemonic images). We also produce an iPhone language-learning game called CatAcademy, which teaches conversational Spanish through pictures of cats.
Both in terms of product invention and in terms of the scale of our user base, we’re just getting started, so we have some spectacular opportunities for creative minds and gifted doers (preferably combined in the same bodies). There’s ten of us right now in a converted chapel in East London, and we’re looking to grow delicately but decisively.
How to apply
If you’re interest in any of the roles described below, email us at jobs at memrise.com. Please include CVs, links to things you’ve built or destroyed, and reasons you’ll enjoy and add to the energy in to our wondrous, multi-lingual, intellectually vibrant office.
Open positions in London:
We're seeking a brilliant full-stack developer to help drive forward the development of our web product as we scale. You’ll be working on our core learning algorithms, build out new features, run experiments and help us scale.
- Working across the tech stack, building out new features and honing existing ones
- Creatively tuning learning algorithms and helping elaborate and finesse our learning tech
- Working with the mobile team to sculpt and elaborate our API
- At least 4-5 years experience working with modern programming languages, out of which at least 3 years in Python
- Enthusiasm for actively coding across the tech stack
- Passion for technology
- Experience with live production systems
- Have worked with large deployments on AWS - highly advantageous
We’re looking for someone to lead our Android team, building an app that will reach millions of users. You’d be a keen Android advocate who strives for great technical challenges as well as appreciates a buttery-smooth, radiant user experience. Your mission in a nutshell is to create a flawless and addictive learning experience for the world’s androiders.
- To take ownership of the new Memrise Android app
- Collaborating with our design team to push forward the boundaries of the learning experience.
- In time, leading other members of our Android team.
- At least two years experience working on the Android platform
- You’ve built at least one substantial Android app in its entirety
- Experience both in architecture and execution of complex software projects
- Deep knowledge of Android-specific UI patterns and affordances
- The capacity and experience in time to lead further members of our Android team
- Experience with other mobile programming languages is advantageous
We're looking for a talented multi-disciplinary designers to join our design team in helping us improve and re-imagine our suite of apps and website. We pride ourselves on being on of the most inventive startups in Edtech, and we’re looking for wide-ranging individuals with a keen interest in learning as well as design. The role includes lots of UI design, but also user-testing and research, and plenty of creative invention around new learning modes and experiences. We’re looking for people who are curious, humble, empirical and creative.
- Collaborating and leading product teams in developing new learning experiences
- Designing and preparing visual assets for web and mobile
- Speccing, prototyping and iterating on interaction designs for new functionality
- Conducting and assimilating frequent user-testing sessions
- Good graphic and interaction design skills with experience designing for mobile / digital products
- An obsessive approach to user-testing and research
- The ability to communicate and justify design decisions
- Experience designing interfaces and an understanding of how design and build come together
- Some mobile or web development ability or skill at animation
- Highly advantageous: experience using A/B testing and analytics to drive product invention