Level 5 Level 7
28 words 0 ignored
Ready to learn Ready to review
Check the boxes below to ignore/unignore words, then click save at the bottom. Ignored words will never appear in any learning session.
1a) A butterfly or other insect pupa. 1b) The hardened outer protective layer of a pupa 2) A protecting covering; a sheltered state or stage of being or growth.
1a) Midland: doll. 1b) Obsolete: marionette. 2) Chiefly Brittish: Used as a term of endearment, like "dear." 3a) An upright support or guide of a machine that is fastened at the bottom only. 3b) A valve that rises perpendicularly to or from its seat.
A soothing or healing salve; ointment.
1a) A soft jelly or porridge made with flour or meal. 1b) Any of several sweet desserts. 2) Mummery. Mumbo jumbo.
Promptness in response; cheerful readiness
(Chiefly British) 1) A small enclosed field usually adjoining a house. 2) A small farm worked by a tenant.
1) A gem or bead cut in convex form and highly polished but not faceted. 2) This style of cutting.
Evenness of mind especially under stress. Right disposition; balance.
Tending to accept or allow what others want or demand.
1a) Archaic: To defeat in battle. 1b) To frustrate the plans of; to thwart. 2) To put into a state of perplexity and embarrassment; disconcert.
1) Having a sullen and gloomy disposition 2) Marked by or expressive of gloom.
1) Marked by slaughter; deadly. Especially: mutually destructive. 2) Of, relating to, or involving conflict within a group.
1a) Characteristic of prose as distinguished from poetry. 1b) Unimaginative; dull. 2) Everyday; ordinary.
(Noun): One habitually negligent of neatness or cleanliness especially in personal appearance. (Adjective): Untidy, especially in personal appearance. Lazily slipshod.
Having or seeming to have no end.
1) Soft miry land that shakes or yields under the foot. 2) A difficult, precarious, or entrapping position; predicament.
1) A movement of the body made in token of respect or submission; bow. 2) Acknowledgment of another's superiority or importance; homage.
1) A long usually triangular or swallow-tailed streamer typically attached to the head of a lance as an ensign. 2) Wing. Pinion.
1) Nearness of blood; kinship. 2) Nearness in place or time; proximity.
1a) Thick or opaque with or as if with roiled sediment. 1b) Heavy with smoke or mist. 2) Deficient in clarity or purity; foul; muddy. 3) Characterized by or producing obscurity (as of mind or emotions).
A large flat-bottomed boat with broad square ends used chiefly for transporting bulk material (such as ore, sand, or refuse)
1) To soothe in temper or disposition; appease. 2) To reduce the rigidity of; soften. 3) To reduce in intensity; to assuage; to temper.
(Noun): 1) A decorative chain or strip hanging between two points. 2) A carved, molded, or painted ornament representing a decorative chain. (Verb): 1) To hang or form _____s on. 2) To shape into ______s. 3) To decorate or adorn.
1) To improvise, especially in speech. 2) To get along in a makeshift manner. 3) To compose, perform, or utter something improvisationally.
a) A characterizing word or phrase accompanying or occurring in place of the name of a person or thing. b) A disparaging or abusive word or phrase. c) The part of a taxonomic name identifying a subordinate unit within a genus.
Injury to tissue usually without laceration; a bruise.
1) Arrogant; presumptuous. 2) Immoderate; exaggerated.
1) Excessively grasping or covetous. 2) Living on prey. 3) Ravenous