Level 10 Level 12
21 words 0 ignored
Ready to learn Ready to review
Check the boxes below to ignore/unignore words, then click save at the bottom. Ignored words will never appear in any learning session.
(Noun): Magus (Adj): Of or relating to the Magi
1) A Roman festival of Bacchus celebrated with dancing, song, and revelry. 2) Orgy
a poisonous evergreen shrub (Nerium ________) of the dogbane family with clusters of fragrant white to red flowers
1) Of a kind likely to induce sleep. 2a) Inclined to or heavy with sleep. Drowsy. 2b) Sluggish as if from sleep. Lethargic
1) A leave of absence granted to a governmental or institutional employee (such as a soldier or civil servant). Also, a document authorizing such a leave of absence. 2) A temporary leave from work that is not paid and is often for a set period of time. 3) A set period of time when a prisoner is allowed to leave a prison. (All of these definitions can also be tweaked into transitive verb form)
(Archaic): To stop up. To fill with obstructions. Block up.
1) A fence or enclosure set in a waterway for taking fish. 2) A dam in a stream or river to raise the water level or divert its flow.
1) To wear off the skin of. Abrade. 2) To censure scathingly.
1) Given to joking. Merry. 2) Characterized by joking. Humorous.
(Noun 1) A man who gives exaggerated attention to personal appearance. 2) Something excellent in its class. (Adjective 1): Of, relating to, or suggestive of a man who gives exaggerated attention to personal appearance. Foppish. 2) Very good. First rate.
(Intransitive verb): Show off, swagger. Boast. (Adjective 1): Characterized by showy display. Ostentatious. 2) Fashionably elegant. Smart. (Noun 1): Arrogance or ostentation of dress or manner. Pretentiousness. Swagger. 2) Elegance. Fashionableness
1) Marked by wantonness. Lecherous. Salacious. (Latin 2) Having a smooth or slippery quality.
1a) Covered with or consisting of scales. Scaly. 1b) Of, relating to, or being a stratified epithelium that consists at least in its outer layers of small scale-like cells. 2) Of, relating to, or being the anterior upper portion of the temporal bone of most mammals including humans.
A theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing. Also, extreme egocentrism.
1) Most sacred or holy. Inviolable. 2) Treated as if holy. Immune from criticism or violation.
a small hard highly spiced cookie made traditionally for the Christmas holidays
Not to be avoided, changed, or resisted. Inevitable.
An ascending slope (as of a hill)
(Noun 1) A line of stout posts set firmly to form a defense. 2a) An enclosure or pen made with posts and stakes. 2b) An enclosure in which prisoners are kept. (Verb): To fortify or surround with a stockade.
(Noun 1) A stroke or sound of a bell especially when rung slowly (as for a death, funeral, or disaster). 2) An indication of the end or the failure of something. (Intransitive Verb): To summon or announce by or as if by a ______. (Transitive verb): To ring especially for a death, funeral, or disaster. Toll. 2) To sound in an ominous manner or with an ominous effect.