Level 197 Level 199
19 words 0 ignored
Ready to learn Ready to review
Check the boxes below to ignore/unignore words, then click save at the bottom. Ignored words will never appear in any learning session.
connects words or groups of words
connects words or word groups that have equal importance in a sentence EX: and, but, for, nor, or, so, yet
pairs of conjunctions that join words or groups of words. Ex: both_______and, not only_______but also, either_______or
introduce subordinate clauses and join them to independent clauses. EX:after, although, as, because, if since, so that,
clauses that cannot stand alone as complete sentences
used to express relationship between independent clauses. EX: also, consequently, however, nevertheless, still, therefore
words or phrases that express an emotion or strong feeling. EX: oh, well, yippee!, yikes etc_______
connecting words such as and,but, or
1. at the end of a sentences 2. common with many abbreviations
1. to separate words 2. to set off parts of dates, addresses , and geographic names 3.to set off an appositive that is nonrestrictive 4. to separate the clauses of a compound sentence connecte…
Use an exclamation point to end an exclamatory sentence, a sentence that expresses strong feeling.
a punctuation mark [?] placed at the end of a sentence to indicate a question
is used to connect other groups of words they are And, Or, Nor, or But
Is used when a sentence could have been ended, but it wasn't. Most often used between closely related independent clauses that are not joined by a coordinating conjunction like And,But,Or,orNor
1. After a complete statement in order to introduce one or more directly related ideas 2. After a salutation in business letter
These are used to enclose direct quotations and to designate titles of short works [like newspaper and magazine articles, poems, short stories, songs, episodes of television and radio programs, and subdivisions of books or web sites].
1. to show possession 2. to indicate the omission of a letter,letters, or numbers 3. with the letter s to show the plural of a lowercase letter
1. to divide a word at the end of a line when one or more syllables are carried to the next line 2. in compound numbers from twenty-one to ninety-nine when they are written…
What every sentence should start with a capital letter