Please delete the Points Generator course!

Serves no other purpose than for people to cheat..complete farce!

Posted by ponder 7/12/12, last update 7/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • Not sure this would fit within the memrise ethos, but other approaches might be possible, e.g. handicapping the scores on courses where the questions are the same as the answers.

But then you also have to consider the low-end times tables courses, which could be very useful to kids, etc. Maybe it's reasonable to give these courses low points scores as well, but I'm not sure where the line gets drawn.

Maybe repeated exercise of any course should yield progressively less points.

Or maybe we shoul start moving the emphasis to words learned. At the moment this is a flawed measure because you can just let words 'wilt' and they are still counted, but memrise are on the point of introducing improvements to the aggregate measures of words learned which should deal with

Posted by revans 7/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • "maybe repeated exercises of any course should yield progressively less points" - good solution. If the plant is at a 2 month or higher timer, than maybe, there should be zero points awarded.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • "maybe repeated exercises of any course should yield progressively less points" - good solution. - I agree, but I don't think that it should apply this way: "If the plant is at a 2 month or higher timer, than maybe, there should be zero points awarded.". We should continue to gain points when we water plants at the scheduled time; what could be awarded few or zero points should be the repeated exercises in a non-stop style.

Posted by Pilar_Pereira 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • One thing that I kind of dislike about Memrise is that there doesn't seem to be much of an ability to do any targetted watering. I could repeatedly "water all" in hopes of actually having troublesome words come up, but given that I've got something like 1500+ words in my gardens, I'm unlikely to hit problematic words in any session.

I also wonder about cases wherein the words are equal - a lot of languages can share a fair bit of vocab. However, I'm still think that it's important to learn that the words might be the same, rather than simply not learning the word in question. Fewer points in such cases might make sense.

Just wondering then how to account for issues like the following: The Dutch and English words for "oregano" are the same. However, in Dutch I have to figure out which article to use (is it "de oregano" or "het oregano"?). In such a case is the word "the same" or "different", as that article is something that I still need to memorize.

Posted by Dave114 7/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • @Dave, in your example "oregano", I would consider it different, for the reason you stated.

I'd also appreciate if I could somehow mark some words as "problematic" and then water only them (and eventually exclude them from the problematic group).

Posted by Pilar_Pereira 7/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • @Pilar-Pereira - I think you misunderstood my suggestion. What I was saying was that if you are choosing to "water" plants apart from their timed watering, than you should get few to no points.

In my example, if there was a plant that was at two month timer from today, and you chose to water that plant today, when memrise was not requesting that you water the plant, then you really shouldn't get points. In essence you are subverting the SRS nature of Memrise.
    In contrast, if you water plants when Memrise wants you to water them, you should get the maximum number of points allowable.

@Dave114, I feel your pain. Many memrise users, including myself, have requested a "trouble" words feature. As for cognates - I would still treat it as a new word. After all, if you were speaking dutch and you had to use the word "oregano", you would need to know that "oregano" is a real word in the dutch language.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • How about scaling points offerred in ea. language to the speed at which the point-achievements are being doled out? So if someone makes a course that for whatever reason is giving out points 2x as fast as others, it just gets scaled back to 1/2 that. Then if someone wants to make these "free points" courses the result is just going to be time they coulda spent on a real language, no real gain in points.

Also when you delete these b.s. courses take away points that those courses awarded. Make doing this easy.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • http://www.memrise.com/set/10013093/point-generator/

The point generator course really is a joke.... Could someone please delete this course?

Posted by Nostalgie 7/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Unfortunately there's probably no way to stop users creating more courses like the points generator, but would it be possible to flag this courses and then block their users from appearing on the scoreboards? It's no fun cheating if your results count for nothing.

Posted by leggi 7/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Why not display all users of a course? Would benefit in so many ways, like bringing the communities learning one course together.. and show the ugly faces of the cheaters in one go.

1 stone. 2 birds. win

Posted by ikenaiAndi 7/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Good idea.

Posted by revans 7/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • +1 to leggi's idea; +2 to ikenaiAndi's

Posted by Pilar_Pereira 7/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • First of all, I would like to say don't worry about scoreboards - they really don't mean anything. Learning languages is not a competition. Everyone has his or her own pace. The important thing is to reach your goal. Don't get hung up on speed. People learning or reviewing several languages, as I am, will seem to pull ahead of everyone else. Being already familiar with more than one language gives us an advantage learning related languages or merely reviewing. Remember this is not a level playing field. People come here with all kinds of backgrounds, so don't worry too much about the score. There is no trophy, except improving your own language skills.

Posted by hugstablebear 7/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • If scoreboards motivate you or not isn't really the point hugstable, if people score a million points a day and they do it fairly then good luck to them, they worked for it. A lot of people are competitive by nature though and the scoreboard gives you that bit of extra encouragement in my opinion.

Most of the courses do not come into the discussion at all.

Cheating is a completely different matter however and the Points Generator course is nothing more than a plaything for idiots!

I would make their points tally go backwards every time they used the damn course!

Posted by ponder 7/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • The leader boards are generally not very useful. Make leader boards for individual courses and topics. (That's quck and done easily) Make the tests more interesting, too, with adding dictation mode and what have you. (As a long-term goal)

This cheater list (and other, similar ones) are really only a minor annoyance for me, because I don't really care about my ratings, but some people might do.. and by the way, that course's still alive and kicking, with a growing user base.

There are more pathetic people around here than one might think.

More importantly: How many students might have been forced by their eager teachers to learn here I wonder __

Posted by ikenaiAndi 7/20/12 (2 years ago)