Tildes in Spanish

My apologies if this has been mentioned before...

I've noticed that I will get marked correct even if I forget to mark a vowel with the accent (áéíóúü - not sure if it does the same with ñ). Can this be changed? Thanks for listening, and thank you for providing a great tool for learning vocabulary. :)

Posted by hollyjollyberry 7/12/12, last update 7/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • memrise doesn't test you on the accent marks

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Unless the word has more than one accent. In this case it will not test you if you enter no accents, but it will test you if you enter at least one.

Posted by revans 7/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Okay, it doesn't test on accent marks... but, shouldn't it? Sometimes the meaning of a word changes entirely depending on whether there is one or not.

Posted by hollyjollyberry 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • @revans - a lot of the spanish words I've seen have ONLY 1 accent. Therefore, theoretically - you could make a mistake without knowing that you made a mistake.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • @jenniferhunter: Of course. To spell it out in full (copied from a post but with typos corrected! in another thread where the concern was the German umlaut ) -

"The situation at the moment is that memrise will let you get away without accents. But if a word has two (or more) accents, and you type in only one, then it will fail you because of the missing accent.

If, like me, you are relaxed about being tested on accents, then this is OK. But if you want to be rigorous, then it is not satisfactory because words with only one accent can't be reliably tested, as you found.

But memrise do plan to introduce a user option so that you can opt to be tested rigorously. For now you'll need to be patient."

Posted by revans 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • @revans & @jenniferhunter, thank you both for your answers. I'm glad to hear that this is in the works (and I am the queen of patient.) :D

Posted by hollyjollyberry 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • @revans - well, hopefully, memrise will start focusing on features like this, patrol, working email management rather than superficial gimmicky "features". I prefer to be less "relaxed" and study the language strictly - with accents and tildes. If I took an official certification test, I would fail the writing portion if I didn't put in the correct spelling - accents and tildes. Personally, I'm getting a little tired of the bugs that haven't been fixed yet or the common features that multiple people keep on requesting.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • @jenniferhunter: For once I get to seem like a laidback, patient, tolerant person. Of course it's not true. But thank you, anyway!

Posted by revans 7/14/12 (1 year ago)