Words with two pinyin/meaning for same character

It's a small thing but there are a few entries - I'm looking at you 觉 - that have multiple entries, in this case jue2/jiao4. When testing pinyin/meaning, there is no way of know which one the system is expecting and hence spurious wrong answers. Anything I'm missing here?

Posted by abonham 7/11/12, last update 10/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • You're not missing anything. It's an issue. Usually it's being handled for the time being by accepting the other answer(s) as alternates. If something was marked wrong and you think this was wrong, open up the word ("edit this word") and start a discussion describing the issue so people can deliberate and fix etc.

Long term fixes for this would be controversial and a lot of work, but are interesting to talk about.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks for that! I've noticed that sometimes both answers are accepted but sometimes not. I'll point out specific instances as they happen.

Posted by abonham 7/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • I've been getting the "great, but we were looking for the pinyin" pop up when I get these wrong lately, allowing me to try the other meaning. Seems like a pretty good solution, but would be better if the pop up text was changed to specify it wants the other meaning instead of pinyin, or even generalised to apply to both cases where it comes up

Posted by mikedufty 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • This is a known limitation. Memrise, as currently designed doesn't have any way to deal with this, as far as I can tell.

Posted by carl_a_2 7/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • This has been around too long, and I am very sorry about that. We will get on to getting it sorted once and for all,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I like mikeduffy's suggestion. "Sorry, but we're looking for the other meaning" would not be foolproof but it would go a long way.

For instance right now, am I ever really tested in 得? I mean, maybe I know it's dei3, must, but maybe I never learn the other ways because I can always just put that one.

I think showing us the part of speech is wrong. It often gives away an acceptable answer, for one thing. Particle? Type particle.

What we could do instead of POS is perhaps have a "context" photo as a hint for these words. Context photos could be like mems except you see them before giving the answer.

Good/bad?

Posted by ThatHorse 7/14/12 (2 years ago)
    • contexts would need heavy moderation, like not showing up until approved. could just be text, in theory.
    • they should require a description as well explaining their intended purpose, i.e. "this is to make people think of 'must' as opposed to the particle"
    Posted by ThatHorse 7/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I've noticed in the last couple of days I get the same message "great, but we were looking for the pinyin" and I love the suggestion of "Great, but we were looking for another meaning". Simple and no extra context required.

Posted by abonham 7/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • "great, but we were looking for the other meaning" would be a great addition. I'm also having a lot of trouble when tested on identical characters with more than one meaning.

Posted by Magickman 8/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • takea l ook at the word description (which appears just above the character in tests). is it a verb, noun, place, pronoun, particle, etc. that will often give you a clue as to which pronounciation/meaning memrise is looking for. it's not perfect but it helps.

Posted by Big_Kahuna 8/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • I just got marked wrong for kao3 because I chose 烤 instead of 考. :/ I've also had the jue2/jiao4 issue. Do they fix this in the new Memrise?

Posted by pingKL 10/15/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity