Guidlines for the Danish wiki

Guidelines for how to enter words into the Danish wiki have been posted. They can be found at:

http://www.memrise.com/topic/danish/conventions/

Posted by jmhowell 7/10/12, last update 8/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • He's the address again, just remove the spaces:

http://www.memrise.com/ topic/danish/ conventions/

Posted by jmhowell 7/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • I suggest we remove the demand that the gender of nouns be named twice - both under the column and in the demand that nouns be listed as indefinite. The latter would suffice. Is it possible to talk to the programmers of Memrise and have them work on the following: - automatic addition of en/et when gender is mentioned and the other way around. - ability to toggle/untoggle gender. - an extra column for plurals.

Most nouns are common gender and have the plural endings -er. It would be great if there could be some way of having memrise suggest these default endings, so that whoever uploads words can just write in if there are different endings/words.

I know I am just spitting out demands here, but I don't know who to talk to. In my view, it would be great if these shortcomings could be addressed. It could save a lot of time.

Posted by fred_dk 8/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • I agree that it is definitely double work to both enter the indefinite article (en or et) with the noun, and also have to type in the gender (common or neuter) in the gender field. Actually, it would be fantastic if there were a check box where either common or neuter would be selected if the word was identified as noun, and then memrise could add the indefinite article itself during testing. The problem with adding the article direct to the noun is that it messes up the wiki dictionary because now all the nouns start with either en or et!

It would also be great if the verbs had separate sections for infinitive, present, past and participle. And the adjectives should have a way to enter their common, neuter and plural forms. Then memrise could effetely test for verb and adjective inflection. I think the issue is that at the moment memrise is a very generic tool, and the changes we are asking for would be specific to Danish (or at least the Scandinavian languages). But if memrise is to become truly useful, these are the types of adaptations that need to be made. Perhaps Danish could become the testbed for this sort of functionality.

Anyway, I second the motion that the guidelines be changed. To do this, just contact Ben directly and tell him what you want.

Posted by jmhowell 8/14/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity