iPhone app 1.2

Hi! We have just released version 1.2 on the app store. It's spreading through the different stores and should be available to you all soon. The major change for you in this release is Facebook sign up and sign in. Also, if a data network is available once you start a planting or watering session, a new session will be downloaded in the background.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/25/12, last update 11/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • @mathias :

How does the app determine which session to dowload if you have several gardens? (especially if they are in different languages and at different stages?) What algorithm does it use to select the session?

Or have I misunderstood what you mean by loading a new session in the bacground?

Posted by revans 6/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • It seems to have a serious bug when answering mandarin words with 2 tones. After you select the first one it just assumes that is your answer, meaning you only answer half the word, and of course it is incorrect. Anyone else getting this?

Also it said I was just watering 3 wilting plants, but actually gave me me far more - reviewing words that didn't need it.

Posted by TL-Talafar 6/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • revans: If you have not seen all words in wordlist, once you start a planting session a new one is download in the background so that you always have a planting session available. As you water words, a session filled is filled up in the background with words you already know. Giving you an option of always having some exercise todo if you fancy it.

tl-talafar: That does sound wrong. We will take a look at that, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think I might have missed the last release, but I have to say it's looking great. Big improvements since the very first beta release. The background downloading is a very useful function.

Bugs/suggestions: - For mandarin, using the tones boxes always gives me a 'nearly' yellow result, even when I select the correct tone. - It's great that you can hit enter twice on the keyboard to speed through results, just as in the web version. Would be even better if you could tap again after multiple-choice answers for the same effect. - Any plans for landscape mode? (faster typing, and my index finger needs a rest!) - Couldn't use the arrow at the bottom, which as I recall shows the number of words remaining in the session etc. Couldn't drag it, tap it, etc. - After completing a session, there seemed to be some sort of 'well done!' screen, but it was much too big for the screen, and when I tried to re-size it, it went back to the gardens page.

Posted by Azimuth 6/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • ciao guys! The sessions generated currently does suffer from a few formatting and interaction issues, we are working on resolving them.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • Are there screenshots anywhere? I'd like a preview of what us Droid users have to look forward too :)

Posted by iWantToKeepAnon 6/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • Also, being able to finish a session early - so you can sync and go back to using the web version - would be very useful.

Posted by Azimuth 6/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • iWantToKeepAnon: We will son have the screenshots and updates up, next days. Il post in this thread when its updated.

Azimuth: That is a nice feature, thanks for the idea!

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • As mentioned elsewhere, I use an IPod touch during my morning commute. I don't even try typing the pinyin so I get them wrong every time. :/

The numbers on the various badges seem to be more or less meaningless, although there is a new bug that causes my personal lists to indicate the number of items in the entire list, not what needs to be watered. Its wrong, but I appreciate the fact that at least its consistent.

I would still like a way to download/cache all items needing watering from all lists. I noticed the background downloading, but its like the badges in that partial functionality is somehow more discouraging than when it was completely broken.

You're probably aware of this, but the new tab thing at the bottom of the screen now obscures parts of the words. I like the old UI better I think.

I do not use Facebook.

Since you do keep changing features around, I will try the next version when it comes out.

Posted by carl_a 6/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am trying out the latest iOS app with Russian courses. Sometimes, I am seeing "None" where there should be cyrillic text. It's kind of difficult to guess the word in this case :-).

Posted by MaunoBrau 9/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • Oof, same as MaunoBrau. The iPhone iOS finally seems to be running okay, until I go and 'water' my words (Indonesian course) and about one out of five quiz words that come up, come up as 'None'. The Elders of Memrise might want to look into that...

Posted by edddiek 10/1/12 (1 year ago)
  • updated my iphone 4 from 5.1 to ios 6 , tried even uninstall and reinstall the app latest version and still during quiz random instances of words listed as NONE this is an ongoing bug that from what i've read is app related and not affecting the website / using web browser. shame really i was really liking the app but as my word list grows it's no longer possible to guess the correct one during a quiz

Posted by palulukanmakto.talengean 10/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • Somehow the app doesn't correctly sync the moduls I'm learning on the computer. Don't know why, of the 4 courses I take, only one is available in the app.

Posted by Wittgenstein 11/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Is it possible that only courses from memrise.com/beta are being synced and anything from the regular memrise.com page doesn't work on mobile? Or is it just me?

Posted by Wittgenstein 11/12/12 (1 year ago)