Cool language resource

I've recently been using a chrome extension (Language Immersion). What this extension does is selectively replace text on a webpage with your target language. You can select the level you are at. In addition, if you click on the target language words, it will show you the original text. It's a nice way to ease into reading Mandarin (both simplified and traditional) while surfing and reading articles.

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/15/12, last update 6/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • I just downloaded Chrome and the language immersion extension. It will take some adjustment and getting used to but it looks promising. Thanks!

Posted by dmheikin 6/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • UPDATE--I just read the New York Times using the Language Immersion addon. Very cool to read a story that is interspersed with a few characters. You can control the degree of intensity of translation and you can easily switch back to all English at any time. (It does slow down your reading speed and can get annoying after a time.) I also like be able to hear the phrase spoken. Thanks again for this suggestion!

Posted by dmheikin 6/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • However, I do have a concern about how accurate the language immersion choices are. Being a learner, I can't judge whether other characters might have been more appropriate.

Posted by dmheikin 6/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • The spanish immersion is pretty good (I tend to start translating everything into spanish which makes it good at activating my vocabulary.)
    The mandarin has me whimpering in a corner. I was probably that bad when I started really learning spanish. (It doesn't help that I have to increase the font size because I'm blind as a bat.) I guess what I would do (because I actually am doing this) is plug the characters into a dictionary program or another translation software (babelfish/google translate etc) and see what they come up with. Or, you could find a mandarin speaking connection who is willing to help you out.

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/18/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity