• I only use Memrise on an iPad, so I can't speak to comparison with how it looks on the computer, but I haven't had any issues with the fonts. In case it helps you, I use mine in landscape position, and I use a bluetooth Logitech keyboard so I don't have to take up screen space with an on-screen keyboard. (I tried other keyboards, really LOVE this one, but I'm on iPad 2 and I don't know if they've come out with one that fits the new iPad yet.)

Posted by Jill348 6/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have it coming up in two different fonts on my two different windows 7 computers. I assume I fiddled around and changed a default browser font at some point. It can be annoying but I thought it is probably also useful to learn how characters appear in different fonts, as you never know what font you might need to read them from in future.

Posted by mikedufty 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • The fonts between the iPhone/iPad app and the website are different and it is confusing. Any way to fix this?

Posted by ceeeeej 7/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • At first I was annoyed, but then I became aware of how important it is to understand this sooner rather than later. There are different fonts and peoples handwriting is grossly different. This is a very important lesson to learn if you actually plan on using chinese language to communicate. One of the aspects that I value highly is that the mandarin vocabulary has audio samples from more than one person. Male, Female, Possibly Beijing 北京,etc. It would be like studying anatomy or histology from a book and then becoming upset when the cadaver looks different or live tissue during a surgery. Over time you gain an apreciation for these new levels of knowledge and familiarity.

Posted by stoney 7/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • Some peoples hand written characters have no criss crosses. Others have a few benign crosses to speed up writing. Then there are other people who write the characters quickly in an almost cursive manner. Iwas only able to determine that 我 was Wo3 after being given a big hint ;) I was so embarassed!

Posted by stoney 7/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • The font on Opera on my Windows 7 computer comes up with a very different (and ugly) font than Firefox or IE on the same computer. I wonder if this is the same issue.

Posted by polymatter 7/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • The problem is due to that characters are displayed by iPhone/iPad using Japanese fonts.

The solution is to bring up Chinese up (upper than Japanese) in the list of priority. Just change the OS language to Chinese, then back to English.

Posted by Tianhk 8/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • 1/ Settings > General > International > Language > 筒体中文 > Done 2/ 没置 > 通 > 多语言环境 > 语言 > English > 完成

Posted by Tianhk 8/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you Tianhk. That was what I was looking for. Might finally be able to use memrise on my ipad now!

Posted by bjnsharp 8/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • 不客气

Posted by Tianhk 8/9/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity