Who am I and to whom did I say this?

因为他们是骑士的夏季和冬季即将到来。

I used Google translate so the translation might be a bit iffy.

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/8/12, last update 6/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • I guess no one has been watching HBO's Game of Thrones - the answer is " Katlyn Stark speaking to Renly baratheon - "Because these are the knights of summer and winter is coming."

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hopefully they will remake it soon with a Chinese cast!

Posted by carl_a 6/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • If they remake it, they have a high bar to pass. HBO has done a wonderful job with Game of Thrones. Maybe next time, I'll quote from the book or from a more famous movie (using google translate).

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • 游戏的宝座

Posted by carl_a 6/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • New quote - "没有,我是你爸爸"

Who am I and to whom did I say this?

This one's pretty obvious but it does get misquoted quite a lot...

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • I haven't even seen the film but I think it might well have something to do with Star Wars... I am more excited by being able to translate a whole sentence from Mandarin than knowing the film reference :o) By the way don't you need a 'de' (sorry, don't know how to type Chinese characters) after 'ni'? To make it 'your' instead of 'you'.

Posted by essarrbee 6/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'm using google translate for this - I can say stuff like I want this or I'm going "somewhere" but not these kind of lines. You don't always need the "de" for this type of scenario - wo3 de5 jia1 and wo3 jia1 are the same thing (At least that's what I concluded.). (I'm strictly beginner level.)
    I just want to have some fun on the forum and as a side benefit, if you like quoting movie lines, you can practice saying these lines. I guess I'll stop because there doesn't seem to be that much interest in this sort of thing...

Who am I = Darth Vadar (Anakin Skywalker) To Whom = Luke Skywalker

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • New quote - "寧我負人,毋人負我!"

http://www.memrise.com/set/10007992/15-giants-of-chinese-history/

This is one of the more eclectic lists that I'm subscribed to. I found the quote online and it reminded me a bit of Game of Thrones.

Posted by carl_a 6/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • Cao Cao ?

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • Yes. I had not heard of 曹操 (Cao2 Cao1) until he came up in that list. I didn't realize though, that the exact wording of his quote is somewhat in dispute. The basic point does tend to be "I would rather betray others than have them betray me." It is a fictionalized account from 三国演义 (Romance of the Three Kingdoms) so its not necessarily true that he was as evil real life as he sounds in that account. Basically, I thought the associated story sounded like something from a movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao#Murder_of_L.C3.BC_Boshe

He reminds me of villains from Quentin Terantino films; likeable in some sense, but very bad.

Posted by carl_a 6/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • I liked the quote when I figured it out. It sounded like one of those really great bad guy quotes like this one -

"If one good deed I did, I do repent it from my very soul" Shakespeare.

From his description, he seemed like China's version of Machiavelli. Or, Tyrion Lannister.

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms was written sometime in the 14th century. William Shakespeare was probably most active in the last decade of the 16th century. If Shakespeare wrote Titus Andronicus, it was probably around 1590. Its interesting to think that while Shakespeare could not have read 'Romance of the Three Kingdoms', there's a decent chance that George R.R. Martin could have encountered both works. Martin grew up reading comic books though, so I would hazard to say that any influence is possibly indirect...although still relevant.

Posted by carl_a 6/19/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity