Esperanto FAQ / Community Guidelines / Conventions

v 0.1 Everyone is invited and we'd love your help.

In writing the community guidelines, I am hoping to foster a culture of inclusion. The community guidelines are a work in progress, and if there is a better way to do things, let's hear it. The mentality behind creating a set of community guidelines is so that anyone can pick up a word set and be on the same page as everyone else. The key is to create community guidelines that are easy to understand and follow universally accepted Esperanto education methods.

Don't be wordy.

If the definition is longer than 50 characters, it will look “ugly”. Find a way to define words with as few words as possible, but not at the cost of being ambiguous.

Ambiguity is the enemy.

If there is even a hint of confusion in a definition, it could lead to a user learning the wrong definition for a word. Make sure you use specific language in your definitions.

Keep grammar and vocab separate.

Many people have started making sets with grammar patterns and particles. If you wish to do so, put it in a separate set, away from vocabulary items. This allows users who wish to not learn grammar patterns this way the option to study just vocabulary in a clean manner.

Use the letters ŝ ĝ ĵ ĥ ĉ ŭ , NOT the x system sx gx jx hx cx ux since memrise has the ability to enter the letters ŝ ĝ ĵ ĥ ĉ ŭ on the browser, and all personal computers can be outfitted with a Esperanto keyboard (or typed in manually using Unicode - without a EO keyboard)

This is one source for learning how to put a EO keyboard on your computer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto_orthography#Practical_Unicode_for_Esperanto

Posted by memrise_ 3/11/12, last update 11/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • I DON"T like the words with the / in it - use a proper ending, All nouns in Esperanto end with O. (Nouns are names of thıngs.) + Use the singular word in your entryTo make a word plural, add a J:+ leave 'n' out of the ending - to single word entries In Esperanto, we show the direct object of a sentence by adding an N. This lets us change the order of the parts of the sentence without changing the meaning. (A direct object is that which is directly acted upon by the verb)All adjectives in Esperanto end with A. (Adjectives are used to describe nouns.)Verb formsInfinitives end in I. In the present tense, verbs always end in AS, in the past in IS, and in the future in OS. There are no irregular verbs! US for the conditional form and U for the command form The E ending is used to create adverbs. (Adverbs are words that descrıbe verbs.)

Posted by Talisman 3/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • For all words:

• Add the word with the proper accents -- the ĉ ĝ ĥ ĵ ŝ ŭ
    • Add the x-sistemo version as an Esperanto alternative with an underscore in front so it won't be shown during a learning session: e.g. for the word ĉapelo, as an alternative write _cxapelo. DO NOT write the x-sistemo version as the main word.
    • Do not separate the parts of the word (e.g. write 'matenmanĝo' instead of 'maten/manĝ/o')
    • Add the parts of speech: adj. (adjectives), n. (nouns), pro. (pronouns), v. (verbs), prep. (prepositions)
    • If a word has separate meanings (e.g. ĉapelo means hat but it also means circumflex) add them as two different words.

Nouns:

• Add the singular, unless it is always used in the plural
    • Leave out the accusative ending (-n) unless it always has an accusative (e.g. phrases such as 'dankon' and 'saluton')
    • Do not use any articles
    • In the part of speech field, put 'n.'

Adjectives:

• Add the singular, non-accusative version

Verbs:

• Add the infinitive form (this always ends in -i)
    • In the English definition field, add the infinitive form (e.g. 'to sleep', not just 'sleep')
    • Add whether it is transitive (trans.) or instransitive (intrans.) in the 'special properties' field.

Phrases:

• Please don't add punctuation unless it is absolutely necessary for the meaning.
    Posted by spacegandalf 4/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have put those up on the site here http://www.memrise.com/faq/esperanto/ - Talisman, could you let us know what you think of those and if any changes are needed?

Thank you very much,

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • The Conventions state "Add whether it is transitive (trans.) or instransitive (intrans.) in the 'special properties' field.". In practice, from what I have seen, people are not doing this. The current practice seems to be to put "v (tr)" or "v (intr)" in the Part field. I think that is useful because the Part field appears as a column in the course wordlists, and is easily seen when learning. In fact, since the part of speech is almost always obvious in Esperanto, making the tr/intr distinction is surely the most useful role for the Part field.

Because there is no mention of how to use the Part field for tr/intr in the Conventions, some people are putting "V(trans)", "trans" "V(tr)", etc., instead of "V (tr)". Since consistency is a virtue, I suggest that the conventions be updated to reflect current best practice, i.e., delete mention of the 'special properties' field, and recommend specifying "v (tr)", "V (intr)" in the 'part' field.

Some verbs can be used in both transitively and intransitively. In ReVo (http://www.reta-vortaro.de), these verbs are marked "(x)" e.g. kredi unless specific "(tr)" and "(ntr)" uses are defined e.g. kalkuli. In such cases, I suggest either putting "v (tr/intr)" or entering tr and intr meanings as separate words.

Posted by farpung 11/9/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity