Best Spanish Courses on Memrise....

and in what order? I've started out with "Exito de venta" (Spanish Idioms), "First 5,000 Words of Spanish", and "Introductory Spanish". There are so many courses to choose from, so I'd like to know from the advanced/proficent learners of Spanish here, which courses you recommend, in order from beginners to advanced. Thank you for your help!

Posted by memrise_ 3/6/12, last update 5/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • I would not do introductory spanish if I were you, it is a sprinkling of words from different subjects, and won't do well as a foundation.  Focus on either top 5000 or top 1000 first, because those are the words that you are going to need to understand most sentence structure.  Also, depending on where you plan to do your speaking, there are a few classes created by people who learned by travelling to different regions.  So those will help you get familiar with regional terms ( the words which have sexual connotations, in particular, vary vastly from place to place )

Posted by alexhughson 3/8/12 (2 years ago)
  • I went through easy ones, "100+ Most Common Words in Spanish" & "At the Restaurant". Now working on, "First 1000 words of Spanish" & "Introductory Spanish" and of course my personal set, "Body Parts (Outter)". All pretty good except for the fact they "teach" Spanish from Spain, not Latino Spanish.

Posted by sfrenchie 3/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • I find "Introductory Spanish" pretty bad indeed: a lot of completely useless words and also the translation are not correct!! For example the Spanish words are all with an article before but not in English so for example "drink" should be "a drink" or "to drink" : this is very upsetting!! There should be a way to vote or like a course and give negative feedback on others (and then those courses after too much bad feedback should disappear...) Am just a noob os feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Posted by alias8 4/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • I would not say it's pretty bad, rather that it is not perfect and indeed contains useless words. Notice you can skip words from the menu. As for the articles in the English version there is a convention on Memrise to not use them. How do you know the difference between drink noun and verb? At the top, over the word, you can see a N or a V, sometimes during testing it can be frustrating indeed and I have made numerous mistakes. I do agree that it doesn't make sense to not have "to" for English verbs. In your example the verb is To drink, not Drink.

Posted by sfrenchie 4/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • Correction: the To of verbs is already there so you might have found one where it was missing. You can put a comment in Discuss Item from the gray menu and Ben is extremely fast at correcting mistakes in sets.

Posted by sfrenchie 4/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks for pointing out where I can comment on the Course. There is inconsistency in how the words are presented to us since they have an article in Spanish and not in English, for example "La Playa" is "Beach" instead of the "the beach", this is confusing as sometimes they do include the articles. I will make my comments to Ben. Thanks.

Posted by alias8 4/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • @alias8, the convention in the Spanish wiki is to always add the Spanish word with the definite article because that helps to learn the gender. But the English word is added without the definite article. I know that this seems inconsistent, but the reason is that in English the definite article doesn't change, and adding it to every noun just serves to make the words look more similar which therefore makes them harder to learn. The Spanish word without the definite article should be added as an "alternative Spanish" which means that you shouldn't be marked wrong for writing that. If you are, then please leave a comment on the word and that will be fixed ASAP.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • Exito de Venta is certainly south American Spanish, though most of the phrases work in Spain too. I really don't think it makes any sense for beginners to worry about which version they're learning.

Posted by RabbitWho 4/30/12 (1 year ago)
  • RabbitWho, I completely disagree with you post. Learning English from U.K. i.e. a windscreen and from U.S.A. e.i windshield is indeed no biggy. It's very easy later on to switch one for the other. When it comes to learning Spanish from Spain or from central/south America it's a different ballgame. Not only some words are different but also pronunciation rules are. Once a "pronunciation" is learned it is very difficult to switch to another for the same words. Take the pronunciation rules for "G" as an example. Pronounce G as in Dog - If G comes before the letters e or i, the sound is the same as that of the Spanish J. Works for American Spanish but it seems in Spain it's not always applied. Example: seguir (seGir in Mexico) (seJir in Spain)

Posted by sfrenchie 4/30/12 (1 year ago)
  • If you've got a good grasp of Spanish, 'Spanish Vocab - Advanced' is a fantastic course. Really good mix of relevant vocab, I think it deserves more attention (its quite far down the list).

Posted by MemeMonster 5/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • +1 to what sfrenchie said....see other thread I commented on re spanish and mexicanish...

Posted by mercutio 5/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hola Alias8...Regarding your post about confusion with "la playa" vs "playa," the way I understand it is that the direct translation of beach is playa. But when you use the word in a sentence you ALWAYS use its definite article. And the article MUST match the gender of the noun. Therefore, it is necessary to learn the noun's definite article as well as the definition.

So the definition of beach is playa. You use it in a sentence as, "Vamos a la playa."

Hope this helps. Forrest

Posted by forrestc 5/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • No that's not true, you don't always have to use the definite article with "playa" it's just there to show the gender, like with all the nouns. You say "la playa" in some sentences, "playa" in others and "una playa" in others. It depends on the context.

Be sure not to just learn vocab but grammar as well, there are lots of sites to help you.. Here's a lesson on definite articles in Spanish: http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/defart1.htm They're more or less the same as in English, but with a few exceptions.

Posted by RabbitWho 5/18/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity