iPhone app 1.1

Hi! We have just released version 1.1 on the app store, its spreading through the different stores and should be available to you all soon. The major changes for you in this release:

Progress is tracked per wordlist, for each wordlist you can choice to do plant, grow, harvest or water learning sessions.

Scoring summary after each learning session

Better handling of sign in so that your application does not end up in zombie state.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/5/12, last update 6/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • Didn't realise there was an Iphone app until now, fantastic!

Posted by snugget 6/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • First encounter report.

An update showed up as soon as I checked the iPhone Apps. Downloaded smoothly.

Been a long time since I looked at v1.0 and have forgotten the interface, but some things have changed.  My sessions is now called Home, but it is still analogous to the gardens screen rather than the website dashboard. 

I chose one of the smaller wordlists with "water 1" ( or maybe 2) against it.  A progress bar appeared but nothing happened in several minutes.  Figured it had maybe hung up so went back to exploring.  Put the phone down to start typing this.  Returned to phone to find app had quit.  Agreed to prompt asking to send a report.

Logged in again and tried the smallest course. This has 11 entries. One needed watering. Clicked on the "more details" arrow and selected "water 1".  Progress bar appeared, took more than a minute, but then a test appeared. 

Test was NOT the watering of the single wilting plant, but watering all eleven words.

At end of test was given three statistics, but the third disappeared before I had time to read it.

Noticed during test that the progress bar was as in v1.0, i.e. it is hidden by default. And if you choose to display it, it hides the continue button, so I got timed out on one word while trying to click continue, and then trying to hide the progress bar.

Posted by revans 6/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • I love the new app, but I have some similar experiences to "revans."

I am studying some large lists. When I try to water or do anything with them, I only get the white screen for a few seconds, and then the app quits.

I have had success with smaller lists, but it seems I can't choose to water only wilting words. It seems I can only choose to water all the words in my garden.

In reference to the app quitting, should I only use shorter lists on the app? ...or is something else the problem?

Posted by _deleted_130603_0346_46 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • Just spend 30 minutes trying to use the app (in China, on an itouch4).

The new app dashboard looks really nice, very clean and welcoming.

Unfortunately, the app is fairly unstable, often crashing or freezing. I was unable to download any of my lists for watering, even if the size was just 30 plants. After some time, I was eventually able to do two sessions of planting. For some reason, rather than planting the 5 new words, the app also added in some review of old words, which was a little confusing.

After completing them, I wasn't able to grow them anymore - it refused to download the list - as with the watering toolbar, it just displays the first part of the progress bar as blue, doesn't seem to move, and gives no percentage/estimated time to indicate if it is actually working.

The app interface for answering questions is unattractive, using a robotic looking font. The time limit is moved out of view when you try to type an answer - just the time when you need to see it as you struggle to use the keyboard in time.

You need to click edit to refresh a list, and strangely that's next to the 'all powerful delete course button'. I assumed it would just hide the course in the app, but actually it deletes them from the main website page as well.

The find out more page takes a surprising amount of time to load, and isn't the right size - making it awkward to read.

Overall the app is still pretty much unusable, which is a real shame, as not only would it be very nice to have, but it's also the most practical way to show it to potential new turners. I've already converted a fair few people to Pleco (an amazing Chinese dictionary/reader/flashcard app), and would love to do the same with Memrise.

Posted by TL-Talafar 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • The numbers should be reflected in the cae session, im sorry that this is currently not the case and that it make the application rather unstable and slow.

I have a few of the crash reports to look through, if its not to much trouble perhaps you could send me an email with the wordlist you are trying and a screenshot of where the crash happens. Im available at mathias (at) memrise

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • For me, any time I try to water more than 20-30 plants, the app goes to the white screen for a few seconds and then turns black and quits. I suspect it may not be able to handle pulling all of the data through China's firewall. But...this happens after the list is downloaded to my device, so I'm not sure if that's right.

Posted by _deleted_130603_0346_46 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • joseph: you are right that its related to the session length rather then the actual download from the first reports. There is also a case where, if you are a long term learner, the first sessions takes a long time, possibly stops to complete. We are working on both ends. The performance should increase per session.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • A second look

The app has inherited the annoying purple clock icon. But to no avail, as when you are typing it has been scrolled up out of sight, as TL-Talafar noted above.

During a testing session there is a 'permanent' progress bar which shows how far you are through the test, but again, this is at the top of the screen so you can't see it while you are typing (not a big deal in this case as it is when you have submitted a word that you have time to look at this). However it appears to duplicate the progress bar that lurks at the bottom of the screen, hidden until you click the arrow, and then hiding most of the continue button when it is shown. This lower bar appears to be redundant.

At the end of each test, you get three statistics presented to you dynamically - the number of words, the % correct, and then the points you have scored, which is displayed being added up, and is removed from the screen before you can see the final result (special effect which only serves to irritate).

I don't think I've used the website app today, and yet my score has been updated by quite a few hundred points - is the app returning the score to the mothership? If so, is it also returning statistics on mistakes? (Which could be annoying if it brings forward watering times when I'm just playing with the app).

Today the app started speaking to me (pronouncing the words). It is clearly memrise in miniature, with the sound clips downloaded as well. If it downloads all this stuff for every word in a set, including at least one mem for each word, then no wonder it is slow loading (and I wonder about bandwidth usage when you've out of reach of wifi?).

I like the words being pronounced but maybe this should be an option, as many of us have said for the website.

One last thing - although some of the screen furniture is copied from the website (the query, the purple clock) there is no indication which language you are being tested in. I'm learning three languages on memrise and sometimes you get distracted in the middle of a test and need to remind yourself which language is being tested right now. On the website, you just scroll up and you can see. Here there is no such help. This is a minor thing but I've already put a test on hold to answer a phone call and entered the wrong language when I came back!

Posted by revans 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • Help!

I got to the end of watering all 51 plants in a basic Coralie French course and slipped up on the last item (hit return on the onscreen keyboard by mistake). This brought up the definition and a mem, which included a YouTube URL. Not sure if it was an active link so clicked on it. It was active, and so off we went into YouTube and one of Coralie's nice little microvideos. And then when it stopped, I cculdn't figure ouot how to get out of it. I figured that closing it down using the Home button would close YouTube and I could start memrise. It closes it, but when I click on memrise I'm back in YouTube.

This is probably my ignorance of basic iPhone facilities, but what do I do to get out of this?

(PS it's in YouTube but it still has the memrise progress bar gadget at the bottom - opening that tells me I've completed the set, in fact done 53 out of 51 words.)

Aha. Opening the progress bar at the bottom of the screen also showed an unobtrusive < sign. Clicking on that has taken me back into memrise.

So no need for help after all.

Posted by revans 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • A rigorous test today. Before earning any points on the website, I used the app. And yes, it adds points used on the iPhone to your score on the website. And also updates the status of words when you water them - if at the start of a session you had two plants in a wordlist that were in need of watering, at the end, after you have synched (refreshed the wordlist), there are no plants that need watering.

One bug here - the app shows the right number of words for the wordlist - 38 - but the progress bar at the bottom shows 39 words total.

And one more good thing - the back < arrow always appears when you show the progress bar at the bottom of the screen, so you can suspend a session at any time. (Or maybe quit it, I'm not sure)

Posted by revans 6/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • ciao! I just thought I would write a quick note, we have identified the bug with learning sessions being to large. if you download new sessions, they should add up to the actual number.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thanks mathias!

Posted by revans 6/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • I can't seem to submit feedback through the app. Is it just me? Anyway, here's what I was going to submit... It would be nice if there was a way to disable the audio clips on the app, because when it plays it turns off whatever I'm currently listening to (Pandora at the moment).

Posted by jakkii 6/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • When you download the sections you want to be tested on (Plant, Grow, Harvest and Water) are you tested on them collectively, or do you have to go through each of them separately? At first I thought it was running through all of them, but now I'm not sure.

Posted by jakkii 6/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Adding a mem does not seem to be supported, the window is too large for my iPhone4. Once you try to add a mem, you have to close the app entirely using the multitasking bar. Just wanted to feedback on this, in case it's not known yet.

Posted by jmtan 6/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Pros 1, Appearance similar to website 2, ability to control quantity of seeds to plant (as on website)

Cons Very buggy 1, failed to plant seeds on some courses 2, courses showing incorrect numbers for watering 3, points total disappears too quickly to read it 4, images too small on picture courses

Overall - liked the new format, just needs the creases ironed out

Posted by gwiwer 6/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • jakkil: The sections are separate, so you choice what types of word you want to practice. We are working on reducing the download aspect to make it more continues. The audio problem is known and being ironed out.

jmtan: This is indeed a bug, thank you for bring it to my attention.

gwiwer: happy that you enjoyed the format ;) We got a few updates coming along which hopefully will iron out some of the issues.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Mathias, the app has better appearance now but as I start to do anything with the app - try to water o else- it stated to download too much time and thet it was a white sceen only. No work, only white screen and then it crushed. 8-( What should I do, may be delete the app and then download next time?

Posted by Annamain 6/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • anna: the white loading screen for watering sesssion can be present for considerable amount of time when its loading the tests. Perhaps you can send me an email at mathias (at) memrise with some screenshots and we can try to nail down what is going wrong.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • I tried out the new Memrise app with a 4th generation iPod Touch running iOS 5.1.1. The UI is theoretically much, much improved over the first version of the app--I can see how it might be useful. However, in just one day of use, I've already had to uninstall/reinstall once and it looks like it might have failed again. It doesn't seem like the new version has sync working yet.

My use case is learning words on the subway during my morning and evening commute. What I want to do, is check out all of my words that need to be watered, go over them when offline, and resync later. I don't want to have to go list by list. I would add, I would pay money for an app that actually functions like the current UI implies.

It might be useful if there was some UI indicator so that I could quickly determine where the problem lies. I keep switching to other apps to make sure I have a solid network connection. Maybe I'm cutting it off too soon. However, when I progress bar is frozen, I'm realistically only going to let the iPod sit for a couple minutes before I assume it has failed.

Posted by carl_a 6/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • Yes, I'm the same. If the progress bar doesn't seem to be moving I assume it's frozen after 2 minutes waiting. If it's moving very slowly (but enough to be noticeable) I can go and make tea or something.

Either way it's not ideal. Would it be possible to set up the app so the wordlists themselves are permanently downloaded to peoples phone/itouch/ipad, and make the syncing just involve where you are with the words?

Mems and edits could be synced every week or so.

Posted by TL-Talafar 6/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • "Would it be possible to set up the app so the wordlists themselves are permanently downloaded to peoples phone/itouch/ipad, and make the syncing just involve where you are with the words?"

I strongly support this design strategy as well.

Posted by carl_a 6/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • To iPhone app: it was really frozen in the way to download particular acting (the same with wateing, seeding o growing processes). I wasn`t able to work, the white screen was more then 10 min and then the app crushed.

Strongly support carl_a about the possibility of previous app to download everything in one click and then to use the app in a subway or another place of poor internet connection.

Mathias, Ive emailed you some today screenshots, may be itll be helpful.

Posted by Annamain 6/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • TL-Talafar, Carl: Its a good approach and something we want to achieve, Its currently not possible to sync content to the client in that manner but we are getting closer to it.

Anna; We are working on shortest possibly sync and to make it into one action triggered by the user or the app, to topup all learning sessions. So effectively one bundle to download.

The longer term goal is to reduce what is synced and when its needed, gradually make it more and more complete in a complete offline mode.

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 6/25/12 (1 year ago)