Ungehobelt = crude?

Hello,

In the German adj. lesson there is "ungehobelt" and the English translation is "crude", however when I read the explanations below, it seems that should be unplaned. In Pons there is nothing about ungehobelt/crude, so I was wondering if ungehobelt can indeed be translated by "crude". German speakers please ^^

Posted by avonlean 5/31/12, last update 7/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • A "Hobel" is actually a carpenter's plane and "hobeln" means to plane. So something which is "ungehobelt" hasn't been smoothed out with a carpenter's plane. This is the most literal meaning of the word. But if something hasn't been thus finished, it is crude, rough or coarse; this is where its alternative meanings stem from. Some synonyms for "ungehobelt" are "grob," "unbeholfen," "schwerfällig," "derb," "rüde" and "unhöflich." Remember the wonderful flexibility of language! duden.de is a great all-German online dictionary and there are some other good ones with English translations (Beolingus isn't bad), but beware of relying on just one dictionary for translations:)

Posted by Trux 6/3/12 (2 years ago)
  • dict.cc is a great online dictionary. For your ungehobelt it has about 20 different english words. It delivers the different usages quite good in my opinion: http://www.dict.cc/?s=ungehobelt

Posted by Obraka 6/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • ungehobelt is an adjective used to describe a rude person, a roughian if you so will (hobeln, as said above, means to plane a wooden workpiece).

and I can really recommend dict.leo.org, a great ressource to find a "true" translation that covers the meaning instead of the literal translation.

Posted by TL-Parnass 7/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Actually, there's only one context in which we use "ungehobelt" unless we're carpenters, and that would be "rude", aka unhöflich, unfreundlich, schroff, harsch. Both "un" words are used frequently, the others from time to time.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 7/22/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity