Plural 'you' inconsistency

Heya,

Been having a bit of a poke around, and I've found a few discrepancies between courses.

'voi' has been translated to English variously as 'you all', 'you (plural)' and 'you (form pl.) - and I only looked at 3 courses!

Personally, I think it would be best to standardise them all to 'you all' (unless I'm overlooking a grammatical reason not to?), since it's quicker and easier to read without the brackets, and thus hopefully easier to remember.

There also seems to be a lack of consensus on whether or not to include the formal 'you's. Personally I think I do find it helpful to have e.g. both 'loro bevono - they drink' and 'Loro bevono - You all drink (formal)' on the word list.

What do you guys reckon?

Posted by logana13 5/28/12, last update 6/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am really sorry that there is such inconsistency in the wiki - all entries should conform to the conventions - www/memrise.com/topic/italian/conventions, and each word should only exist once. We are going to be doing a lot of merging of the items in the Italian wiki, which should dramatically reduce the number of these duplicates. If you can post links to the particular courses that have duplicated items in them, then I will prioritise those and get them fixed ASAP.

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick response, and no need to apologise (just trying to help!) but duplicated items wasn't really the issue I was trying to get at. The issue is more an inconsistency of formatting. I had a look at the wiki, but I don't think these issues are covered there.

a) I couldn't see anything there about whether to use 'you all', 'you (plural)' or 'you (form pl.)' in English translations of voi/formal Loro. The three courses I looked at which have this discrepancy are i) 'Italian Verbs - 150 with Present Tense Conjugations' (uses 'you all have', which I believe to be the correct form), ii) 'Italian Tense Endings' (uses 'you (plural)'), and iii) 'Italian Conjugations' (uses 'you (form pl.)')

Also 'loro bevono - they drink' and 'Loro bevono - You all drink (formal)' doesn't strike me as a duplication because they're being used in different senses. While the Italian looks the same, the English is different, and I believe it's important to learn both 'they drink' and 'You drink (formal)' separately. Even though the Italian is the same, if we don't learn both of them separately, we may not form a mental connection to both translations when we learn it.

Sorry if I was (or still am being) unclear.

Polly

Posted by logana13 5/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry to be slow replying. Yes, I see your point - I think it would be best to standardise them all to "you are".

For conjugated verbs the best thing might be to put the part of the verb in the "part of speech" field.

eg:

word: loro bevono definition: you drink (formal) part of speech: 3p pl

That might be neater than using the "you all drink" terminology, which might be confusing. The "part of speech shows up during testing.

How does that sound?

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   6/7/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity