Short phrases/sentences would be fun

I'm just starting, still on the Mandarin Survival, but it would be fun to occasionally be tested on a short sentence comprised of the words I've learned. That could give me a feel for how sentences are put together and how the individual words sound when spoken together. It would also make what I've learned feel more useful and I'd have phrases that I could try out on the Chinese people I know. I've learned already that saying a single word with no context makes it hard for them to know which word I'm trying to pronounce. An additional bonus would be that I think it would add quite a bit harder challenge to the quiz.

Posted by joulieboolie 5/22/12, last update 6/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I believe testing for sentences is in the works. From what Ben has described, the concepts they've been trying sound pretty interesting. When this goes live, it has the potential to be an extremely powerful language learning feature.

In the meantime though, I suggest using other resources to learn full sentences. Memrise is first and foremost a memorising aid (for vocabulary). It's most effective when used in conjunction with another learning course.

If it's just sample sentences you're after, I've recently been using nciku. You can search by character, and the samples they give are generally at the right level for a learner to understand.

http://www.nciku.com/

Posted by extantpanda 5/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'd also like to see some examples given for those of us that speak Mandarin but aren't sure of which characters are used where.

For example: You're teaching 土. There could be a module underneath that reveals some examples of 土 being used like 土豆.

Posted by loller 6/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I wonder if there is a course that just gives phrases such as : good morning, good evening, a pleasure to meet you, how much, how long, I'm sorry, Can I...?, How do you...?, etc...

Posted by jenniferhunter 6/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yeah this would be great. In fact, it would be even better if newly learned words could be incorporated into these new phrases we learn (automatically).

For example, we learn 牛肉 (beef)

For our newly learned phrase of (Do you have ..? 你有__吗?), you can incorporate the new word BEEF:

你有牛肉吗?

Posted by slashers 6/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Totally agree. At the moment memrise depends on user-submitted 'sample' mems for this, but not that many users submit them. I wish there were some way to automatically bring in some existing corpus of example words (like 土豆 for 土) and example phrases (like 你有牛肉吗? for 牛肉).

For example words, I think it should be feasible using word-frequency data - so that e.g. the 3 most common words that feature 土 woud automatically be shown.

Example sentences might be trickier. Sites like tatoeba.org provide example sentences - although they are sometimes far too long and complicated for our purposes. It'd be great if memrise could license something like the example sentences from Tuttle's Learner Dictionary from the pleco app, which are really good, but I guess this might be expensive.

Posted by Azimuth 6/15/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity