changes

I've seen pinyin listed as zhu3 for the radical

Posted by snowcreature99 5/7/12, last update 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • You are right, but I think that this is rare enough that we shouldn't confuse people with it - it is now used as a word on its own, so I think that it isn't worth the time to learn it. Does that sound ok?

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • No worries from me if that's what you'd like to do. I'll create variants for my own word list that have the pronunciation (so I can learn them). Thanks!

Posted by snowcreature99 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hmm, I'm afraid that that is going to be a bit tricky - words on Memrise don't belong to word lists, they belong to the whole wiki. So there would be two issues with creating other versions:

1- during routine merging of duplicates, your items would be merged into the main wiki item

2 - if we managed to avoid 1, then your item would not have any of the parent relationships that the main wiki item has, and so you wouldn't have any of that functionality.

So really we need to think of a solution that does work for everyone as well as possible. How many words like this are there do you think? Might it work to have a pronunciation mem telling you how it is pronounced, but not be tested on it regularly?

Best wishes

Ben

• Ah. Ok well let me not do that then... created a couple just now but sure they're easily deleted. Doesn't sound like there's any good way for me to do this in Memrise.

Would be nice to have a complete wordset of the radicals and their pronunciation though. Was thinking of doing the same for the ten Heavenly Stems, since they seem to pop up from time to time and I'd like to drill them - but maybe the same problem with some of them.

Might be able to set up a word list for this in Skritter (or already be one), will take a look at that.

Posted by snowcreature99 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think that for the heavenly stems this should be possible - they are commonly spoken so do have pronunciations. Are you finding that they don't on Memrise?

If it is just learning the names of the radicals, but you don't mind about them being connected up to other items in the Memrise wiki, then you could just create a course under the "other" topic. That would let you drill those easily. How does that sound?

best wishes

Ben

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity