Add classifiers, Emphasize Chinese recall more than english

It would be great to start adding the classifier for each noun. You can present the classifier subtly without making it the focus. Also, I wish that the emphasis on recall would be given to the chinese pronounciation with the english word receiving less emphasis so that I can start thinking in chinese instead of english. This site is great for building vocabulary in a tangible way with eustress. The linguist Paul Nation writes about the importance of building vocabulary starting with concrete nouns without too much of a challenge. The next step is pedagological readers ( simple reading )

Posted by stoney 5/5/12, last update 5/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • An example of different classifiers for different nouns is 一本书 yi4 ben1 shu1 ( one book ) 一份报纸 yi2 fen4 bao4 zhi3 ( one newspaper ) You do not need to overwhelm people by emphasizing the classifier, but you can provide it to the side so that people do not build a large vocabulary of characters without knowing the classifier. The lack of being able to associate classifiers with nouns would not impact reading or listening as much as it would impact the speaking and writing.

Posted by stoney 5/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • I also wish that the chinese pronounciation would have slightly more emphasis than the english word. It definitely helps to know what the english word is do eliminate ambiguity, but I would like to emphasize the chinese pronounciation and pinyin ( aproximation ) more so that my recall in chinese is faster than in english ( long term goal ). I speak spanish well, ( very close to english ) and I am able to speak without hesitation and understand more because I think in spanish. Not in english. So, I was hoping that the path to the target language would begin to emphasize recall of the target language more than english. It is important to reduce ambiguity and not provide too much of a challenge in order to commit new vocabulary to memory, but it is eventually important to recall the character in chinese first.

Posted by stoney 5/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • You might be interested in Measure Word Mania, a mandarin list that teaches some classifiers by means of short phrases: http://www.memrise.com/set/10019022/measure-word-mania/

You make a good point: I hope that in the future, there will be a place in wiki entries (word pages) for classifiers/measure words, and a way to optionally see these when being tested on nouns. Maybe as part of 'extra info' or similar.

As for emphasising chinese - does this already happen to some extent? I have an idea that memrise tests you first on english, then chinese, and if you keep getting the word correct you'll be tested on the chinese recognition and pronunciation rather than the english? I might be completely wrong though...

Posted by Azimuth 5/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • I like the idea - especially with mandarin because measure words are such an intrinsic part of the language that you would sound weird if you used the measure word for bottles and you were actually talking about people.

Posted by jenniferhunter 5/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • Measure Word Mania is really helpful for associating the measure words with the Nouns. I'd like some definitions of exactly what TYPES of NOUNS the various measure words are associated with (for example zhang1 -- yi1 zhang1 zhi3, yi1 zhang1 zhuo1 zi - could be defined as a "classifier for flat items").

Posted by kevsunblush 5/22/12 (1 year ago)
  • @kevsunblush - good point. One way to do this would be via 'extra info' mems, but then these would be tied to that particular sentence.

A better way, I think, would be: 1) Add the relevant measure word as a 'parent' in each Measure Word Mania sentence 2) Give an explanation of which types of nouns are associated with that measure word on that word's page - ideally as one of its 'alternative meanings', with any extra explanation in 'extra info'.

I think the infrastructure is creaking a bit due to the new wiki, so I can't do an example right now, but hopefully it's clear what I mean. Anyway, all of us who use MWM now (in theory) have the opportunity to improve the list; you don't need to be a curator.

Posted by Azimuth 5/22/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity