Memrise on iPad

Hey all - just wanted to pass along a few thoughts on my user experience with Memrise via a iPad3. I really only study Mandarin word lists.

Big picture is that it is entirely usable, just has a few rough edges. With a minimum of optimization it could be tuned perfectly for iPad. Probably 85% of the way there already.

Here are a few items that I think need attention: 1. Mute button does not seem to work 2. Mute button does not retain its state, would expect it to stay muted until turned back on (or logout) 3. The drop down edit menu for words is too small to be usable. And having edit right next to ignore in this menu is a huge problem - since as far as I can tell there is no way to un-ignore in Memrise. One fat finger on a tiny screen and that word is gone forever. 4. If possible, mute button should block download not just playback to minimize mobile data load 5. After finishing a test, the formatting of the waypoint page are a bit messed up in landscape mode. Upper left menu partially obscured by graphics. 6. In landscape mode it would be great to adjust formatting so that one can see the pinyin or definition that appears in the upper right when a correct answer is typed in. Right I have to a really quickly scroll up or I miss it.

That's all for now. I love Memrise on iPad!

Posted by snowcreature99 5/4/12, last update 11/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you very much for this - very useful feedback. Mathias and his team are working hard on the new app release, but I will see if they can fit in some time to optimize the main issues with using the main site on the ipad as well.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • thank you, that is very useful stuff, nice!

Posted by mathias.dahlstrom 5/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • One more - when in the character view that lets one across through mems, for example when first seeing a new word, the left right scroll arrows don't work right on iPad. They skip forward and back by two mems, instead of one by one.

Is the weirdest thing but consistently reproducible.

Posted by snowcreature99 5/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • @snowcreature - actually that is not specific to the ipad - it is a bug on the site at the moment, and we are getting it fixed right now. Sorry about that!

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Honestly it works pretty well in Safari - if it could just be optimized a bit, an app isnt really even needed

Posted by mjmadaio 5/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yeah, the site works well on safari. I don't understand the need for an app honestly because it's never be as full functioned as the website. The only major issue is the mute button, it is incredibly annoying because I like to listen to (German) music while I learn and I can't do that with memrise pausing it every 6 seconds.

Posted by Robodl95 5/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • The reason some of us want an app so strongly is to get the key bits of memrise functionality when we're not connected. E.g on long train or plane journeys, or staying in a holiday place with poor or zero connection.

I use memrise through a tablet nearly all the time, and it works pretty well now. But a useful app which worked with minimal requirement to synch would be a real bonus.

An analogy - because you have a hifi which works really well, do you say you don't need an iPod or similar? No, you use the iPod when you're disconnected from your CD collection (or music streamer or whatever).

A good iPad or iPhone app would be like the portable music player - download your chosen playlists (wordlists) and take them with you. If you can't connect it doesn't matter until you've played all the songs (learned all the words).

If you could check back in with memrise HQ

Posted by revans 5/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry, big finger problem.

If, when you can connect again, you could synch the progress you've made on the app with the server at memrise HQ, this would be nirvana - but an app that couldn't synch or only did it in a basic way would still be a marvellous tool.

Posted by revans 5/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I've been loving the ipad app. However yesterday it quit being able to connect via wi-fi. I have my other app's connections. Is this a problem your are aware of?

Posted by TommyT 5/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • Is there a way to lock the keyboard on screen so it doesn't dissapears after answering each question?

Posted by bjnsharp 5/31/12 (2 years ago)
  • I love using memrise on my iPad. There is one thing that I regret. Hovering over with the mouse doesn't function on iPad. Therefor I can't edit words with the the iPad.

Posted by adekker 6/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • @bjnsharp - I've not found any way to lock the keyboard up. In fact have gotten in the habit of immediately collapsing it so that I can see the additional info (pronunciation / definition / etc) which appear for a moment when you give a correct answer.

Posted by snowcreature99 6/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • @adekker:

Ben has said memrise will address the related issue of being unable to edit mems on the iPad, so hopefully when this happens this will be improved too. But I suspect any fix is quite a few weeks away.

Posted by revans 6/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • Great, I can wait. Thanks.

Posted by adekker 6/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello,

I'm wondering.... Is is possible to upload pictures (profile pic, mems, pictures courses...) through the iPhone app? This doesn't work through Safari. I'm currently using an "old" iPad running iOS 4.3.3 and and even older iPhone running iOS 5.0.1. I can't update my iPad as I'm traveling and need my MacBook for that, which is back home in Austria. I'm seriously running out if space on my iPhone which is why I have not updated it to iOS 5.1.1 which I need to install the Memrise app. I'm happy to keep using Safari but I would love to upload pictures every now and again, which would be my ONLY reason to free up some space and install the app. Now, who can tell me if creating courses and especially uploading pictures works through the app?

Thank you :)

OlĂ­via

Posted by Oliviapalito 7/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • Longer definitions do not fit within brown boxes.

Posted by onelifelog 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Also, the title of the lesson should show on the garden page.

Posted by onelifelog 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • The defintions thing definately needs fixing up. I've noticed a bug where on the 4 word multiple choice answer type the screen keeps resetting so that when you try and drag down on the iPhone screen (answers 3 and 4 typically don't fit) it keeps jumping back up to the top. It means you have to scroll-pause (don't take your finger of the screen) and then quickly double tap. It's highly annoying. I'm running iOS 5.1 and just downloaded the memrise (1.3 i think it is) app on 30/7/2012 from app store.

Posted by memMaster2012 7/31/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello Memrise team, thank you for your great work on the iPod app! I have two questions on it (I use it with an iPad): - are there any typing tests at all? So far I only had 4 or 8 multiple choices questions, typing was only required when we were supposed to learn the pinyin of a word for the first time. Are you worried we cannot type fast enough? So far I'm not complaining, I had so much watering to do and this makes it really fast, but in the future I'll definitely avoid using the app if all the questions are that easy, I don't feel like I'm really memorizing. - I have many different lists of words that I'm learning in parallel, and quite a few words are in several lists at the same time. On the website these words are counted as watered in all the lists if I water them in one, but on the app it looks like I'm asked repeatedly for the same words.

Posted by ansufei 8/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Memrise, i really love the site, the concept, and the results are surprising!!! About the ipad app. I like to learn the new words in set of 15, so usually is 3 session of new words on the website. But ob the mobile the 'go' button usually only allow the first session of 5 words, then the same session is repeated again before i get the next set of 5 words. would be nice to add a small button to actually retrieve the new words without repeating the previous set.

great work anyway!

Posted by scolombara 8/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Memrise, i really love the site, the concept, and the results are surprising!!! About the ipad app. I like to learn the new words in set of 15, so usually is 3 session of new words on the website. But ob the mobile the 'go' button usually only allow the first session of 5 words, then the same session is repeated again before i get the next set of 5 words. would be nice to add a small button to actually retrieve the new words without repeating the previous set.

great work anyway!

great work anyway!

great work anyway!

• Great job, bugs i saw were the repetition of lsts n 0 points or just a few when im done with te list

Posted by uzku.marabu 8/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • There is a very simple way for the developers to make Memrise go Fullscreen on an iPad. Just add the line:

meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes"

to the head of HTML (please also include the angled brackets around that line, which were stripped from this text automatically). This can be done in a few minutes. With this line, if one adds Memrise to the Home-Screen as a webapp and opens it from there, it would open as full screen. This would make it so much easier to see the Pinyin (or plurals for other languages) written on the to right of the word after finishing typing it in landscape mode. I hope they do this soon as it would only take them a few minutes, yet it improves the iPad experience of Memrise quite a bit!

Posted by SamirShaker 11/10/12 (2 years ago)