Thumbs down appears on newly seen words

I just noticed that several of the words I am just seeing for the first time appear as if I have given them a thumbs down. Meaning that the thumbs down icon is already highlighted a darker gray than usual. It's not on all newly seen words, but once I noticed it, I've seen it on 4 or 5 new words today. I don't know if you can see which ones I gave a thumbs up on today, but a couple of the ones I did were simply to remove what I thought was an accidental thumbs down that I hadn't intended to give. Some of my thumbs up were genuine thumbs up, though, so you may not be able to tell which were "buggy thumbs" and which were intentional.

Posted by Jill348 5/3/12, last update 5/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you for this - I just want to be totally sure that I understand what you mean though: one thing I just want to clarify is that the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" should appear next to each mem rather than the word. ie you are rating the mem for the word, not rating the word itself. Sorry that isn't clear, we will try to tweak the design to make it clearer.

But that doesn't change the fact that when you see new words the mems should not be already rated. Could you possibly give me a couple of examples of when this has happened? If you don't remember any, then could you take note if it happens again? That will make it much faster to track down the cause.

Thank you very much for the heads up on this,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • yes of course you're right -- I meant on the mems of new words that I'm learning. It has happened again several times today, so I will definitely make note of the mems next time it happens. Does it help you find them at all if I hit the thumbs up on it? I did that on one of your mems today - but I give a LOT of your mems the thumbs up because they really are terrific! :-D

Posted by Jill348 5/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you very much - it doesn't actually make it that much easier for me to search them if you give them the thumbs up - the most useful would be a link to the word itself.

But please do keep on giving my mems the thumbs up!

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ok, found one: for the word "Now" xian4, the first pronunciation mem showed up with a thumbs down on it. I left it as I found it, but when I went forward through all the rest of the mems, and then backward back to the first one, the thumbs down was gone. If I find another one, I won't even scroll through the rest of the mems.

Posted by Jill348 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • http://www.memrise.com/cave/?iset=mandarin-comprehensive&plant_filter=planting&ltemplatename=plant I doubt if this helps at all, but this was the URL on the page when the thumbs up showed up.

Posted by Jill348 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks very much for this, we are looking into it now, Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you, Ben. It has happened again, only this time it is not on a word that I'm just seeing for the first time. It's on "to hear" wen2 and the last pronunciation mem "The guard put his ear 2 the gate TO HEAR if some - WEN was there." by edreamer. I would not have given this a thumbs down, so edreamer, if it says I gave you a thumbs down, I didn't!

I'm now remembering a few times where I noticed a thumbs down in the past, and at the time, I just assumed I had accidentally bumped the thumbs down in previous passes through some of the vocabulary. iPads can be a bit touchy that way, but now I believe this bug may have been around for awhile. I hope I'm giving you meaningful data that will help you isolate and fix it.

Posted by Jill348 5/8/12 (2 years ago)
  • another one: Real Zhen1 showed up with a thumbs down on the example from Aaron.acosta: Samples Means really or true. ex: The movie was really good. ex: That is the truth.

I popped over here to post this, and when I went back to the mem, the thumbs down was gone.

Posted by Jill348 5/8/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you, this will certainly help us to track it down faster.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/8/12 (2 years ago)
  • another one: To eat - Chi1 Your mem in the etymologies section 吃晚饭 (to eat - late - cooked rice) means "to eat dinner" (and a side request: when you post mems with the Chinese characters, would you please also include the pinyin? That would be even more helpful :)

Posted by Jill348 5/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • a possible clue: it happened again on several, lia3, and I had given thumbs up to the first mem in the mnemonics section. Then when I went to the pronunciation mems, the first one had the thumbs down: like liang3 for pair, but imagine that the person on the left has cut of the ng.

I don't know if there's a correlation between when I give a thumbs up, or it's postion in the list... I'll let you know if that holds true.

Posted by Jill348 5/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • I just added a mem for board ban3, and where it usually adds a mem with a thumbs up, this time it added it with both the thumbs up AND the thumbs down.

Posted by Jill348 5/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • I gave a thumbs up on TO RELAX - Shu1: Pronunciation mem - "If you are familiar with the word for book (shū / 书), it can be helpful to think of the phrase "relax with a good book"."

And then I went back up to the Mnemonics (just checking to see if the glitch would show up there) and when came back to the Pronunciation mem that I had just given the thumbs up, it also had a thumbs down again.

• Song - GE1 had a thumbs down on the first pronunciation mem "Remember that the pronunciation of "song" is the same as the "older brother" it contains." When I clicked on another mem and then came back it had returned to normal, but I accidentally bumped the thumbs down, so I clicked on thumbs up.

I'm going to assume this is enough information and stop reporting it until I hear if you need any further examples.

• I said I wasn't going to add any more, but it just happened on Sunlight (chang1) on both the Etymology (Can also mean "splendor", and "flourishing") AND the Pronunciation (He said SUNLIGHT will CHANG-e 1's source of future energy.) mems.

Posted by Jill348 5/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • We are working on this right now - Could I ask if the thumbs down also appears when you go to the "word detail page" - ie if in the learning session you click on "edit" in the top menu, when you go to the word page and look at the mem there, does it still have the thumbs down?

Thanks very much for all of your feedback!

best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'll check it out and let you know. Thanks!

Posted by Jill348 5/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • It doesn't seem to be happening, did someone figure it out? I will say that when it was happening, it only seemed to last until I forced a refresh, even going to another mem and then returning to the one that had been showing the thumbs down, when I came back to it, it had returned to normal again.

So... if someone made a change, it seems to have helped, but I'll definitely keep you posted if it happens again, I'll try the edit thing and see if it happens there.

Posted by Jill348 5/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • happened again, on PERMIT rong2. I tried the edit function as you suggested and even before I got to the edit page, as soon as I clicked on the drop down menu at the top of the page, the "fake" thumbs down disappeared.

Posted by Jill348 5/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • and there were no unexpected thumbs down on the edit page btw.

• The item I just posted was on the Etymologies section. It also happened on the pronunciation mem: 2 PERMIT them to build a roof over the valley was RONG