for mandarin, detect all pinyin formats

detect all common pinyin formats and then display it instead in the preferred format of the user. e.g. tone numbers, marks, colored with marks, colored with no marks or numbers, etc.

Posted by ThatHorse 4/30/12, last update 4/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • This would indeed be excellent, and it is much requested. I'm afraid though that we probably won't be able to do this in the next few months. The issue is that we have got to weigh it up against other features - such as adding in testing from audio, testing from sample sentences, better tools for mem creation, richer test types helping to build up deeper understanding of words, ways to compete with your friends etc... the situation is that we have to focus our efforts on tools that will bring as much benefit as possible to as many people as possible - and Mandarin is only a small proportion of learners on Memrise. So it is difficult, for the next three or four months at least, for us to justify devoting resources to tools that are totally mandarin specific, and wouldn't have a huge impact on learning efficacy.

Apologies for that, and I hope that isn't too inconvenient. I wonder if there is a chrome add-on or something that could fix this in the shorter term? If anyone can find out that would be very useful!

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • after posting this it did occur to me that this definitely could be done with a browser plugin. will think about this.

Posted by ThatHorse 4/30/12 (2 years ago)