Mandarin Characters on old computer

Greetings:

I do apologize in advance if this question has already been asked, and I merely haven't seen it. I'm considering using Memrise's Mandarin flashcards to possibly start learning Mandarin. However, my computer won't show the characters (letters). I have an old (I've had it for around five years) Dell Latitude D510 running Windows XP Professional.

Is anyone aware of something I can download, anything I can do that's free that will enable my computer to show Mandarin Characters?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Amaury

Posted by paddpetm 4/23/12, last update 4/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • These instructions might hopefully be able to help you. http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs;/AsianStudiesDept/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

Posted by cacoethes 4/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • YOLO

Posted by tarr02 4/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • Cacoethes:

Your instructions led me on the right path. As I tried these instructions, my computer was asking me to insert a Service Pack CD that I didn't even have, since my computer came with it pre-installed, I assume. I managed to find a way around that and the Mandarin characters are now showing. I'm smiling. Thanks a lot. If anyone has any problems with this issue, just let me know and I can at least guide you through my solution.

Posted by paddpetm 4/24/12 (1 year ago)