Offensive memes

If I have selected to use "Moderated" words, there should be a way to advise the moderator that a meme or word contains inappropriate or offensive content. If not, you risk destroying your brand name and product. I have noticed a few memes that were questionable.

Posted by ajstryker 4/13/12, last update 6/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • This is a very good point, and one that we are working on. We are going to introduce ways to rate and tag mems for their different qualities - with "offensive" being one such tag. The thing is that offensive mems can be the most effective, for those that are happy to use them, and so we are reluctant to just remove them. But at the same time people who don't want to be offended should not have to see them. We will get this feature added as soon as possible.

My sincere apologies for the annoyance in the meantime,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • could a person identify it as a potentially offensive mem when they create the mem? Then users could select what level of offensive mems they would be willing to see. (I'm hoping you will create some sort of user setting.)

Posted by jenniferhunter 4/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • Yes, that is a very good idea - if we can get "tagging" for mems, then you could definitely tag a mem when you are creating it. May is scheduled to be out time for focusing on these kinds of features, so hopefully we can get this done soon,

Thanks and best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • hmm, tagging could be an option?! @ajstryker very good of you to point this out, because i'd rather avoid explicit or abusive mem's! i love making mnemonics and they can be absurd, silly, hillarious. But i find wicked, disgusting and explicit mem's an abuse of the gift of imagination! :)!

Posted by Rookus 5/1/12 (1 year ago)
  • oke guys, can someone please do something about this! i guess some 12 year olds have come to spam stuff here!

Posted by Rookus 5/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • removed, thanks!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • So offensive

Posted by simongue 5/23/12 (1 year ago)
  • i agree

Posted by oscarthespanman 5/23/12 (1 year ago)
  • Just adding that I agree that a flag system would be really useful. Okay, things with bad words or related to bodily functions some people might not like to see, but they'll get over it until the kinks in the system are ironed out. But there needs to be something in case of emergencies where hate speech can be immediately removed. I've not seen anything like this yet, but this is the Internet, after all.

Posted by RabbitWho 5/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • thanks. in some spanish mems I am seeing stuff that would offend many people from certain countries, like the 'el fin de semana' one. plz make a flagging system!

Posted by Lefty365 5/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • Maybe Memrise should create a list of taboo subjects - such as - hate speech, derogatory terminology about different ethnic groups, curse words (possibly - I'm iffy on this) that people should not use. I just saw the "el fin de semana" mem and I'm offended.

Posted by jenniferhunter 5/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • Curse words shouldn't be offensive in 2012, everybody poops, as they say, but calling Finnish people lazy drunks is really not nice. But the thing is everybody knows they're not lazy, Finnish people are known for being hard working. It was clearly just to help people remember.. But even so, if you're Finnish and learning Spanish through English and you see that you might feel unwelcome here, which would be awful.

Posted by RabbitWho 5/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • @RabbitWho I'm not sure about that ("Curse words shouldn't be offensive in 2012" - some people are very religious so that they will get offended. I'm speaking from personal experience here. I personally love curse words and other pungent language - but I understand why they may seem offensive to other. If you notice, I said I was iffy on this - I would probably ask that the tagging system (that memrise should create) allow the mem creator to select this option "this mem uses vulgar language" so that people who are genuinely offended by such language do not have to be exposed to it. Also, I really don't want my nephews and nieces to learn these words just yet. Let's preserve their innocence for a little bit longer.

Posted by jenniferhunter 5/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • @jenniferhunter, we definitely need to get a mem tagging system in place so that people can set their own preferences; there is, as you say, no universal as to what is "offensive", so we need to let people set their own parameters. We will do this soon - we will try to introduce it in this round of mem-related work that we are doing over the next six weeks, but if not then, then soon after.

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • @Ben - you will need to set up some official rules - i.e. no hate speech, no racial epithets, no religious epithets. (I mean, can you imagine if someone wrote a mem equating islam to terrorism.) You will also need to set up some system to create "child" controls - I don't know of a single website that doesn't have that sort of set up. I would hate for someone to get in trouble because a kid saw an offensive mem and showed it to their parents (especially teachers who use memrise as an educational aid). For some reason, the anonymity of the internet serves to bring out the more offensive elements.

Posted by jenniferhunter 5/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • I don't think anyone wants to get rid of anything, I think we just want the ability to flag things so that people who are worried about being offended or about their children learning something they don't want them to learn can opt out of certain things.

Posted by RabbitWho 5/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • Another possibility would be to do what youtube do and hide comments with more than 3 thumbs down. That way they allow the community to moderate itself. This works in conjunction with a flagging system though.

Posted by RabbitWho 5/25/12 (1 year ago)
  • On a slightly different topic (not about the mems, but the vocabulary list itself)-- I can figure out how to "ignore" (permanently skip) a word as I'm learning new ones (planting seeds), but is there a way to go through the whole list all at once and delete/ignore words so they never come up? I know how to get to the list of all the words that will be presented, but I don't see a way to delete ones from that list. That way I can have my kids skip past "flirt" and "hangover"... thanks!

Posted by onaswife 6/19/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity