I cannot harvest my Bulgarian Words

I am learning Bulgarian, but do not know how to harvest the words without the appropriate keyboard

Posted by farnhamfancy 4/12/12, last update 4/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Could you possible send me a link to the course that you are learning? there should be an in browser Bulgarian keyboard to help you type the words, but it is possible that that is not showing up on the course that you are doing. I will get it fixed ASAP.

Thanks,

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello Ben Sorry, technically challenged, have not a clue how to send a 'link' even if I knew what one was? Perhaps somebody could initiate a 'Learn Technical Vocabulary Course'!!!!! Sue

Posted by farnhamfancy 4/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • http://www.memrise.com/cave/?iset=basic-bulgarian&plant_filter=dead&ltemplatename=random_old

Have spoken to my technical director who has initiated me into the joy of sending links.......

• Ah, I see - I actually thought that I had added the Bulgarian keyboard already to that topic, but it doesn't seem to be there. Am I right that it is not quite the same as Russian cyrillic? Which letters are different? I will add it for you ASAP.

THanks

Ben

• Alternatively, I could set it so that testing was only from Bulgarian to English, but that might not be so good for active recall of Bulgarian words.

Best wishes

Ben

• I am not sure if it is the same as the Russian alphabet, I don't speak Russian, I know that that Greek cyrillic alphabet is different. I would be happy to have the Russian it would be better than nothing and I could see if it was the same. Sue

• It is possible to use a Latin letter keyboard and phonetically spell the Bulgarian words to harvest them.

e.g car = кола. can be written as kola.

The phonetic forms that the Bulgarian courses seem to accept for Cyrillic letters that don't have an exact English equivalent are: я - ia е - ie и and й - are both just i ю - iu ь - no equivalent so it's missed out.1 х - kh у - u ц - ts х - kh щ - shch ж - zh

a bit of trial and error got me there!

Posted by leggi 4/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello Yes, I have been doing that, but as a beginner to the language although I recognise the word I am not completely au fait with how one pronounces it - it would be lovely if there was the facility as on the French site that the word is spoken, I have found on a couple of words like ciao it does not accept my spelling no matter what i put, and with the more complicated, long words I am really struggling.

Posted by farnhamfancy 4/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I forgot a phonetic: г - gh

I will post the phonetics in the BG forum also.

As for ciao - chao works for me.

Where is the option on the courses to use a different keyboard? I think I'm ready to try the Cyrillic spellings now.

I have found using the phonetic spelling has helped me get the sounds right, especially words beginning with н and в (my brain naturally thinks H and B not the correct N and V. врата is now the correct 'vrata'!

It would be fantastic if there was audio too. I've spent enough time listening to Bulgarian T.V. and radio to get a feel for the language and patterns, but the stress of a word is all important and impossible learn without actually hearing the word.

Happy learning!

Posted by leggi 4/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have added the Bulgarian alphabet into the in browser keyboard - it is just in alphabetical order, as it is difficult to arrange it any other way. Can you let me know if that works ok for you?

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • The new Cyrillic browser keyboard is great, it works for me in alphabetical order. A space bar button would be a nice addition so that I can do phrases with just clicking the cursor.

thanks

Posted by leggi 4/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • great - that should have added in a space button now as well. Does that work?

Thanks

Ben

• perfect! and super fast - I was thinking I just hadn't seen the space bar.

Posted by leggi 4/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you very much for sorting this - it certainly adds another dimension to have the keyboard. I am really enjoying the site - its great trying to get to the top of the leader-board - making learning competitive, what a great idea.

Posted by farnhamfancy 4/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • very glad to hear it! Please let me know if there is anything else that we can do to make it even better for you.

best wishes

Ben

• hi, i just came on to do my lesson and oh joy i found you had added a cyrillic browser keyboard! so much better now, it was taking too long for me to find the right letters on my keyboard. thanks so much, this is a brilliant site, love it!

Posted by borovinka 4/18/12 (2 years ago)