API Documentation

Hey guys,

I guess it is a bit early for a full API documentation, but is there some informal list or something where I can see every API endpoint that is available?

What I would i'm looking for more specifically is: * A method for finding all the words in a wordlist * A method for adding words to a wordlist

What I would like to do with this: a chrome extension that will let you look up words, and add them to a memrise list of the users choice if she doesn't already have it in her list.

Thanks for a great service!

Posted by arvidj 4/10/12, last update Aug 25 (4 weeks ago)
  • Okay, just found this:

http://www.memrise.com/api/1.0/?format=json

Which gives a list of each endpoint. However, I can't seem to find what I need.

Posted by arvidj 4/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ooooh, an API? Promising! I too would like to see some doco. Are there any example implementations around? What are the T&C;'s of using the API?

Posted by Jem 4/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes please, I'd also like to play around with an API! :)

Posted by daaain 4/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hey guys,

We've been slowly working on the API in the background but it's still very early days. @arvidj found the main machine-readable front end. You can also see the fledgling documentation here:

http://www.memrise.com/api/1.0/faq/

A few caveats up front:

• It's read-only at the moment.

• We haven't implemented any throttling yet, so please don't hammer our servers, otherwise we'll have to disable it until it's ready for primetime.

• I don't think we've finalized the T&C;'s yet, so if you plan to publish anything using the API, we should probably have a quick chat first. I'm greg@.

I'm hugely motivated to make the API awesome, but it hasn't been a high priority. If you have any ideas for things you'd love to build, or particular things you'd like to do with the API if it was more developed, let me know and we'll try and make it happen :)

I can't wait to see what we come up with together,

g

Posted by greg 4/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Btw, to answer the original questions:

To find all the words in a wordset:

http://www.memrise.com/api/1.0/itemiset/?format=json&iset;__slug=mandarin-survival

Adding words by API is a bit trickier. We've been working very hard with our new editing and content creation designs to minimize the number of duplicates that get added to each language's central dictionary. If we allow you to add words programmatically without any kind of human review in the loop, we're opening that problem right back up... This is worth discussing, since I'm sure we can come up with a good solution if we think it through.

Posted by greg 4/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi @greg, thanks for your answer!

The adding of words wouldn't have to be 100% automatical, but it would be cool if I could do something like this:

• collect a list of words i might want to add to a list
    • submit the list to memlist
    • get back an URL or something where the user do the interactive steps needed to add the words without duplicates.

Another use case I had in mind: each time I look up a word, I usually want to remember what I find out. It would be nice to be able to automatically add it to my personal list of words.

Posted by arvidj 4/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Just have a staging area that words (via automated addition) get added to. this gets reviewed like the regular user submitted stuff. give dev's access to "their" staging session so they can still index words they have added, perhaps with a status property that reveals .IsCommitted = false or something.

Posted by memMaster2012 7/31/12 (2 years ago)
  • Is there any way to sync the gardens via the API? Looking it over, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to use the API in, say, an android app, to access all the lessons and content, but how would this app login a user, sync the gardens, and "water" them via the app?

Posted by eyeonus 9/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello. Will we ever see an API of any kind again?

Posted by Jem Aug 25 (4 weeks ago)