"My first language is not English! What can I do?"

I read in FAQ this question. I'm a french speaker learning chinese in english ; Can I create mems in french for mandarin in the same time I create some in english and write them after those in english ?

Posted by pinto 4/9/12, last update 8/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • This is a tricky question. Just to be certain: you want to keep learning int he main Mandarin topic, rather than to create a Mandarin - French topic. But you would sometimes like to add mems in French rather than English. I think that we should allow this, but at the moment you may find that people vote down mems in languages that they don't understand. We should add in a "tag" feature whereby you could tag your mem as being in a certain language, and then you could also select the tags that you wanted to view. This would also help with potentially offensive mems.

So yes, go ahead for now, and we will try to get a better solution to help you with this soon.

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • I want to keep learning mandarin in english cause all the memrise students learn in english, I like to feel that I belong to a group and that I don't study alone ; another point for me, it's a way to learn english too! This is one of the Memrise appeals. But if it's possible, yes I would like to create a french-mandarin topic but I thought that I needed to know before a little mandarin ! do you think it's possible for me and useful for the others that I create this topic. So I will have to take the memrise mandarin -english vocabulary you teach us and translate it into french. But it seemed to me difficult.(I 'm going to experiment the creation of the topic. ) Otherwise,it would be pretty to have a tag for languages inside the box of mems. In this moment i do mems in english and after, in brackets I write "for frenchies" and I give the translation in french or sometimes another kind of mem in french. Finally, I noticed that mother tongue is particularly useful for the pronunciation, more than for the meaning : the phonetic analogy comes naturally with french words. Thank you for your answer and your beautiful work

Posted by pinto 4/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • You can find the Mandarin - French topic here http://www.memrise.com/topic/mandarin-french/wordlists/, shall I make you a curator of that topic?

We will work on getting tags for the mems later on, but in the meantime I would push ahead with writing mems in French if you find those more useful.

And please let me know if any other ideas occur to you or if there is anything else I can do,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, I can help and promote this topic. I'm going to see it and think about mems in french. thanks

Posted by pinto 4/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • I would like to see Mandarin mems in French. That would help me revive my very rusty French knowledge.

Posted by dmheikin 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • french mems would actually be cool - a sort of chain learning process. mem tagging is definitely the way to go.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • mem tagging! I need a "like" button next to Jenniferhunter's comment!

Posted by dmheikin 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • I have just sketched an alternative solution under the headline "Create a trilingual course?". Feel invited to have a look at it.

Posted by wangxingzhi 8/6/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity