Has anyone become officially fluent in French as a result of Memrise?

Has anyone who is learning French become bilingual as a result of Memrise yet? When did you start?

Posted by patmck2 4/8/12, last update 8/24/12 (1 year ago)
  • Since the website only launched just over a year ago, I doubt it. Especially since it only teaches vocabulary, and not grammar. Memrise isn't the be all and end all of language learning, just a nifty way to learn vocab more efficiently and more enjoyably.

Posted by callum828 4/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have to agree - it is unlikely that we have managed that feat, at least in teaching someone from scratch; Memrise is a powerful tool, but it is not a full language learning solution. We are working to make what is traditionally the most time-consuming and tedious part of learning a language - getting the vocabulary into your brain - much faster and more fun. So I think that there are definitely already some people who have used Memrise to help them to expand their vocabulary much faster than would otherwise have been possible, and so reach a level of fluency in the language that they are learning. I am actually just starting to do some Memriser-interviews with such people, and will be posting some articles to the blog soon - please do get in touch (ben@memrise.com) if you are such a person and would like to share your experience!

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • Fluency may be reaching a bit far, but as far as it really helping it does! I had little to no knowledge of french and after using this site, depending on the text I may be able to read it.

Of course I supplement my learning with other sites, but Memrise has been an invaluable tool especially for my literary progression.

Posted by Sethard 4/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • We need many, many hours over a long period hearing and talking to native speakers to get anywhere near fluency.But sure, knowing more words is part of the process.

Posted by tonyyyy 5/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • Yeah, I agree, maybe Memrise Chat where we can practice with french speaking users. Reading, writing, listening and speaking.

Posted by patmck2 5/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'm french speaker i someone need some talk or write... you can send me a email : lievin.kerremans@gmail.com

Posted by monax21 5/29/12 (1 year ago)
  • I am using memrise to learn vocabulary. I bought a studying book a couple of months ago to learn the grammar. Using them both together is working for me :)

Posted by jacobras 7/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • I had French lessons quite a while ago, where I was taught the grammar but not much vocab. I've been using Memrise for just over 24 hours, and it's incredible how much is coming back just from learning new vocab. So with the memory of the grammar plus an ever-expanding list of new terms to use, I think I might get somewhere near fluency in the future :)

Posted by KatyE9 7/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • In order to improve the listening aspect I aim to listen to some French radio every day even the news, which is spoken clearly) and watch more French films. From the talking point of view - I do have a French friend - Im a bit lazy though and as her English is fluent we mainly speak English. I need to motivate myself speak more French with her

Posted by tonyyyy 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • @benwhately I've heard that Memrise might teach grammar in the distant future, is this still true? I like Memrise very much and it would be cool if it also helps with other things in languages. But I think vocabulary is important too. The words and the example sentences on Memrise help me use and understand the language very much. I currently use multiple sites and it would be great if I could do learning on less sites. Thanks for making Memrise. :-)

Posted by eprillios 7/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • I think it would be great for us to all chat more together and practice speaking French. If anyone is interested, leave me a message on my wall. :)

Posted by Shavonne_5 7/28/12 (1 year ago)
  • Oh dear, becoming fluent in a second language takes years for most people. English is my second language and I still make a lot of mistakes. I have been studyning English for five years now. However, I find Memrise method quite good because when you start learning a second language with grammar it can turn into a nightmare.

Posted by AdelaidaEstero 7/30/12 (1 year ago)
  • Fluent with Memrise only? No. But, I can share that I spent two weeks in Nice this past summer, and because of Memrise vocabulary enhancing, I got a lot more out of the classes I took. Personally, I can speak better than I can understand when spoken to. For me, not just grammar, but phrases need to be incorporated. Hearing and memorizing basic phrases would really help me.

Posted by carola 7/30/12 (1 year ago)
  • carola - yes somehow we need an equivalent of Memrise to help with phrases ; hearing and repeating them. I tried making a course in portuguese here with recorded phrases ; it really gets tricky - all that typing, with exact precision. Multiple choice testing would be friendlier, though a bit too easy.We would at least get exposed to the combinations of words

Posted by tonyyyy 7/31/12 (1 year ago)
  • You will never become fluent with Memrise alone, you must really live in a French speaking country and speak to people in the target language all the time. I've spent over a year living, studying and working in France, I currently teach French in England but I still don't consider myself fluent. Memrise is brilliant at helping to keep the vocab fresh in your mind so that when you need a word it pops up quickly and it's also great for expanding your range of vocab. It's important to also gain a strong knowledge of the grammar as verbs need to be conjugated for almost every sentence you say.
    I have been impressed with the range of French slang you can learn on this site - the French use so much slang, it's almost impossible to understand them without this knowledge.

Posted by kellyjr 8/24/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity