How do you utilize the 'memes'?

If you are learning a course and none of the memes appear particularly vivid to you, do you make your own and add it? In addition, do you use the memes at all?

Posted by ScottSussex 4/3/12, last update 4/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • I use the mems sometimes. Some are quite cool. I learned 利口 this way, for example. However, right now I'm learning from a topic no one posted mems on yet, so I have to add all these myself. I do so when repeatedly failing a word, or when I can already forsee that a certain word will be problematic. After 3000 learned, you'll get to know one when you see it :) In that case, I try to make something embarrassing, shocking or funny - or funny-because-it-aint-funny. __

Posted by ikenaiAndi 4/3/12 (2 years ago)
  • I always use mems, but I've seen a few comments from people who don't use them at all.

It would be really interesting if memrise could track the learning and retention rates of the different groups, (mem-users, non mem-users, mem-users who don't write their own) and tell us what impact the different strategies have. It might be difficult though to distinguish between the last two groups.

Posted by Azimuth 4/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • @ikenaiAndi, ah, I see that you have, by chance, just answered the question on mem-use that I asked you on another post! We need to get some more German-speaking Japanese learners onto that topic to help you!

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • If only I was more creative.. that'd make a world of a difference. Making mems is also a matter of training, you can improve with that, but only so far.

Posted by ikenaiAndi 4/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • I use some of the mems. As I am mostly using my second language as a base for other languages I get a word I don't understand in either from time to time, even though it is quite rare. I like the mems with pictures or exemples in such case so I don't have to use a dictionary.

Other than that, I don't use them much. But perhaps it is given by a lot of words being just a review in my main languages, I am curious what will change when I really start with a trully foreign and non-european one.

Posted by Zirien 4/6/12 (2 years ago)