Wrong definition

A cochinillo (also lechon) is a suckling pig or a piglet, not pork. Pork in Spanish is either cerdo or chancho. And finally cochino would be a pig. Please correct the entry. Thank you!

Posted by sfrenchie 3/20/12, last update 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • To any of the Spanish Curators, please correct the entry and audio file el cerdo means pig la chuleta de cerdo means pork chop

Thanks!

Posted by ria56 6/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • Audio file should be removed.

Posted by sfrenchie 6/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thank you for pointing this out - since all the mems are for "el cochinillo", and so is the audio, should we not have that as the Spanish word, and translate it as "suckling pig"?

THanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • However, IMO usefulness of Pig=10, of suckling pig=1

Posted by sfrenchie 6/6/12 (1 year ago)
  • Sure - I'm not suggesting that "pig" shouldn't be in the wiki, just that maybe it shouldn't be this item, since it seems that quite a lot of effort has already gone into making this item "suckling pig". Does that seem sensible? Should we create a new item for "pig" if one doesn't exist already?

Best wishes

Ben

• I don't know. My concern is that people learning that list would now end up with a pretty useless word that would replace the "pig" entry they were counting on. We definitely need an entry for "pig" though, possibly add it to this list too.

• Yes, I do see that - but this word is in a bunch of lists, including "in the restaurant", where it is very possible that you will come across a suckling pig. So perhaps "el cerdo" should be added to the other lists, like "introductory Spanish", and "bodmer's animals", but this item should stay as the suckling pig. Does that seem reasonable? If so I can get that fixed up right away,

Thanks

Ben

• Sure, go ahead

• OK, it turned out that a different "el cerdo" was already in a lot of lists, so I have changed the primary meaning of this one, and then left that other version of "pig" in the other lists. Hope that makes sense to everyone!

Best wishes

Ben

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity