frustrating words because of definitions

I'm extremely thankful for those who have put word lists together which I can learn from. Working through them, I've come across a few words that always trip me up because I never know from the English prompt what word is really being asked: ĝusta/justa/prava, bati/frapi/trafi, and daŭri/daŭrigi. Would it be possible for the owners of the lists or the curators to specify a more distinct definition for them?

For ĝusta in the First Lernu.net Exam list, the current definition is "right, correct". I recommend "correct, exact, proper, right".

For justa in the Most Frequently Used Words list, the current definition is "just, correct". I recommend "fair, just, righteous".

For prava, also in the Most Frequently Used Words list, the current definition is "right, correct". (The same as ĝusta in the other list!) I recommend "right, true".

For bati/frapi/trafi, "to hit" all appears first in their definitions. It would be helpful if the more distinct example appears first. So, in the Most Frequently Used Words list, bati would be "to beat, to hit" instead of "to hit, to beat"; frapi would be "to strike, to hit" instead of "to hit, to strike" (or better yet, "to knock, to strike, to hit"); trafi would be "to hit (a goal, etc), run across" instead of "to hit (a goal, etc), to strike".

In the Esperanto Verbs list both frapi AND bati have the same definition given, "to hit"!

Finally, it may just be me having trouble with daŭri/daŭrigi. In each case I know the root is daŭr, and I understand the difference the suffix -ig- makes, but I think my mind zeros-in on "continue" that appears in the definitions ignoring the other hints. So take the remaining suggestion with a grain of salt... For daŭri I recommend "to continue, to endure" in both the Gerda Malaperis and Most Frequently Used Words lists.

Posted by memrise_ 3/4/12, last update 4/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'll get on that After me and benwhately from memrise come up with a "Esperanto Moderated Topic FAQ" which means coming up with  "Esperanto Conventions / FAQ"   for uploading word lists.    There are (duplicate meaning) words that are messing with me too. 

Posted by Talisman 3/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • numero, nombroĉe, apudtranĉi, tondiare all words i am confusing with each other,  don't know if it's because of the deffinitions though

Posted by Talisman 3/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • ĉar - prokelka - iomtamen - kvankamsuper - suprevoli - deziriprecipa - ĉefagusto - gustumiresti - daŭriŝtupo - stepo - paŝi

Posted by Talisman 3/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks! That'd be awesome. Yeah, kelka/iom and krom/krome across different lists have tripped me up too.

Posted by tboronczyk 3/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • brili- lumi

http://en.lernu.net/komunikado/forumo/temo.php?t=11511&p;=1

Posted by Talisman 3/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • el - de

Posted by Talisman 3/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • It is nice (sad) to see, that everyone else is struggling with the same problems: multa - kelka - plura ĉio - ĉiom - tuta post - antauxe plu - pli tiu - tio - tio ĉi - tiu ĉi Countries have three possible forms: - Ruslando - Svislando - Rusio - Svisio - Rusujo - Svisujo Now translate: Russia :)

Posted by Dekker67 3/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, apologies for the delay in getting these FAQs done, I will try to get them done by the end of today, at least a first draft. Then we can start getting this all fixed.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   3/28/12 (2 years ago)
  • Should we make persono/homo alternatives for each other, or are there subtleties to them that I haven't grasped? There doesn't seem to be any point in me continually getting them confused because of similar definitions.

Posted by spacegandalf 4/11/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity