Major Hangul Input bug

I've discovered some very annoying bugs relating to the Hangul input system. Anyone else having these problems?

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 3/17/12, last update 9/4/12 (1 year ago)
  • The bug happens when an incorrect answer has been submitted in the typed-input test, when watering or harvesting. Only when Memrise prompts you to practice spelling the word again, does the bug actually occur.

Before explaining the details, I should say that this doesn't happen in Memrise German. It is a bug in the Hangul validation code, as far as I know. Here's what happens:

1. As soon as you type the first character (and indeed until the word is spelt correctly), the validation goes into an error state. It shows the red background and a big 'X', in other words. This should not happen.

2. The first character you type does not concatenate with the next character, no matter what you type. So every time you have to type something, then delete it, and begin again. Once you begin again, the characters concatenate fine.

3. Once you have spelt the word correctly, the validation code recognises it with a green background and a big tick. However, progressing to water the next word requires a manual click with the mouse. The enter-key shortcut is disabled.

4. Onto the next word in the list now. When you tryspell the next word, typed input simply does not appear. You can try clicking inside the box, but still text will not appear when you type. The only way I have found to get around this problem is to click on the web-address URL box at the top of my browser. But this creates a fifth problem.

5. At the exact moment that you click in the URL box, the Memrise text-input area spits out the last concatenated syllable that you typed in the previous word. So now you can type again, but only after you have deleted the syllable that the code spat out.

As you can imagine, this is a real pain. I don't think it's a browser issue, as I've had it in Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Anyone having the same problem?

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 3/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Having the same issue!

Posted by Mr.Fitz 3/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Mr.Fitz 안녕! Thanks for corroborating the bug. Can you also confirm the browser you're using? So we can narrow down the issue a bit for the Memrise devs?

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 3/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Anyone else, or is it just me and Mr.Fitz?

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 3/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Nobody else has these problems..?

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 3/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yeah, I have that problem.

-Red box until the word is finished. -Type not showing up.

(I get around the second bug by 'minus'ing out the window and then bringing it up again. I usually have to delete some random letters but I always thought they were the letters I had typed while my typing was "invisible".)

I usually use Chrome.

Posted by cbcowell 3/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • I also find adding "helpful hints" a bit annoying.

My comments don't appear how I originally typed them.

My extra spaces are deleted. Each time I pressed 'ENTER' to separate information is also deleted.

This results in everything being bunched together and annoying to read.

(I doubt this just happens with Korean but I only study Korean.)

Posted by cbcowell 3/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • I also have this problem (currently only on Korean though). I've tried it in Chrome and Firefox on both Ubuntu and Mac, with identical results. The red box is a fairly cosmetic problem, but not being able to enter text is quite an issue.

Cycling input methods is a reasonably expedient workaround on Ubuntu; on Mac the only solution seems to be MyHoneyfoot's trick mentioned above.

Posted by Jcon 4/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Apologies for this, I am not sure how I have missed this thread for so long. I will get the team onto this ASAP. It is an excellent bug report, so it should be possible to get it sorted soon,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • Apologies for this, I am not sure how I have missed this thread for so long. I will get the team onto this ASAP. It is an excellent bug report, so it should be possible to get it sorted soon,

Best wishes

Ben

• Thanks Ben. Looking forward to an update on this bug. If I had to guess, I'd say you'll see a lower churn rate in users who sign up for the Korean content. Just through fixing this one bug. It makes the UX suck a bit for Korean learners.

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 4/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think that you are certainly right. We will get it fixed, and my sincere apologies for how long it has taken,

Best wishes

Ben

• Any updates on this? I watered my plants today and the bug lost me some points. Memrise is awesome, and I know you will get this fixed (how hard can it be!?). But whilst it's there, it's kind of holding me back from recommending the Korean content to my friends.

Thanks.

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 4/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry, no updates yet, we are still finishing off work on the wiki. Once that is done there should be a gap in the schedule into which we can fit this. It is right at the top of the list, and I will keep putting pressure on to get it done. As always, apologies for the annoyance in the meantime,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • Can we have an update on this please? Did you modify the validation code? The bug is still there, but behaviour is different. Are you currently testing it?

If you need testers, please us me know.

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 5/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • We are working on stuff that affects it, but haven't yet started on the work focused specifically on it. That should be next week. I will keep you informed of how we get on and if we need testing. Again, I am really sorry about how long this has taken, and thank you for your patience.

best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   5/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, I have the same exact problem, too. I thought it might just be my computer (I use the Chrome browser on a Chromebook/Chrome OS) but the first comment by MrHoneyFoot details every single problem I've had with it. I use the Korean Input Method/Romaja in the Language setting on my computer (I didn't download anything or use an input-keyboard on Memrise, if they have one). I use memrise almost every day so I know it is still doing it. Has there been any updates or progress on this issue?

Posted by wrenlastrange 7/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am so sorry that this has been put of yet again. I see my comment above and cringe. I am going to chase up on this one again now.

I'm really, really sorry, best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am also dealing with this problem. Chrome on Win7. I get around it by clicking the "Edit Item" dropdown at the top of the page. It pops up a new tab. Switch back to your old tab and input works fine.

Super annoying though.

Posted by Eunucorn 8/7/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi Mr Honeyfoot & everyone else - I have just tried a fix which seems to work for Hangul on Mac. Please tell me if you are still having problems.

Sorry this has taken so long, hope you can enjoy learning Korean more on Memrise now on!

Posted by Adam 8/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • Excellent, works perfectly for me now! 감사합니다!

I still get the error colouration when I'm part way through completing a character (e.g. to type '감', the character would go through the stages 'ㄱ' red, '가' still red, then '감' green), but this is really quite a minor annoyance.

Posted by Jcon 8/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi. I get the "MrHoneyfoot" original Korean input, no typing showing problem. Today. Chrome on Windows XP

Posted by colin.browne 8/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Just tried the minimize then maximize window workaround. It works but ... I notice no-one has mentioned using Explorer or other so I will try to get the same result in Explorer and let you know.

• I couldn't get the same problem in Explorer (other problems though) but the site is so slow in Explorer that I couldn't be bothered doing extensive testing.

• Mr adamchainz. This problem (or a close relative) is now showing up when adding a new mem. Sometimes I have to minimize than maximize the window to be able to type Hangul into a new mem. And I still have the problem that MrHoneyfoot described.

Posted by colin.browne 8/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • When this problem happens so frequently it reduces memrise to a mere flashcard program.

Posted by colin.browne 8/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • @Jcon Yes this an unfortunate side effect of IME input. The OS sends the character to us before you've finished typing - but we would still like the input to live update for every language.@Colin.Browne94 Sorry about the Mem editor. I will look into it soon.

Posted by Adam 8/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • Checking it again. Still using Windows XP and Chrome. The problem doesn't occur straight away. I can work/play for maybe 20 minutes then it begins to show nothing while typing Korean. As a side question, how can the fact that the OS sends the character before we finish typing be overcome by minimizing then resetting the Google screen?

Posted by colin.browne 8/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Writing the above comment shows that taking the focus away from the input screen (for instance by going to this forum tab) has the same effect as minimizing then resetting.

Posted by colin.browne 8/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Maybe I haven't been clear enough. The original post by MrHoneyfoot has 5 parts. Part 4 and 5 are the problems that I have been mentioning in the above two posts. So the fix adamchainz put in which works with Mac still doesn't work Chrome on XP. There is also a new error. On the review of typing page (eg. http://www.memrise.com/cave/?iset=2000-essential-korean-words-for-beginners&plant;_filter=harvest<emplatename;=all_old_typing) if this needs to be defocussed and refocussed (eg tab away and tab back) there is the red screen with a command to retype the word plus some characters from previous typing. If I type into this area without first deleting all the text in it, then delete the superfluous text later then the screen just won't work.

Posted by colin.browne 8/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • The new error (about the review typing page) can be overcome by deleting everything from the box the retyping the correct words.

• To repeat what the unsolved problem is:

"4. Onto the next word in the list now. When you tryspell the next word, typed input simply does not appear. You can try clicking inside the box, but still text will not appear when you type. The only way I have found to get around this problem is to click on the web-address URL box at the top of my browser. But this creates a fifth problem.

"5. At the exact moment that you click in the URL box, the Memrise text-input area spits out the last concatenated syllable that you typed in the previous word. So now you can type again, but only after you have deleted the syllable that the code spat out."

The variations I have found are with the different ways to get the typing to appear in 4. (minimize window then restore it, or click on another tab then back on the one you want). All of these steps seem to do something with changing the focus away from the learning page then back.

And yes, the last syllable from the previous word is then presented and has to be deleted. (MrHoneyfoot's problem 5.)

This problem now is interfering with all 3 of Memrise's unique advantages. 1. It stops any relevance of the science of spaced repetition, because the correct answers aren't being permitted to be entered, so the program is recording false errors. In fact it is working against my memory because I am associating so many mistakes from the site with the words instead of being able to vividly imagine mnemonics etc. 2. It is definitely not fun. In fact it reduces the fun. It is as much fun as a child being denied entry to an interesting toy store but being allowed to look in the window to see what they are missing out on. 3. It has and will reduce the community of people who want to use these techniques.

Looking at the site, there doesn't seem to be much which can be patented so any delay in fixing these problems only allows time for competitors to develop their alternative sites.

• I think that I have narrowed the cause. Try this. 1. Go to a Korean meaning typing test page. (English to Korean) 2. Type in the incorrect Hanja for the meaning. (it has to be very incorrect, not a little incorrect) 3. Wait for the program to time out and reject your answer. 4. Go to the next word. 5. Now you should have problems inputting Hanja. 6. Change tab focus, then back to the original page. 7. The last incorrect character from the previous meaning should be showing.

Please let me know how you are progressing with this.

Posted by colin.browne 8/20/12 (1 year ago)
  • I am really sorry to have been so slow in posting a response to this - I have not been ignoring it, but we are focusing our efforts on getting all of these things ironed out in the v1.0 site, which is slowing the bug fixing in the beta site down. I am really sorry for the annoyance and for not replying to you sooner, and thank you very much indeed for this excellent report.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   9/4/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity