To "to" or not to "to"?

When I have to enter the English translation, some verbs expect a "to" in front, others don't allow it. That's very annoying.

I see three ways to fix that: Add a synonym without "to" for all of them. I'd do that myself, but I see no way to add a translation. Change the code of memrise itself, so the "to"s become optional for all of them. * Introduce some syntax denoting optional parts, and use that syntax on all verbs. Something like "to paint". Also requires some changes to memrise itself, but is more general, and can be used in other contexts too. So this would be my preferred solution.

Posted by memrise_ 2/21/12, last update 2/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think they are working on making the system more flexible, so hopefully this won't continue to be a problem for long. :) I have been editing them so that the main definition doesn't have the "to" (unless it's specifically a verb. 画く always needs a "to", whereas just the kanji 画 doesn't) and then putting the "to paint" version as an alternative. As long as the alternative is in there, then it doesn't matter which way you enter it. It makes the most sense to leave off the "to" on words which are not the actual verbs, just to help you differentiate between "this kanji sometimes has the meaning of to paint" versus "this IS the way to say the verb to paint." As far as I have seen, this is how J-E dictionaries do it.

Posted by cacoethes 2/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you for getting back to me :)

Posted by judepeel 2/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you for getting back to me :)

Posted by judepeel 2/29/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity