Words with two or more meanings .

Some questions are ambiguous , and it is not easy to determine which answer of the two is required , I invariably get it wrong yet when I check the verb book or dictionary I find that I used the correct word , perhaps if it is designated "verb " or " adjective " it would be more clear.the words I have most trouble with are ,Maquillarse ,Jubilar, coquetear.

Posted by memrise_ 2/12/12, last update 3/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have noticed some word lists have parts of speech and I agree with Ray that this is very helpful with ambiguous words.

Posted by sanlee 2/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have noticed some word lists have parts of speech and I agree with Ray that this is very helpful with ambiguous words.

Posted by sanlee 2/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • it is the plan to have them for all words, it is just that somebody needs to go through the database and add them everywhere ;)

Posted by niklassa 2/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • it is the plan to have them for all words, it is just that somebody needs to go through the database and add them everywhere ;)

Posted by niklassa 2/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • yes, if you notice any words that do not have the part of speech added, please do leave a comment on the word and it will be added in ASAP. You can leave a comment by weither clicking "edit" when you see a word in a learning session, or by clicking on the word in the garden or course view.Thanks!Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • yes, if you notice any words that do not have the part of speech added, please do leave a comment on the word and it will be added in ASAP. You can leave a comment by weither clicking "edit" when you see a word in a learning session, or by clicking on the word in the garden or course view.Thanks!Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ambiguous for the least, yes. In 2 different sets I got Pregunta & Cuestion translated directly to Question though they are not used in the same way. I got Olive translated to Aceituna & Olive, if I'm not mistaking 1 usually is the tree but which one? Etc., still many cases.

Posted by sfrenchie 3/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • I must be missing something. How would it help to have a sound file associated with 2 different words with the same meaning? We still wouldn't know which one is expected.I would think that having them in alternatives would be the solution, no?

Posted by sfrenchie 3/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • by "part of speech" I mean taht it should be labeled "verb" or "adjective", rather than that it should have an audio file. This labelling can help to eliminate ambiguity. Does that make sense?ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   3/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • LOL dumb me. Yes it does make sense Ben, yet it's not going to help me for Spanish. Pregunta & Cuestion both are feminine singular nouns and so are  Aceituna & Oliva yet they don't have the same meaning in Spanish. I work on 4 or 5 different sets thus I have no idea which word is expected in which set.

• Yes, you are right - for these items it would be best to put a slightly longer definition (but no more than a word or two) if hat is possible, or a short explanation in parentheses - anything that is written in parentheses is not required as part of the answer. I don't know about the examples that you mention, can you think of good disambiguating clues? Thanks!Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   3/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Parentheses are a good idea, that's what I did in the set I uploaded for myself.Yes, (tree) for the olive tree and (in Cuestion) for Cuestion or (asking a ...) for Pregunta.

• One some flashcard lists with ambiguous words you could put the first letter of the word in parenthesis next to the  words like     bedroom (d) = el dormitorio, bedroom (r) = la recámara, bedroom (c) = el cuarto, bedroom (h) = la habitación. I do this with my flashcards on another site and it seems to help with words with the same meaning in the same set.

Posted by sanlee 3/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry but I don't agree with the initial in parentheses. The next thing you know the forum will be inundated with, "Why is it saying it's a noun and the word is an adjective?" (case of (n) initial.

Posted by sfrenchie 3/15/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity