Mark a wrong answer as correct

There are certain characters which i know but constantly get wrong because i can't remember how the English translation is worded or choose "man" instead of "man (squished to the side)" in the multiple choice quizzes. Maybe there could be a way to mark the last question as right even if we got it wrong, just not awarding points for it?

Posted by memrise_ 2/7/12, last update 4/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • I would like this too...another example: 上网 "to surf the internet"--sounds like someone from 1996 talking. Maybe it just needs to be more tolerant of alternative answers. In this example, the Chinese translates closely to "go on the net", so that's closer to what I'm likely to regurgitate.

Posted by carl_a 4/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • Curators and mods can add accepted alternative meanings to the word. You could start a discussion on the word page, making your suggestions, and at some point a mod or curator can come and perform the changes. At the moment I believe only mods get notified of new comments on words, but hopefully curators will also be soon?

Posted by extantpanda 4/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • Okay, I'll start doing this when I think an improvement is possible. Is there a way to view the acceptable alternatives?

• On the word page, look down the right hand side, you'll find the list there. (by word page I mean, it's page on the website. When you're learning/watering you see a slightly more condensed version which doesn't show you the full details. You can get to the full page by choosing the "edit" option from the menu at the top. Alternatively, click on the corresponding flower after your watering session.)

Posted by extantpanda 4/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • http://www.memrise.com/item/15813/to-be-on-the-internet/

Okay, so there seem to be a bunch of alternatives... I vividly remember getting it wrong though. The answer I recall using is on the list. So, either this is user error--there was a typo or something that I missed--or ? I'm subscribed to more than one word list. Is a given character definitely canonical? I guess what I'm asking is: can a given Unicode value or set of values (phrase) have more than one Memrise entry?

• There are still some duplicates in the database, but 上网 doesn't have duplicates in the main Mandarin topic - is that the one that you are learning? - ie are all of the wordlists that you are learning within the Mandarin topic, or are some of them in, for example, the "writing chinese" topic, or the "traditional mandarin" topic? Those topics are not so heavily-curated and it is possible that there are more duplicates and less acceptable alternative there.

Also, when did you get it wrong? perhaps the alternative has been added since you made the error? I added a bunch of alternatives to that a week or two ago.

The button for "that answer was correct" is one that we are planning to add in, but it is actually quite complex to do it in a slick way. We are working on it though and should have a solution soon.

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • "I added a bunch of alternatives to that a week or two ago." Perhaps that's it...is there a way to dump out all my tests so that I can grep through them?

Posted by carl_a 4/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • Another thing: Integrated Chinese Level 1 Part 1 Vocabulary is the word list I care about. However, its not listed on the right sidebar when I view: http://www.memrise.com/item/15813/to-be-on-the-internet/ ?

Posted by carl_a 4/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • We could search through the logs for all your learning events, but it would be pretty time consuming, and those logs are only accesible to staff at the moment, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give you a file to go through. So I think that if the error was a week or two ago then we can probably assume that that was the issue and that it has now been resolved. Does that sound ok?

Interesting that it doesn't list your wordlist as containing that item - which it does - I will check in to how those are listed. They don't seem to be an exhaustive list. Perhaps that should be made clearer.

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/17/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity