Kanji -> Kana horribly broken.

So I get prompted to write the kana for 金. I've never quite understood what exactly it's asking for, but I'm guessing the on reading so I write: キン. Get a prompt saying "Close, but we're looking for the kana." So I figure, maybe it's the kun reading? I write かね. Again I get "Close, but we're looking for the kana." So I figure that maybe it should be きん. It's not.

What's up with that? This is not the only kanji with this issue, I might add -- a lot of them suffer from this.

Posted by memrise_ 2/5/12, last update 3/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yeah, I made a list of some of the trouble one.For example Time, Four, East, Ten, Gold, Long, Country, Now always give me Error or "Close but..."Just send the feedback and wait, and hope for the next time you see these words to have the multiple option.Also, the daily japanese sucks.Nah, joking.

Posted by _deleted_121007_2346_36 2/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yeah, I made a list of some of the trouble one.For example Time, Four, East, Ten, Gold, Long, Country, Now always give me Error or "Close but..."Just send the feedback and wait, and hope for the next time you see these words to have the multiple option.Also, the daily japanese sucks.Nah, joking.

Posted by _deleted_121007_2346_36 2/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm really sorry about this, there are a few issues with the Japanese fonts that are causing this - for the record you are supposed to write any or of the readings of the character. But there is a bug with the way that it is working at the moment. We are going to get it fixed as soon as possible, and I am really sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. Best wishesBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm really sorry about this, there are a few issues with the Japanese fonts that are causing this - for the record you are supposed to write any or of the readings of the character. But there is a bug with the way that it is working at the moment. We are going to get it fixed as soon as possible, and I am really sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. Best wishesBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • I went through and fixed the problem font on all the cards you have in your daily Japanese course. You should be able to enter either キン or かね now and get marked correct. Also, you can choose to "ignore kana" so it doesn't ask for them. (Mouse over the word Japanese Kanji at the top of a watering session and you can choose "ignore kana" from the drop down menu.) You might want to do that until this bug is fixed so you don't keep getting marked wrong.  :)

Posted by cacoethes 2/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Cacoethes, how do I go about and fixing that on my decks as well? I've been putting a star * next to the characters that have this issue, but it be nice to be able to fix the problem directly. Thank you.

Posted by jerome.p.lefebvre 3/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hmm, the problem I was referring to was that the words used the Japanese semi-colon ; to separate the pronunciations instead of the regular English keyboard semi-colon ; . Looking at the two courses listed in your profile, I don't see that problem. But I do think that the definitions need to be fixed. There should only be one definition in the main field. For example, "stylish; chic" should just be "stylish". The "chic" should be added to the English alternatives field.

I only changed these 2:

http://www.memrise.com/item/1333650/stylish-chic-3/?set=an-integrated-approach-to-intermediate-japanese-7 and http://www.memrise.com/item/1333612/to-value-to-give-importance-to-3/?set=an-integrated-approach-to-intermediate-japanese-7#content

I don't think that should be causing you trouble though...

I also see that http://www.memrise.com/item/1333614/to-learn-79/?set=an-integrated-approach-to-intermediate-japanese-7#content has a star. I don't see any reason why this one should be messing up, unless maybe you already fixed it...

Posted by cacoethes 3/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • There seems to be a problem with 旨 (the gist) as well. I'll admit, the whole "write down the kana for this" seems like a brilliant idea. But the system with some of the words are quite clunky. For 旨, I try to write "shi", "uma", and "mune". It all doesn't work, and is considered to be wrong.

Also, how do I send feedback for something? I can't find a 'report' button or link anywhere. Do I have to manually send an email?

Posted by nisbahmumtaz 3/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • Another bug: 日 (sun, day)

By the way, the course I'm taking is Kanji Damage.

• Heya, glad to see you on these forums :)

Are you using romaji or hiragana to answer? If you're using romaji, you'll get the answer right by chance sometimes, but the site isn't actually designed to use romaji.

Posted by cacoethes 3/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • S'up. I have some more memrise-related posts that correlates to some bugs at the KD forums too. Want me to post ALL of them here from now on?

I always use romaji. Guess I'll need a virtual kana keyboard to make things a little easier, eh?

• I started a new thread about the KD course, if you could please post them in there that would be great. It will help keep things a little more organized.

Sorry that posting directly on the word's discussion isn't extremely helpful right now. They are actually in the middle of a transition from the old system of notifications about discussions on words to a brand new system. In the past, Ben (one of the Memrise guys) would respond to your discussion super quick, but because they are in this weird transition phase no one's getting notified about comments on words at the moment. I heard the new system should be out within a week. :)

There are some helpful instructions on how to type in Japanese at the bottom of the FAQ: http://www.memrise.com/faq/japanese/

Posted by cacoethes 3/25/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity