Umlauts not necessary?

Hello.

It seems that whenever a word has an umlaut, you can type in the regular letter, and it will still be counted as correct. I was wondering if there was a way or the word to be counted as incorrect if you do this, because it would help me remember which words are supposed to haev umlauts.

Posted by memrise_ 2/4/12, last update 9/10/12 (1 year ago)
  • it would also be helpful if the acceptable alternatives were also counted as correct instead of incorrect (ae, oe, ue, ss).

Posted by anamorphism 2/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • it would also be helpful if the acceptable alternatives were also counted as correct instead of incorrect (ae, oe, ue, ss).

Posted by anamorphism 2/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • I agree with anamorphism. Without a german keyboard, I have to constantly stop to click the umlaut. And I think that this distracts my memory during retrieval. It would be better to type the accepted equivalents instead, so that the learners can concentrate on the recall.

Posted by jellywolf 7/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • @anamorphism, that is a good point, I will see if we can fix something automatic up to do this,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/5/12 (1 year ago)
  • i agree with anamorphism, it's general practice that when using a keyboard without ß,ö,ä,ü you can use ss, oe, ae, ue as accepted alternatives.

Posted by TL-Parnass 7/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Easiest way to make umlauts http://www.onehourprogramming.com/spanish-accents/

Posted by Steven77 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Also, I agree I would like an option to have the word counted as incorrect if I forget the umlaut.

Posted by Steven77 7/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Me too ____

Posted by _deleted_130214_1409_18 8/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • me as well, I just realized I've learned 'das Geschaft' instead of das Geschäft' because memorize has been accepting the first as correct. Please give us the option to have the words without umlauts marked as incorrect.

Posted by jtlewis2 8/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Me too. Umlauts are really important, and it makes no sense to ignore them.

Posted by mpafp 9/10/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity