Help with conventions?

I see that some of my word lists are changing. For example, I have a number list for things and I see that my 'one' has changed to 'one (native korean number)'.

Do the mods want me to change the rest of my numbers in that list to fit that convention? Or would it be better just to let them do their thing?

Posted by memrise_ 2/1/12, last update 2/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry to double post, but I'm just revising this course and I think (native korean number) disrupts the 'cleanliness' on the multiple choice screen. For example:one (native korean number)two (native korean number)three (native korean number)four (native korean number)Should we store this information in 'extra info'? However if we do that it brings up another problem. How can you tell if memrise asks you for 'one' does it mean the counting number or then number for money? Having the explanation in brackets beside it would solve it, but it looks really bad IMO.You could have the 'extra info' shown in light grey below the question word or a button to click to reveal the extra info. I know this is all aesthetics but it does bring up the interesting problem of one word in English having multiple meanings in Korean and how memrise goes about handling that. :) 

Posted by Disallowautoaim 2/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry to double post, but I'm just revising this course and I think (native korean number) disrupts the 'cleanliness' on the multiple choice screen. For example:one (native korean number)two (native korean number)three (native korean number)four (native korean number)Should we store this information in 'extra info'? However if we do that it brings up another problem. How can you tell if memrise asks you for 'one' does it mean the counting number or then number for money? Having the explanation in brackets beside it would solve it, but it looks really bad IMO.You could have the 'extra info' shown in light grey below the question word or a button to click to reveal the extra info. I know this is all aesthetics but it does bring up the interesting problem of one word in English having multiple meanings in Korean and how memrise goes about handling that. :) 

• I think that the "native korean number" should be put into the "part of speech" field. I know that it is not a part of speech really, but this will mean that it gets displayed during testing, which would help. Can one of the moderators shed any light on who is editing these items, and should we update the conventions to reflect this change to the way that native korean numbers are handled? (if it sounds like a good idea - otherwise should out with another plan!)ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think that the "native korean number" should be put into the "part of speech" field. I know that it is not a part of speech really, but this will mean that it gets displayed during testing, which would help. Can one of the moderators shed any light on who is editing these items, and should we update the conventions to reflect this change to the way that native korean numbers are handled? (if it sounds like a good idea - otherwise should out with another plan!)ThanksBen

• Can only mods change the 'part of speech'? I wanted to try it out but I can't seem to do it in my own sets.

• Can only mods change the 'part of speech'? I wanted to try it out but I can't seem to do it in my own sets.

• Yes, only curators can change any of the details of a word in the database - would you like to become a curator? 

• Yes, only curators can change any of the details of a word in the database - would you like to become a curator? 

• Yeah sure, ill help out where I can.

• Yeah sure, ill help out where I can.

• Yes that may be a good idea, RickC and me have already talked about how we could use the part of speech field but haven't come to a conclusion yet. I think it would be a good idea to gather some ideas how to use that field for Korean and then add it to the conventions. When I merged the entries I didnt really think about using that feature.

Posted by izo 2/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes that may be a good idea, RickC and me have already talked about how we could use the part of speech field but haven't come to a conclusion yet. I think it would be a good idea to gather some ideas how to use that field for Korean and then add it to the conventions. When I merged the entries I didnt really think about using that feature.

• Here is also the latest version of the new conventions, without the part of speech fields.http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224560...

• Here is also the latest version of the new conventions, without the part of speech fields.http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224560...

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity