Switching Latin and English around?

Hey I was wondering if anyone would object to the the Latin and English being swapped around on the questions? It's just that it's more likely you'll be asked to translate Latin to English in an exam than vice versa.

Posted by memrise_ 1/25/12, last update 8/28/12 (1 year ago)
  • that would work well

Posted by Ragger 3/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm using "A2 Latin words list - Ovid and Caesar vocab" and there are several instances where the "word" is the English term, not the Latin. That feels like a mistake when I'm trying to review words. I think a course should be one way, Latin to English or English to Latin, not mixed.

Posted by darklordspet 7/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • This is definitely an error - the fields should be called "latin" and "english" and they should contain what they say - could you possibly leave a comment on any item that is the wrong way around, and I will fix it?

Thanks

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hey Ben: I couldn't see how to leave a comment on a term, so I made a video showing what I see in the UI so that you can guide me to the "comment" function: http://youtu.be/JcqCOSH4l6U

Thank you!

Posted by darklordspet 7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you very much for making that video, and I am sorry that the UI is so confusing that you had to! in answer to your questions:

1- you leave a comment by clicking on the "discussions" tab that is just to the right of the "111 mems" tab, and just below left of the part of speech.

2- if in the comment you also mention the mems that need to go, I will delete those for you; in general we are going to deal with these through more fluid rating systems, but in this case I can just get rid of the dross.

Thanks and best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Is there any way that the person creating the course could choose whether to have it Latin-English or English-Latin? I'm making a wordlist of words from a Latin Prose Composition book, which would be more helpful the other way around. Obviously, most courses benefit from it the way it is now, so if the system can't support that kind of diversity, don't worry about it.

Posted by gemlippiatt 7/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm afraid that there isn't a way to do this within one topic at the moment. This is something that is planned for the future, but in the meantime, there was actually another Latin topic already set up to test this way, so I have made that one visible again in the Latin topics pag - if you go to "topics" and then search for "Latin" you should see it. I hope that helps!

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • That's great, thanks! Is there any way I can easily transfer the word list I just put into the 'Latin' topic over to 'Latin Composition'?

Posted by gemlippiatt 7/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm afraid that the list that you just made will be using items in the main "Latin" wiki, so they can't easily be moved over. The fastes way to do it would be to download the spreadsheet of the list (click "download" underneath the list of words) and then create a new course in the other topic, and paste the list of latin words into the "add words as a list" box.

I hope that helps,

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   7/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • For absum to harvest it, I had to enter absum in the test, rather than the english translation it was asking for.

Ancilla, it says female salve rather than female slave.

Posted by Fierra 8/28/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity