Including El, La, Los, and Las for Spanish nouns

I'm not sure what can be done at this point, but it would be nice to have all the Spanish nouns include El, La, Los, or Las to indicate gender. I find myself missing words because I either include El, La, Los, or Las when the answer does not, or I exclude them when the answer includes them. I end up repeating words that I know. It gets to the point where I'm having to remember if the particular word includes El, La, Los, or Las.

Posted by memrise_ 1/4/12, last update 2/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Agreed.  The English prompt will say "skirt" for example...so I type "falda."  This is scored as not correct because I didn't type "la falda."  If the prompt had read "the skirt,"  I would know to include "la."  At other times, the Spanish noun will NOT contain the article (el, la, los, las).

Posted by skitha 1/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • Agreed.  The English prompt will say "skirt" for example...so I type "falda."  This is scored as not correct because I didn't type "la falda."  If the prompt had read "the skirt,"  I would know to include "la."  At other times, the Spanish noun will NOT contain the article (el, la, los, las).

Posted by skitha 1/4/12 (2 years ago)
  • We are just uploading a full dictionary of words which are all standardised in the way that they are entered, so that all Spanish nouns have the definite article, but you will be marked correct when you answer if you miss it off. I am uploading the dictionary now, and then it will take a few days to merge the items that are currently on the site with the ones in the new dictionary. Then all of the Spanish content on the site will be correctly formatted and accurate.Sorry for the inconvenience!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   1/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • We are just uploading a full dictionary of words which are all standardised in the way that they are entered, so that all Spanish nouns have the definite article, but you will be marked correct when you answer if you miss it off. I am uploading the dictionary now, and then it will take a few days to merge the items that are currently on the site with the ones in the new dictionary. Then all of the Spanish content on the site will be correctly formatted and accurate.Sorry for the inconvenience!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   1/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • I share aitchdubya's problem but would be very happy to see memrise's solution implemented!

Posted by gardinergreen 1/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • I share aitchdubya's problem but would be very happy to see memrise's solution implemented!

Posted by gardinergreen 1/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • That would be great! It's important to learn the articles with the nouns. Thanks for doing this on the site.

Posted by sanlee 1/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • That would be great! It's important to learn the articles with the nouns. Thanks for doing this on the site.

Posted by sanlee 1/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • Any updates on this front?

Posted by aitchdubya 1/28/12 (2 years ago)
  • Any updates on this front?

Posted by aitchdubya 1/28/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, the full dictionary is uploaded, so if you want to create a wordlist now you can do so by just uploading a list of Spanish words and it will pick the checked items out from the database. We are in the process of merging the items in wordlists with the checked items so that all the wordlists that have already been made are also fixed up. This will be finished soon; it is taking a bit longer than hoped for because we are re-building the infrastructure at the same time to make sure that we don't need to do this again in the future. Best wishesBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   1/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, the full dictionary is uploaded, so if you want to create a wordlist now you can do so by just uploading a list of Spanish words and it will pick the checked items out from the database. We are in the process of merging the items in wordlists with the checked items so that all the wordlists that have already been made are also fixed up. This will be finished soon; it is taking a bit longer than hoped for because we are re-building the infrastructure at the same time to make sure that we don't need to do this again in the future. Best wishesBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   1/29/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben, we certainly all appreciate your work however as of today the fix still isn't working on all words. From the top of my head "nap - dia" is one that is still messed up and others I forgot.

Posted by sfrenchie 2/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben, we certainly all appreciate your work however as of today the fix still isn't working on all words. From the top of my head "nap - dia" is one that is still messed up and others I forgot.

Posted by sfrenchie 2/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi, sorry to be dumb - in what sense is the fix not working, and how are these items messed up? If the items don't have a definite article, then you just need to leave a comment on the word and it will get fixed and merged. Does that help? Sorry if I am being slow here!ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi, sorry to be dumb - in what sense is the fix not working, and how are these items messed up? If the items don't have a definite article, then you just need to leave a comment on the word and it will get fixed and merged. Does that help? Sorry if I am being slow here!ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have had this problem too, some words are still not merged in this way i.e. when you don´t include the article, it marks it incorrect. I will start putting notes on the ones that I find that are like this.... what category of mem should I write the note in? Extra Info? Thanks.

Posted by mimi88 2/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • I have had this problem too, some words are still not merged in this way i.e. when you don´t include the article, it marks it incorrect. I will start putting notes on the ones that I find that are like this.... what category of mem should I write the note in? Extra Info? Thanks.

• thank you for this, it will be great to have your help. COuld you leave the comment actually as a comment on the word - not as a mem of any type. To leave a comment you have to go to the "item detail" page for that word. To get there you can either click "edit" from the menu at the top when you see a word in a learning session, or you can click on the flower in the garden or wordlist view.I hope that helps,ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • thank you for this, it will be great to have your help. COuld you leave the comment actually as a comment on the word - not as a mem of any type. To leave a comment you have to go to the "item detail" page for that word. To get there you can either click "edit" from the menu at the top when you see a word in a learning session, or you can click on the flower in the garden or wordlist view.I hope that helps,ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • Will try to... tbh this highlights a development area... It would be great if there was a way of making a comment, or a question about the language to native speakers\other people who might know an answer... actually while learning... I have put some of these type of comments under 'Extra Info' but I don´t know whether anyone ever looks at them, and I wouldn´t know if an answer had been posted because there´s no way of being notified... worth some thought? Just an idea... hope it makes sense!

• Will try to... tbh this highlights a development area... It would be great if there was a way of making a comment, or a question about the language to native speakers\other people who might know an answer... actually while learning... I have put some of these type of comments under 'Extra Info' but I don´t know whether anyone ever looks at them, and I wouldn´t know if an answer had been posted because there´s no way of being notified... worth some thought? Just an idea... hope it makes sense!

• Definitely - this is in fact one of the reasons that we are building our own comments machinery are are switching away from Disqus: so that you can leave comments from within a learning session and easily keep track of responses. This is on the way, but for the moment Im afraid that you will still need to click on the edit button at the top for a little while longer. Apologies for that, we are working on the fix!ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Definitely - this is in fact one of the reasons that we are building our own comments machinery are are switching away from Disqus: so that you can leave comments from within a learning session and easily keep track of responses. This is on the way, but for the moment Im afraid that you will still need to click on the edit button at the top for a little while longer. Apologies for that, we are working on the fix!ThanksBen

Posted by BenWhately Staff   2/24/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity