German content creation

Memrise is a wiki, and we have got bunch of people who are helping to make the German content truly awesome. But there is still more work to be done. So please let us know what improvements would be most useful to you, and also if you would be able to help in any way.

Firstly, we have been developing some "conventions" for how German content should best be added to Memrise. Please take a look at these here(http://www.memrise.com/faq/german/) and add a comment to this thread with any ideas that you have for how these could be changed or improved.

We have then got a target of getting 5,000 words into the database, checked for accuracy and with audio added, by Christmas. This is a tough target, but with your help, we can get there!

Posted by memrise_ 11/22/11, last update 1/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi there!I would very much help you reaching your goal, I can help by adding words/ correcting and audio recording!I'm sure there are plenty more people from germany here that would be willing to help out.It is rare enough that someone wants to learn german so we should do all we can to support it! ;D

Posted by TL-Faruep 11/22/11 (3 years ago)
  • Hi there!I would very much help you reaching your goal, I can help by adding words/ correcting and audio recording!I'm sure there are plenty more people from germany here that would be willing to help out.It is rare enough that someone wants to learn german so we should do all we can to support it! ;D

Posted by TL-Faruep 11/22/11 (3 years ago)
  • I could also help with the content - I'm a native german speaker and due to my hobby (homerecording of musical instruments) i have the setup to do proper voice recordings. I'm not a professional speaker, but I'd be glad to help :)I'm just not sure how to start. How do i upload voice recordings? Do I need to recieve special rights to do so?

Posted by TL-x2mirko 11/22/11 (3 years ago)
  • I could also help with the content - I'm a native german speaker and due to my hobby (homerecording of musical instruments) i have the setup to do proper voice recordings. I'm not a professional speaker, but I'd be glad to help :)I'm just not sure how to start. How do i upload voice recordings? Do I need to recieve special rights to do so?

Posted by TL-x2mirko 11/22/11 (3 years ago)
  • I'm currently in the process of recording pronounciation audio for the lists you sent me, and already I've stumbled upon a word with a questionable/incomplete translation.What's the best way to notify you of errors etc.? I didn't find a report button or anything.Word in question: http://www.memrise.com/item/22..."das Werk" is translated as "work" which is technically correct but incomplete. It should say "work (e.g. of art)". "Work" as in the work you do would be "die Arbeit".

Posted by TL-Void 11/22/11 (3 years ago)
  • I'm currently in the process of recording pronounciation audio for the lists you sent me, and already I've stumbled upon a word with a questionable/incomplete translation.What's the best way to notify you of errors etc.? I didn't find a report button or anything.Word in question: http://www.memrise.com/item/22..."das Werk" is translated as "work" which is technically correct but incomplete. It should say "work (e.g. of art)". "Work" as in the work you do would be "die Arbeit".

Posted by TL-Void 11/22/11 (3 years ago)
  • I'm not a native speaker, but I've been learning German for about 8 years now and I'm currently living there so I'd be able to help with lexical/orthographic issues. I can give a non-native speaker's opinion of things to hopefully create an even richer picture of the language.I don't have any suggestions to add, to be honest. Your guidelines seem to have covered the most important things. I'm a little confused by "add the masculine version of the German

" under "adjectives"; I assume you mean write the adjective unconjugated (i.e., schwach instead of schwache/schwaches), but I figured I'd ask anyway just to make sure I'm clear on everything.How and where can I get started?

Posted by TL-Holzmann 11/23/11 (3 years ago)
  • I'm not a native speaker, but I've been learning German for about 8 years now and I'm currently living there so I'd be able to help with lexical/orthographic issues. I can give a non-native speaker's opinion of things to hopefully create an even richer picture of the language.I don't have any suggestions to add, to be honest. Your guidelines seem to have covered the most important things. I'm a little confused by "add the masculine version of the German

" under "adjectives"; I assume you mean write the adjective unconjugated (i.e., schwach instead of schwache/schwaches), but I figured I'd ask anyway just to make sure I'm clear on everything.How and where can I get started?

Posted by TL-Holzmann 11/23/11 (3 years ago)
  • Great spot, thank you. The best way to report the issue is to go to the "discussion" tab on the word's detail page (the one you linked to) and leave a comment explaining the issue. That way the topic curators can see it - we are working on a better system to notify all volunteers of these kinds of comments, but we need to do it in a way which won't spam you, of course, so it is going to take a little bit of work to get it just right. But in the meantime if you comment on a specific word then I will make sure that it gets edited. Thanks!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/24/11 (3 years ago)
  • Great spot, thank you. The best way to report the issue is to go to the "discussion" tab on the word's detail page (the one you linked to) and leave a comment explaining the issue. That way the topic curators can see it - we are working on a better system to notify all volunteers of these kinds of comments, but we need to do it in a way which won't spam you, of course, so it is going to take a little bit of work to get it just right. But in the meantime if you comment on a specific word then I will make sure that it gets edited. Thanks!

• It would be amazing to have your help!Could you send me an email (ben@memrise.com) and I will send you the instructions on how best to do this. It would be massively appreciated! 

• It would be amazing to have your help!Could you send me an email (ben@memrise.com) and I will send you the instructions on how best to do this. It would be massively appreciated! 

• It would be wonderful to have you help - we have got two or three people working on building up the german database at the moment - I will ask them to come and get involved in this thread and let you (and everyone else) know what their targets and process is and how they are going about it. We have been working on making the process as easy as possible for other people to collaborate on. I will also ask for clarification of the "add the masculine version", although I think that the meaning is as you suggest, perhaps we could re-word it to make it clearer.

• It would be wonderful to have you help - we have got two or three people working on building up the german database at the moment - I will ask them to come and get involved in this thread and let you (and everyone else) know what their targets and process is and how they are going about it. We have been working on making the process as easy as possible for other people to collaborate on. I will also ask for clarification of the "add the masculine version", although I think that the meaning is as you suggest, perhaps we could re-word it to make it clearer.

• Hi everyone!My name's Carri. I would like to join those who are currently building the german section. I am working as a German as Foreign Language (called DaF - "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" in Germany) teacher an am a native speaker. I am doing studies as well on how playing while learning (or learning while playing) can improve the whole process of learning so of course I am thrilled with this project!

Posted by carrion 11/27/11 (3 years ago)
  • Hi everyone!My name's Carri. I would like to join those who are currently building the german section. I am working as a German as Foreign Language (called DaF - "Deutsch als Fremdsprache" in Germany) teacher an am a native speaker. I am doing studies as well on how playing while learning (or learning while playing) can improve the whole process of learning so of course I am thrilled with this project!

Posted by carrion 11/27/11 (3 years ago)
  • Yikes that's a tough goal! I'm not a native speaker but can help however you want. Now about the conventions, the adjective part seems wrong for German. It does not work like the romance languages. German has 3 genders, plural and 4 cases. The adjective ending will change depending upon all those things. It also depends on if you use the definite article, non-definite article, or no article. Further more you only conjugate adjectives when it is in front of the thing it's modifying (ie the blue boy vs the boy is blue). They're all conjugated the same way so I think it would be best just to use the standard dictionary form and let users learn the grammar for themselves. Adding all of the alternatives would add unnecessary clutter and confusion. (to sum that up I think you should delete the last two lines under adjectives and change masculine under the first line to dictionary).I'm not sure what an inflected form is, perhaps it would be better to say the genitive ending.

Posted by Robodl95 12/3/11 (2 years ago)
  • Yikes that's a tough goal! I'm not a native speaker but can help however you want. Now about the conventions, the adjective part seems wrong for German. It does not work like the romance languages. German has 3 genders, plural and 4 cases. The adjective ending will change depending upon all those things. It also depends on if you use the definite article, non-definite article, or no article. Further more you only conjugate adjectives when it is in front of the thing it's modifying (ie the blue boy vs the boy is blue). They're all conjugated the same way so I think it would be best just to use the standard dictionary form and let users learn the grammar for themselves. Adding all of the alternatives would add unnecessary clutter and confusion. (to sum that up I think you should delete the last two lines under adjectives and change masculine under the first line to dictionary).I'm not sure what an inflected form is, perhaps it would be better to say the genitive ending.

Posted by Robodl95 12/3/11 (2 years ago)
  • Besides correcting I could add some audio recordings as well. Just let me know should you need me ;)

Posted by danielw 1/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Besides correcting I could add some audio recordings as well. Just let me know should you need me ;)

Posted by danielw 1/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Superb! We will be in touch. For the audio recordings, it is best to get in touch with the community manager I think: ben@memrise.com. Thanks!

Posted by technoparty 1/9/12 (2 years ago)
  • Superb! We will be in touch. For the audio recordings, it is best to get in touch with the community manager I think: ben@memrise.com. Thanks!

Posted by technoparty 1/9/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity