German pronunciation

I am studying the German, however I cannot find a lesson that has the pronunciation along with it. Does anyone know of a beginners lesson that also includes the pronunciation? Thanks.

Posted by memrise_ 11/8/11, last update 4/3/12 (2 years ago)
  • youtube is a good tool to help you get the pronunciation right. just type in "german pronunciation" for example. forvo.com is not that bad either. grüße

Posted by LaHa 11/10/11 (3 years ago)
  • youtube is a good tool to help you get the pronunciation right. just type in "german pronunciation" for example. forvo.com is not that bad either. grüße

Posted by LaHa 11/10/11 (3 years ago)
  • This is changing fast! We are building up the German data base, and soon the word-sets should all have audios to go with them. Thank you for your patience!

Posted by technoparty 11/23/11 (3 years ago)
  • This is changing fast! We are building up the German data base, and soon the word-sets should all have audios to go with them. Thank you for your patience!

Posted by technoparty 11/23/11 (3 years ago)
  • Try www.leo.org it´s actually used by german speakers as an open dictionary, but they also offer a pronunciation of the german terms as well as most of the other languages.The good thing is: german is not too hard to pronounce, so you will be able to immitate very fast! good luck!

Posted by kathi 12/4/11 (2 years ago)
  • Try www.leo.org it´s actually used by german speakers as an open dictionary, but they also offer a pronunciation of the german terms as well as most of the other languages.The good thing is: german is not too hard to pronounce, so you will be able to immitate very fast! good luck!

Posted by kathi 12/4/11 (2 years ago)
  • Is there a way, that I can upload my own recordings? I have a Chinese friend, whom I recommended this website. She told me, that some of the spoken words sounded strange to her. I have to agree. Some of the words are not spoken in a natural way. So I would like to contribute my own audio files. I am a male native speaker of hochdeutsch.Please let me know.

Posted by Wu_Song 12/24/11 (2 years ago)
  • Is there a way, that I can upload my own recordings? I have a Chinese friend, whom I recommended this website. She told me, that some of the spoken words sounded strange to her. I have to agree. Some of the words are not spoken in a natural way. So I would like to contribute my own audio files. I am a male native speaker of hochdeutsch.Please let me know.

Posted by Wu_Song 12/24/11 (2 years ago)
  • Of course, one should learn from other sources too, but the exercises on this website should have the pronunciation, it would be much faster for the learner. The "Introductory German" course, for example, only has pronunciation for part of the words and the sound quality and the voice are not so good.

Posted by gumba 12/26/11 (2 years ago)
  • Of course, one should learn from other sources too, but the exercises on this website should have the pronunciation, it would be much faster for the learner. The "Introductory German" course, for example, only has pronunciation for part of the words and the sound quality and the voice are not so good.

Posted by gumba 12/26/11 (2 years ago)
  • CErtainly, we are adding more audio to all the languages, in clouding Chinese all the time - the wider variety of voices and accents that we have, the better. All we ask is that only native speakers record audio. Please send me an email - ben@memrise.com - and I can take you through the process for recording audio.Thanks!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   12/26/11 (2 years ago)
  • CErtainly, we are adding more audio to all the languages, in clouding Chinese all the time - the wider variety of voices and accents that we have, the better. All we ask is that only native speakers record audio. Please send me an email - ben@memrise.com - and I can take you through the process for recording audio.Thanks!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   12/26/11 (2 years ago)
  • Hello, Ben says that they request that only native speakers record audio. Is that being adhered to? Only I was wondering whether all the audio clips were by native speakers. Maybe it's just that people are from different regions of Germany and have slightly different accents, or maybe some people are talking with more of a casual accent rather than formal, but I wondered whether they were all native speakers. 

Posted by LouiseWantsToLearnGerman 1/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello, Ben says that they request that only native speakers record audio. Is that being adhered to? Only I was wondering whether all the audio clips were by native speakers. Maybe it's just that people are from different regions of Germany and have slightly different accents, or maybe some people are talking with more of a casual accent rather than formal, but I wondered whether they were all native speakers. 

Posted by LouiseWantsToLearnGerman 1/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, they should definitely all be native speakers - if there are any that you think sound off, could you please make a comment on the word and we will check them out for you. Thanks!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   1/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • Yes, they should definitely all be native speakers - if there are any that you think sound off, could you please make a comment on the word and we will check them out for you. Thanks!

Posted by BenWhately Staff   1/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am just starting German, I have about 36 words. In the words that I have there are 3 people that have recorded audio, one female that recorded the words first, a male that has recorded a few words, and another female that has added words recently.Of the two female speakers I think the second is better. It's great that the first one made the recordings and it's been really helpful but I think she has a less neutral accent. Most words sound like they have a regional accent I think. The recordings are also at a higher volume than the new ones. When you are doing the test you get random recordings, sometimes the soft ones and sometimes loud, it's a little bit annoying.It would be nice if there was a way to select one speaker, or individually select the recording you prefer for playback during the test.

Posted by _deleted_130817_2046_39 1/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am just starting German, I have about 36 words. In the words that I have there are 3 people that have recorded audio, one female that recorded the words first, a male that has recorded a few words, and another female that has added words recently.Of the two female speakers I think the second is better. It's great that the first one made the recordings and it's been really helpful but I think she has a less neutral accent. Most words sound like they have a regional accent I think. The recordings are also at a higher volume than the new ones. When you are doing the test you get random recordings, sometimes the soft ones and sometimes loud, it's a little bit annoying.It would be nice if there was a way to select one speaker, or individually select the recording you prefer for playback during the test.

Posted by _deleted_130817_2046_39 1/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi chair!I think someone is probably better qualified to answer this than me, but I'm helping out with getting audios from native speakers and volunteering generally in building up the German database so thought I could maybe respond to some of your queries.All the speakers are native German - I think you're right though that the first female speaker comes from southern Germany, where obviously the accent is very different to the north, and to other parts of the country. However, I would argue that it's important to have a good mix, as the majority of Germans do not speak the 'hochdeutsch' that we are encouraged to learn in schools. I can see that you'd expect maybe to have the most neutral, 'standard' voice perhaps, but actually it might be more helpful for a live-in-Germany situation to come across different accents. However, as a first time learner I can see that learning different words with different accents might be confusing - so to your last point, I think you're onto something. We will think about how we can streamline this in the future - it might be a while till the feature comes, but it's something which might work really well, so thank you for the suggestion!With the volume of the recordings, we're trying to standardise them as much as possible, but at the moment we're just volunteers helping out so the recordings are being done on laptops, rather than professionally, which means that there will be a variation in recording levels. Again, this is something we will think about - maybe even using audacity, we can work out a way to have all recordings done at exactly the same volume - I'm sure it's possible.Thanks for using Memrise!! And for great feedback.

Posted by technoparty 1/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi chair!I think someone is probably better qualified to answer this than me, but I'm helping out with getting audios from native speakers and volunteering generally in building up the German database so thought I could maybe respond to some of your queries.All the speakers are native German - I think you're right though that the first female speaker comes from southern Germany, where obviously the accent is very different to the north, and to other parts of the country. However, I would argue that it's important to have a good mix, as the majority of Germans do not speak the 'hochdeutsch' that we are encouraged to learn in schools. I can see that you'd expect maybe to have the most neutral, 'standard' voice perhaps, but actually it might be more helpful for a live-in-Germany situation to come across different accents. However, as a first time learner I can see that learning different words with different accents might be confusing - so to your last point, I think you're onto something. We will think about how we can streamline this in the future - it might be a while till the feature comes, but it's something which might work really well, so thank you for the suggestion!With the volume of the recordings, we're trying to standardise them as much as possible, but at the moment we're just volunteers helping out so the recordings are being done on laptops, rather than professionally, which means that there will be a variation in recording levels. Again, this is something we will think about - maybe even using audacity, we can work out a way to have all recordings done at exactly the same volume - I'm sure it's possible.Thanks for using Memrise!! And for great feedback.

Posted by technoparty 1/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you, but I think the explanation that some speakers were from Southern Germany, and others from Northern or elsewhere, and it being a matter of different regional accents answered my query. Yes, it's right and good that we're exposed to different regional accents. Thanks again.

Posted by LouiseWantsToLearnGerman 1/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you, but I think the explanation that some speakers were from Southern Germany, and others from Northern or elsewhere, and it being a matter of different regional accents answered my query. Yes, it's right and good that we're exposed to different regional accents. Thanks again.

Posted by LouiseWantsToLearnGerman 1/22/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hey, if you have a special lesson or list that you want to have the audio to, just tell me and I can record it. I am native German speaker and can record anything you want... :)

Posted by travelhanna 2/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hey, if you have a special lesson or list that you want to have the audio to, just tell me and I can record it. I am native German speaker and can record anything you want... :)

Posted by travelhanna 2/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • Learning IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) is very useful on learning pronunciation!

Posted by phonies 4/3/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity