Usage in Hong Kong

I can't speak for Taiwan, but although Hong Kong uses the traditional characters, the spoken language is entirely different. Since Memrise intends to teach pronunciation as well, you'd need a full Cantonese language group to be useful in Hong Kong. Traditional characters with Mandarin pronunciations won't be much use.

Posted by memrise_ 10/31/11, last update 11/13/11 (2 years ago)
  • it would be to help the cantonese speaking population learn MANDARIN... which IS the "common language" of China... uniting her people.

Posted by dreambox 11/4/11 (2 years ago)
  • it would be to help the cantonese speaking population learn MANDARIN... which IS the "common language" of China... uniting her people.

Posted by dreambox 11/4/11 (2 years ago)
  • Taiwanese people primarily speak Mandarin (and Taiwanese), so the traditional characters with Mandarin pronunciations would be very useful for those interested in living in Taiwan or traveling in Taiwan (Although you could get by reasonably well learning simplified Mandarin).

Posted by TL-Subztance 11/13/11 (2 years ago)
  • Taiwanese people primarily speak Mandarin (and Taiwanese), so the traditional characters with Mandarin pronunciations would be very useful for those interested in living in Taiwan or traveling in Taiwan (Although you could get by reasonably well learning simplified Mandarin).

Posted by TL-Subztance 11/13/11 (2 years ago)
  • Yup, this is completely true - Cantonese is another language. If you would like to learn Cantonese, there is already a "Cantonese" language topic on Memrise - but it has a somewhat paltry 7 words in it. If you are keen to learn Cantonese, then I could add in the Traditional characters to that set (I couldn't easily add the Cantonese pronunciations, so you would have to add those as you go along). Would that be useful? if so I would be more than happy to help you to develop the Cantonese learning resources - or Shanghainese for that matter! 

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/13/11 (2 years ago)
  • Yup, this is completely true - Cantonese is another language. If you would like to learn Cantonese, there is already a "Cantonese" language topic on Memrise - but it has a somewhat paltry 7 words in it. If you are keen to learn Cantonese, then I could add in the Traditional characters to that set (I couldn't easily add the Cantonese pronunciations, so you would have to add those as you go along). Would that be useful? if so I would be more than happy to help you to develop the Cantonese learning resources - or Shanghainese for that matter! 

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/13/11 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity