-

Posted by None 3/16/12, last update 11/9/12 (1 year ago)
  • That may be the scariest avatar I have ever seen.

Posted by Azimuth 4/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • thx! Your mems are amazing! and so plentiful! GG__

Posted by TL-pRo9aMeR 4/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • Really, I think some of them are pretty hit or miss. Anyways, making them helps me learn :D Even making some not so hot ones.

Posted by ThatHorse 4/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm flattered, I guess I'll have to try harder from now on, seems I have a reputation to maintain :P Thanks for the message :)

Posted by QuesoHombre 4/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think the HSK courses are ok, but I don't think you learn a useful amount of vocab until you've complete 1-3 at least... As a Chinese person who grew up in the UK, I can speak the language fluently but limited to mostly domestic situations, and until year ago I couldn't read or write. I'm maybe 3/4 the way through HSK4 and I'd say I'm still a fair ways yet from being able to write what I'm can speak, but I'm learning a lot of words I've never used before too.

The 1-500, 501-1000, 1001-1500 etc. wordlists are good to work through too, as they help you get a lot of character recognition in early on. Unfortunately they only teach you to recognise characters, they don't teach you to understand words made of compound characters. Still, if you wanted to learn what people use most often, you can't go wrong with that series.

Posted by extantpanda 4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm finding that I'm 2/3's through the HSK3 list and 2/5 through HSK4 and I'm constantly coming across really typical words I should already know being "1000 words" deep.

So I've started to make my own lists to see what it's like to tackle that problem. My "13 Weeks of Mandarin" course contains what I would have a total beginner study in their first week. It's words, not necessarily characters, plus depdendencies. Interestingly I had only encountered even 95% of those on Memrise so far. Words like 这个 I hadn't even encountered yet!

Posted by ThatHorse 4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • that looks like a great course! Let me know when it is finished, and maybe we can put it up as a "featured" course!

And let me know if I can help at all. Best wishes,

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Looks like a great series of lists; I'll be adding them to my garden as you create them.

Posted by Azimuth 4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • As am I!

Posted by extantpanda 4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks, I am flattered. Mandarin is completely new to me. Enjoy your study....

Posted by savoen 5/3/12 (2 years ago)
  • Pink and green are a nice combination. But more than the colors I like the two creatures. The parrot is very special, she's from the wild, we found her on the street after she was hit by a car and we thought she was going to die. Very smart animal. Apart from that, I always have the feeling memrise is not keeping proportions of pics properly... I'm only just starting off with the mems. Thanks for your big collection, there are some nice ones in there. Do you know how to edit a mem you've created?

Posted by guaka 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • I think right now only curators can edit mems. When you go to the page for the word, you can see all the mems made for it. When you mouse over your own do you have a blue icon to edit it? Or is that only for curators? I'm not sure. I'm sure they want creators to be able to edit their own mems.

Posted by ThatHorse 5/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Not sure why you're giving me all those high fives, but thanks! I really appreciate your mems, too.

Posted by mariepi70 5/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Have you got your curator permissions back yet?

Posted by extantpanda 5/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • Permissions still have problems and it seems like every mem is less readable than before due to the changes. Love this site, but it's def. worse for me than before these days, despite the constant attempts to improve it.

Posted by ThatHorse 6/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • Great job today reaching 30k + points! You must of had tons to water. I plant around 50-100 a day but still cant near that mark :p

Posted by Forxnat 7/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Nobody noticed but I just crossed the 1,000,000 mark. :D

Posted by ThatHorse 7/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm pretty happy with the two courses I made today to help me re-learn all the words I had put on ignore because their tones wouldn't stick.

I then used those courses in "other ways to study > pronunciation > typing test of old words" mode, making mems along the way. It's going great right now.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • I just read one of your posts - congrats on crossing the million marker. Now you only have the 500 thumbs up and the 2000 words to achieve. I figure in a couple of weeks at least on of these will happen.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks jennifer. How does it feel to have a handfull of millions?

Posted by ThatHorse 7/25/12 (2 years ago)
  • actually - I feel so stupid compared to people who have learned so many words with so few points. I've been adding words (about 50/70 a day) recently so I'm earning more points than usual. On an average day without any new words, watering only wilted - I could easily hit 10-15k - I 'm really bad at spelling - especially the spanish. In the morning - it takes about 30-45 minutes to clear all the wilted plants. Then - depending on the day - I'll try to pop in for 10-15 (max) minutes every 3-4 hours to clear out new wilting plants.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • That's so many words to add. It seems like being bad at spelling right now is the way to rack up points. I've just been trying to get HSK3 to stop being so annoying and the result has been mad points.

I worry that I should be spending more time speaking and listening.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/26/12 (2 years ago)
  • It does get better - for my HSK 4 - I routinely get about 20-40 words in the morning max. For the spanish courses- I need to slow down and stop making stupid mistakes. I actually wish there was some way to not get points - because I don't think I should get partial credit for getting something wrong.
    For listening - have you tried watching some mandarin-dubbed korean dramas or chinese newscasts? Even if you don't understand everything that is said - you can still pick out specific words and characters from listening and reading ( or trying to) the captions. It doesn't have to be a lot - but I would recommend being consistent (10 minutes a day sort of consistent). I figured that even if I don't understand anything, at least I'm hearing the sounds (and from the newscasters - studying the shape of their mouths as they pronounce the words). I tried the music route - but I haven't found any music that I like. The stuff I've heard is too sappy for me. I like a little edginess to my music.

Posted by jenniferhunter 7/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi ThatHorse, congrats on a milli! thanks for high five......how does one high five? still trying to make sense of this site but not doing a good job.....

Posted by Vino 7/28/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks ThatHorse! I really appreciate that! You have lots of nice mems too! Wish you happy learning :)

Posted by romduda 7/28/12 (2 years ago)
  • Couldn't figure out how to respond to your comment... but I made those graphs in photoshop, i can send you a copy if you want

Posted by jcicchelli 7/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • You are really on to something with those graphs. Are you gonna make one for ea. syllable? I kind of am tempted to make a course for ea. It's fun too.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • I was going to... give me a week or so and i'll crank some out. if you want the PSD files i can send you those as well.

Posted by jcicchelli 7/30/12 (2 years ago)
  • Want to say Congrats! :D Been away for 2 weeks so I know I am a little late ;) and 200,000 points behind the million!

Hope it's getting easier now and the HSK's are getting a little less annoying!

Posted by Forxnat 8/5/12 (2 years ago)
  • Spotted a duplicate in 13 weeks #2: http://www.memrise.com/item/60531/huo-2/ looks like a duplicate of http://www.memrise.com/item/522635/assistant-10/

Posted by Azimuth 8/7/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks Azimuth; I think I fixed it.

Posted by ThatHorse 8/8/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello, thanks for adding me as a mempal, I've just done the same. Living in Shanghai and teaching English, well, I envy your life a little bit. ))

Posted by DimGenich 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Right back at you! I have yet to be able to say I "know" a second language even! Maybe your life is better.

Posted by ThatHorse 8/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • You're right, I am wasting energy all over the place; can't seem to get the proper order of revision going. But how else do you revise other than by using tests? The algorithm keeps resting me on certain words so I find I am aimlessly racking up points. How many words in total for your 13 week course? Did you pull them all from hsk 1-3? Great job btw, crammed with great info, more thorough than the hsk 1 and 2 courses. Thanks :)

Posted by Vino 8/21/12 (2 years ago)
  • It's based on word frequency that some other courses use. HSK was, um, chosen a little differently than that, it seems. The review scheduling on the site isn't ideal but I guess it's probably good and then will keep improving it.

Posted by ThatHorse 8/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • it's all appetite as u rightly pointed out and the algorithm isn't facilitating our individual relishes. i gather ur feeling overwhelmed and undermotivated? time for a break perhaps? think how u'll come back rested, fresh, invigorated and ready to perhaps even start a course with the fab new tools Ben had teased us without detail? hopefully this addresses the ennui? though i doubt. how did Ben change from being a 父 五 员 to making it about 元?he seemed so legit.

Posted by Vino 8/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Well, it's been a ride. There are some golden things to learn from what we've all done here. No matter what happens in the future, some really cool ideas, implemented and not, came to mind during our time here. Hopefully at minimum some other projects may be inspired to start; I think the bar has been raised.

Posted by ThatHorse 8/28/12 (2 years ago)
  • This is just to say your 13 Weeks of Mandarin course is great! Really well thought out. I plan to work my way through it. Thanks!

Posted by viim 10/4/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'm happy to hear that. Thx a lot. :-)

Posted by ThatHorse 10/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • time for some new mems horseman. no slacking.

Posted by joerothuk 11/9/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity