Pronunciation

The course I'm doing ('the thousand most common words in Dutch' - though I doubt this is true, since it contains words such as 'spark plug'!) is very good. If pronunciation were provided (from a native speaker) it might become one of the greats. Dutch isn't - unlike, for example, Italian - a language that is pronounced by English-speakers as it is written, so provision of the spoken word would be a massive boost. The convergence of visual and aural aspects would at the same time further strengthen vocab retention and speed of uptake.

Posted by _deleted_120418_0954_43 3/15/12, last update 6/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • If you are only using memrise to study Dutch I'd strongly recommend that you pick up some other form of software, such as Michel Thomas or Pimsleur to learn both the pronunciation and grammar.

If you would like to hear how a specific word is pronounced there are plenty of sites that provide such a service, e.g. wiktionary

Posted by Mangotastic 3/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • One other thing, unlike English, Dutch pronunciation and spelling are very consistent.

Posted by Mangotastic 3/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you for this information! Would you recommend a special page?

Posted by Katjyes 5/6/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'll try and add Dutch audio, although I don't know yet when I have the time to do so.

About the "Most common words" ... Most Dutch frequency lists I've seen aren't too accurate. Dutch is my mother tongue and often I can just see what source(s) the compiler used, and that's not a good sign.

Mangotastic is right BTW, Dutch pronunciation and spelling are indeed quite consistent. Not as consistent as Spanish, but way more than English and French.

Posted by NRcG 5/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • I've been using http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to-speech-interactive-demo.html to get an idea of the pronounciation. Not as good as a native speaker I'd imagine, but their software is setup with a bunch of different options for Dutch voices.

@NRcG - Any suggestions for what might be a reasonable option to use for a list of frequent words - even if just in a specific area?

Posted by Dave114 5/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • www.forvo.com is my favorite audio pronunciation website, not just for dutch.

I just finished my Spring classes, so I will work hard on the "Dutch 2.0 beta" program over the summer.

If I can find someone to provide audio samples for the course as I create it, I definitely will, unless no one minds learning Dutch with a California accent ;)

Posted by kmelt1986 5/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • @Dave114 Well, it's still a computer, so unfortunately it's far from flawless. Forvo.com should be better indeed. You can also check where the uploader of the audio files is from.

I don't think there are any good frequency lists unfortunately, but perhaps this one's kinda useful if you're interested in spoken language: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/Dutch_wordlist? Always better than lists that use papers and magazines. The list isn't flawless either, but fortunately you can contact the Dutchies around here if you encounter any probs.

Posted by NRcG 6/10/12 (2 years ago)
  • @NRcG Agreed. I discovered that someone created a script to try to automate use of Forvo during Memrise. Currently it's setup for English words, but I may have to try to see if I can get it to work for Dutch as well (if I can find the time to do a little coding). (The script that I was talking about BTW is at http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/131078 )

Posted by Dave114 6/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • That's a cool script! Would be nice if it worked for Dutch. I just tried to record a couple of words in Audacity, but for some reason I keep sounding like I'm gargling or even drowning. Crappy quality, and it can't be the mic! Anyone got an idea what's up with that, and how I can solve this?

Posted by NRcG 6/13/12 (2 years ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity