-

Posted by None 3/15/12, last update 11/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • All the best for your quest for chinese. Check out skritter as well. you might find it even more addictive and fun.

Posted by sanri 4/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks! I did try skritter once some time ago, but maybe I'll look at it again. Not sure why I gave it up; Does it cost money?

Posted by dmheikin 4/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • yup 10 $ a month..

Posted by sanri 4/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ah! I think that is why I didn't pursue it.

Posted by dmheikin 4/20/12 (2 years ago)
  • I like your mems and it looks like you're learning some interesting courses. I'll check back to look more carefully some day. Rock on!

Posted by ThatHorse 4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks THatHorse!

Posted by dmheikin 4/27/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello from the UK! Thanks for adding me as a Mempal. Is it OK if I add you, too? Like you, I'm partly using Memrise to help keep my brain challenged but also to learn some Finnish. I introduced one of my nephews to Memrise a couple of weeks ago and he chose Mandarin as his first course. I'll recommend to him that he takes a look at your mems, because they look really good to me.

Posted by alanh 7/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi! Happy to have you as a mem pal. At first I wondered about it because you are not learning Mandarin, but the Finnish connection between us is there. My husband is of Finnish decent and we now live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan that has a strong Finnish history. Lots of people live here whose parents immigrated two and three generations ago to work in the minds but only long enough to earn money to buy farms.

Posted by dmheikin 7/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks! I've been lucky enough to have done some travelling in the States but never made it to Michigan, I'm afraid. The nearest I got was Illinois. Good luck with your Mandarin course. Alan

Posted by alanh 7/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • Had to smile! Nobody travels to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan by luck or accident! It's a bit out of the way, but well worth it. I love to see pictures of Scotland with the castles and horses in the prairie!

Posted by dmheikin 7/11/12 (2 years ago)
  • Looks like you're continuing to do amazing work, so many courses and mems! I am a fan!

Posted by ThatHorse 7/23/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks ThatHorse! Your comments are so encouraging, especially coming from someone who has done as well as you have!

Posted by dmheikin 7/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • Honestly I'm not sure who has done better. You are creating a ton of high quality mems and courses, which to me indicate really solid learning outside of Memrise as well. I would trade some points for the kinds of things you are doing any day. Guessing tones wrong all day may rack me up points, but I think I'm in a bit of a rut. :-)

Posted by ThatHorse 7/24/12 (2 years ago)
  • tones! ugh!

Posted by dmheikin 7/26/12 (1 year ago)
  • I've started to fix my tones by putting all my problem characters into separate courses and hitting those courses with typing pronunciation tests before doing my normal waterings. :-) Actually seems to get me more points.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/26/12 (1 year ago)
  • interesting tactic. I might try that. I've been trying to incorporate the numbers in my mems, but it's not working. I'm thinking the tones are an ear thing rather than an eye thing so I should play the sound more often. Trouble is I sometimes can't hear the tones either!

Posted by dmheikin 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hello from the UK! Hope you're keeping well. I think you must be, judging by your latest mems. They look pretty amazing. Maybe when (if) I crack Finnish, I'll take a look at Mandarin but I think that day is some way off yet. I'm still struggling with those tricky double letters in Finnish. They keep catching me out...... but I'm determined to beat them. :0)

Posted by alanh 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thanks alanh! I think I'm having too much fun making mems instead of practicing my Mandarin!

Posted by dmheikin 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • That's ok, it's meant to be fun! I enjoy hunting for images to support my mems, too. It's rewarding when you find one that fits. Keep up your good work. Bye.

Posted by alanh 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • I don't think making mems is ever a mistake. Those are the ones I remember most easily.

As far as tones go, I don't find it helpful to think about numbers (usually) either. I try to make up a reason for the tone that has to do with the meaning and the direction or visualization of the tone. The third tone is low, and round shaped or v shaped. It's slow too. The first tone is sing songy and like a robot. It's also high I guess but I don't usually think of that. The fourth tone is fast and squeaky, or fast and serious. The second tone is the one I often hear and say "really? that's the second tone?!" Although in theory (and usually) it's rising, kind of forceful like a faster higher third tone, forceful without being squeaky (compared to 4th). So I use these characteristics to make my pronunciation mems. If I fail a pronunciation spelling I open the word to edit and make sure I make a pronunciation mem for it later.

Posted by ThatHorse 7/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi mempal, thanks for the encouragement - really need it; it's like i'm getting worse as time goes on so i'm really surprised that apparently i'm doing good.....?

How's your learning coming along? Any tips for a beginner?

Posted by Vino 7/28/12 (1 year ago)
  • ThatHorse! You made the tones into real characters! I've noticed I tend to say the 4th tone in a much lower and more masculine pitch. The 3rd tone used to be so easy to hear but now it seems the speakers are slurring over it so that I can't detect the up and down. Takes a lot of concentration to hear them. But we keep on keeping on.

Posted by dmheikin 7/29/12 (1 year ago)
  • no, italian isn't my mother-tongue but it's on my list; Latin is mother to romance languages. language shapes our thoughts and thanks to memrise i get to realise a lifelong dream of speaking as many languages as i can. i think arabic is next....:P

what about you? do you speak other languages?

Posted by Vino 7/31/12 (1 year ago)
  • Vino--I took two years of Latin in high school more than 50 years ago and I still recognize Latin roots in words, though I'm never sure how useful it's been to me. I passed a reading comprehension test for French but its been so long I'll need to brush up. I'm surprised at how many people like you are learning more than one language. Maybe I should add French courses to my Chinese? What's funny is that when trying to remember a Chinese word in a quiz, French words will occur to me and I have to actually wave my hand to try to brush them away so I can find the Chinese word! Good luck with your language learning.

Posted by dmheikin 8/2/12 (1 year ago)
  • i used to have the same problem mixing up languages but i think that's cos i didnt have a good foundation - just random words. i'm hoping latin's declensions will clinch french, italian and spanish in that regard; 2 years of high school and at least you still know the roots, so i'd say it's stood you in good stead. i'm going really slow with latin - concentrating on mandarin but french and latin take the edge off ever since i decided to focus on chinese - it's nice to be able to recognize something after hieroglyphs. btw, i'm cramming as much as poss so i can get to your courses of stories. brilliant idea. thank you for that.

Posted by Vino 8/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • 这 是 吗 了。 但 是 谢 谢。

Posted by Vino 8/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • 你好! Thanks for being my mempal. I love your mems. It's inspiring me to make better ones. ( Although my own are quite lewd - that's why they work for me - so I'm very cautious about sharing them!)

Posted by Funkman 9/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • Whatever works! I noticed you joined memrise after reading Moonwalking with Einstein. I read that book in the hope I could apply it to learning Chinese. At first I was disappointed because it seemed to be related only to remembering strings of numbers with no purpose. Then I stumbled onto Memrise somehow and was surprised to see Ed Cooke's name. It was then that I realized the book actually has many applications! Good luck!

Posted by dmheikin 9/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • i disagree only because the means does not justify the ends; why would someone want to train themselves into perversion? i'm sure you are aware of the 10,000hr rule? i get that people are competitive; i just question the inevitable issue of compromising oneself and possibly others. the whole world speaks at least one language and have done so for countless years without having to cram crass info in order to do so. so now you remember stuff but you also have a lot of junk attached to it. that said, you are your own litmus test, and you're going to have to float your own boat; i sermonize because i care and because you yourself noted your caution about sharing. memrise works because of the awesome mems like Denise's - giving a story/image. the lewd stuff is hard to share....

Posted by Vino 9/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • Vino, Thanks for this comment. I was perhaps too flippant about saying whatever works, and maybe some mems should not be shared. But I think mems that may qualify as offensive are not really good mems because they are too distracting from the purpose. I'm thinking of one mem in particular that is an entire music video about a word I don't recall. Very distracting so I ignore it. On the other hand some may think my image of the Picasso portrait of a woman--though famous and actually "tame"--might offend a minority of people. If so, they can ignore it. But your caution is good to keep in mind.

Posted by dmheikin 9/11/12 (1 year ago)
  • Denise, what a relief - was feeling like a sanctimonious troll!!! But like you say, 'they can ignore it.' The issue really is the idea that novelty grabs attention but as you pointed out, it can also turn us off; perhaps attention grabbing is not the way rather attention paying as in mindfulness, which i keep trying to remember ;) The main thing about language is it sticks because it is used.

Found a really cool saying that we can substitute mem for book....书是随时携带的花园. sorry about the bad chinese in previous post - had just figured out how to type in chinese and got carried away。。。。您 好?

Posted by Vino 9/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hey, I'm glad to have helped. Thanks for all your hard work on translations :)

Posted by Alec 10/8/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi, mostly because I don't have enough time, :(

Posted by DoloresK 11/3/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi Dolores, I know what you mean! I don't practice nearly enough myself.

I asked because I thought something might be wrong with memrise.

Posted by dmheikin 11/3/12 (1 year ago)

Recent threads

This forum doesn't have any recent activity