New app in the works

Memrise 1.0 is now live for everyone to use, and it is working very sweetly indeed! The next step is to give everyone the option to transfer over their learning history, which we will do over the next week.

Among the advantages of the new site is its much more efficient data structure, which has made it faster and more stable than the beta site. However this causes an issue because the Memrise beta iphone app was not designed to synch with this new data structure. So we have a choice over how to deal with that: we can adapt the iphone app to fit with the new site, not completely, but at least to keep it alive, or we can start again from scratch and build a new app for the new site.

We have thought very hard about this, but after much discussion we have decided that we need to apply all the lessons that we have learned by starting again on a new app.

There are a few reasons for this, but the most important is the cold hard fact that in spite of all the hard work we have put in to that app, when it comes to a final assessment of it, we are simply not happy that it is good enough to make huge efforts to keep supporting as we move forward. We made certain decisions during the development process that shaped the app in a certain direction. The end result is an app that doesn't reach the heights of what we believe is possible in a mobile learning app.

The good news is that we have learned a huge amount about the mobile learning experience, have amassed a vast store of data about how people learn on their mobiles, and have gained a deep understanding of all the shortfalls of our previous decisions. We can do much better, and that is what we are doing.

We will have a first, bite-sized little gem of an app out before Christmas, which will be light-weight beginner's language learning app that is already looking sensational. After that we will be releasing several more apps in fairly quick succession.

I am really sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause to some of you, but I can only offer my sincere belief that this is the fastest route to getting a mobile learning experience that will be a genuine delight.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/12/12, last update 11/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi Ben,

Any news on an Android app?

Posted by davidchristiansen 11/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Are there any plans for a windows 8 app?

Eg live tile with wilting words count could be really helpful.

Posted by Ildera 11/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Best of luck!

Posted by bpbatch 11/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thank you so much for your work. This site is truly changing lives. Can't wait to see the future.

Posted by nalipp02 11/12/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'd also love to see an Android app.

Posted by kilian.evang 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Great news! Best wishes!

(I too hope to see you guys on Android someday.)

Posted by MaryPoppins 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • would love to see an android app!

Posted by chrismarx85 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • cough Android app

Posted by fraser.g.maclean 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Can we get a Windows Phone 8/Windows 8 App? The live tiles could show what words need to be watered. Awesome site.

Posted by ivgutier 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Thank you so much for considering updating the app! I am such a fan of Memrise, but the current iPhone app is a nuisance. It simply does not work well, crashes all the time or freezes.

What ever you are planning to do, please include the option of adding multiple courses or training programs to the app. Am I too greedy?

Please let me add one thing. Last week I thought: "These guys should charge me for what I am getting here. But with that crappy app? Never!" So ... :-)

Posted by RZK 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • bravo

Posted by etraff 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Make it available through the uk itunes store please!!!

Posted by mrsjess 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • If you're reimplementing from scratch, please consider doing some using an SDK that allows you to build both Android and iPhone apps from the same codebase.

(If not, consider that Android phones make up the vast majority of phones shipped - about 75% of current phones sold recently vs. 15% for the iPhone - http://www.androidcentral.com/75-percent-phones-shipped-q3-ran-android

Posted by Dave114 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • i have the old version on the compute and my friend has the new version. and the same computer. i did everything i told it to do even download. me

Posted by LelĂȘ_GM 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • I fully agree - a native app, from the ground up. I hate to increase the wait, but I certainly believe this is the right direction. No compromises. Memrise content is very unique and needs to be presented in the best, most useful way. I believe your approach is the best one to achieve that. Best of luck!

Posted by radiator 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • How about using Xamarin's stuff to run/crosscompile CLI code and make ONE application for Android, iOS and Windows?

All 'ya need to exchange are the UI methods, and those are fairly consistent for the Android runtime and iWhatnot cross-compile. Windows should be even easier, since it's the native platform there.

Just saying, platform dependent backends are not really state of the art.

Posted by Vandroiy 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • What Device_A said. Would even PAY for the app!

Posted by greaterthan 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • 3 words: android app please

Posted by Burnaron 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • As a developer myself I totally agree with the decision to start fresh, much better option. But I would just add: ANNNDDDRRROOIIDD please!

Posted by mrw13 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hi Ben! I fully agree aswell. I think the extra wait will be heavily out-weighted by the improved user experience a full-flegded app will yield. Put in economic terms: Your choice maximizes utility!

PS: Remember that android has a bigger marketshare than iOS ;)

Posted by Grizzler 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Please make it compatible with iOS 4.2!

Posted by zeme 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Congratulation and I wish you the best things ever!!! I am longing for the new app!! Have an excellent day!

Posted by jayefes65 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Not to beat a dead horse but... Android App please! I just don't understand why the smaller iPhone consumer base is getting all the love when there's so many more androids out there.

Posted by jeff.cusack 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hire me, I'll develop the app for both iPhone/Android using the titanium framework :-)

Memrise is truly awesome after some try.

Posted by thomas.bullier 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • I would also be keen for an android app.

Posted by ScottON 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • As the new nexus line was released today the amount of people using android devices is likely to jump. They sold out within an hour.

Posted by ScottON 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • +1 for Android!

Posted by brastein 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • are you making an android app?

Posted by sethjensen 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android. :)

Posted by AndrewRGordon 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android!

Posted by Gigadros 11/13/12 (1 year ago)
  • If you really wanted to make a certain iphone owner happy you could fix the longstanding bug where memrise audio pauses any music that you're listening to ;)

I think starting over is definitely the best idea. Personally, I don't think I'll use any app because it'll never be as full featured, but it can improve a lot.

Posted by Robodl95 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android would be amazing :)!

Posted by Nostalgie 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android FTW!!!!

Posted by gaijinboricua 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • Needs Android.

Also, where's the support for people being automatically redirected from /hom/ to /beta/home/? I'm not the only person having this issue, yet as far as I know, we're getting no response about it...

Posted by NinKenDo 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android?

Posted by marieve.lapierre 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • android app would be so appreciated! memrise has helped with french vocab in ways i can't explain, and if i was able to take it with me, i'd be so grateful.

Posted by jesseacrasia 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • android app would be so appreciated! memrise has helped with french vocab in ways i can't explain, and if i was able to take it with me, i'd be so grateful.

• how about an API - then the community can make the apps too!

Posted by thedannywahl 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • how about an API - then the community can make the apps too!

Posted by thedannywahl 11/14/12 (1 year ago)

• "Memrise 1.0 is now live for everyone to use" I'm still on the beta website, how can I go to 1.0?

Posted by FalconKrunch 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • I would be keen for android

Posted by Tinei 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • This will be great when I can transfer my libraries over :D

Posted by Gillettecavalcad3 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • A large number of users on the beta sight cannot use Memrise at the moment. Lots of reports on bugs page, all with the same program. Whatever we do we are directed to the same page making a point about Chinese punctuation. Can we have some --- any! --- response, please

Posted by andreseib 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • +1 Android

Posted by 2ndTymeAround 11/14/12 (1 year ago)
  • This is good news indeed, the current iOS app is terrible. Looking forward to improvements!

Posted by swedeenz 11/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • Wtf is happening with errors on site plz?

Posted by philipbolt 11/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • I think You really shouldn't ignore the Android market. Best wishes.

Posted by Eswemenasja 11/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • Why not open up the API? There would be tons of people having a go at writing apps for all the platforms. This is an excellent system, there would be plenty of takers.

Posted by vlad259 11/15/12 (1 year ago)
  • I'll add my name to the list for those wanting an Android app, and considering I live in Korea, with the patent/legal disputes involving Samsung(Korea) and Apple we may see fewer and fewer Apple products here... There's already a ban on the Iphone 5^^

Posted by nate44 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Look forward to new app. Did transfer from app to website, which was fine. Really like using memrise, great way of learning.

Posted by _deleted_140108_1428_43 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • At this stage I refuse to believe there will ever be an Android app. There was talk of one months upon months ago and nary a peep since. It sucks too, because the lack of an Android app is the exact thing that led to my eventually neglecting this place for Anki, which is a shame because Memrise is clearly superior, it's just inconvenient as hell to only be able to use the website.

Posted by bradrapstars 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Please mail me when the new app is ready, I look forward to it, and btw willing to pay for it (not too much of course ;-)

Posted by Borgts 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • May I add my vote for an Android app too?

Loving Memrise, thanks for a fun new hobby and thanks too to my kids for introducing me to the world of Mems.

Posted by Emergency_Tomato 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Would love to have an Android app too. Memrise is such a great way to learn languages and it would be great to have this on my phone as well, because the website doesn't work that good on a smaller screen. I add my vote for Android.

Keep up the good work Memrise!

Posted by MarkFokkema 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • Keep the good work, you are doing amazing with the website. But don't close yourself to the android market please.

Posted by rosset.loic 11/16/12 (1 year ago)
  • i hope they finish soon the transfer to v1.0 and have some time to take care of the forum.

it is totally sad how many feedbacks, bugs and requests seem to be ignorred

Posted by tobicitas 11/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • Not available at the ITunes Store. Are planning to release it globally?

Posted by stratos1 11/17/12 (1 year ago)
  • android pleasseee!!

Posted by lalafiggy 11/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • please make available on the Irish Itunes store too!

Posted by cotterbrian81 11/18/12 (1 year ago)
  • android pls!

Posted by jedruch 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • android pls!

Posted by jedruch 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Good Works, Best Wishes

Posted by MRFS 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Gooooooooood luck benny! PIE PIE PIE PIE

Posted by 10zjermy 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Best of luck. I think memrise is awesome and so innovative.
    I got my daughter on it yesterday too and it was amazing to see how fast she was learning a new language.

Posted by jpwelch 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • I used to love memrise so much for learning new vocab, but the app was just so slow to use and its so much easier to get out your phone or ipad for a bit of quick revision than your computer. Compared to the Skritter app which is almost perfect. I spend at least one hour per day using my skritter app. If the memrise app was half as good I might be using that instead, or at least be using in addition.

Posted by bjnsharp 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • android please

Posted by MrHoneyfoot 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Everybody waants an Android app, yo!

Posted by scceaduwe 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • I know a really innovative idea. It's going to be earth shattering...An Android app.

Posted by michael.roy.7509 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Just to add another voice: please, there are so many technologies now to make it easy to cross-compile iOS and Android apps. It just makes no sense to either just do one, or to have to do twice the work to do them both. And yes, as the voices above attest, the Android market share is currently over four times the size of iOS...

Posted by SamSam 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android.

Posted by thustle 11/19/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android :)

Posted by thomas.ahle 11/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • Android, please!

Posted by PedroDoCouto 11/21/12 (1 year ago)
  • I don't think that enough attention has been brought to this post regarding the desire for an Android app. Pretty sad that the Android users have been so quiet here.

Posted by bpbatch 11/21/12 (1 year ago)