Editing and content creation paused on beta site

We are speeding forward with the transfer of all learning histories to the new Memrise 1.0 site. We have completed the first stage of this by moving over all of the course data to the new site. Now that this is done, we have frozen the creation of new courses on the beta site, because nothing new will be moved over to the new site, and we don't want any one's efforts to be wasted.

If you would like to test out Memrise 1.0, please go to www.memrise.com and pick a course to try - once you have started a course on Memrise 1.0 it will stop re-directing you to the beta site by default. You will still be able to access the beta site at any time by going to http://memrise.com/beta/home

If you would like to dive straight in and create a new course on Memrise 1.0, please do head here http://memrise.com/course/create/ and get cracking!

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if the course creation manual on Memrise 1.0 doesn't yet have instructions for a use-case that fits your needs - I will add new instructions for you right away.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/12/12, last update 11/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • It works great, but can you transfer my course to the new version:

http://www.memrise.com/set/10042848/arabski-msa-01/

?

Posted by _deleted_121220_1326_13 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ben, when you say that all of the course data has been moved over to the new site, how is it that I'm still missing three of the courses I created when I click on the "Courses created" link on my home page? Maybe I misunderstood and you are still in the process of moving over? Anyhow, I hope nothing gets lost because some courses (like Spanish or Thai) I've been building on for months..

Thanks for clarifying

Posted by BlueRock68 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • one of my fav courses is missing still too>

http://www.memrise.com/set/10050837/my-random-korean-words/

Posted by tobicitas 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • I wanted to add to one of my old courses, but after noticing that the edit course option is gone on the beta site, I proceeded to try and add to the same course on the new site. I'm having issues with the bulk add. I have a list of probably 4000 words I wanted to add to my old list which totaled 1534 words. I copied and pasted in 100 word blocks on the database page and I think it worked in the beginning but now it won't add anymore. Is there a limit to database length, or is this also not working right now....or is the problem on my end?

Now I vent some of my frustrations: I think better options need to be added for dealing with long lists. For example, a search feature, and first page, last page links (I've sat clicking next through 57 pages 3 times now...). I think a way to see all the words in one place, whether by download or in a long list is needed. I can't tell if duplicates are being added and after hitting "add" I can't tell if anything is happening.

Finally, I can't tell if the level creation page is buggy or my frustration manifested but after changing the level word count to 50 words per level, random non-sequential levels still kept popping up with 15 words in them. So after clicking delete through about a thousand levels, I'd really appreciate a "delete all levels" option.

Posted by Pudloj 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • What's going on. memrise beta just displays a message about chinese no pronunciation regardless of whether I try to water existing plants or plant new seeds and regardless of which course.

Posted by carrera 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • What I'd like to know is, will all Beta courses, and all our progress, be carried over to the new site? Or will we have to start from scratch?

Posted by DarthBrandon 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • DarthBrandon,

"We are speeding forward with the transfer of all learning histories to the new Memrise 1.0 site."

This means you will not have to start from scratch, but you will have to wait a while for your progress to be carried over to the new site.

Posted by phantoap 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Sorry for not being clearer - we have transferred over all of the courses, but we haven't yet linked them up with your individual learning history. That means that we also haven't published all of them on the browse pags of the site. The structure of the courses in the new site is very different to the old site, so although you can learn the old courses on the new site, you can also do a lot to tailor the courses on the new site to make them even better. We are keen to only publish the best courses on the initial browse page, or at least the courses that people really want to publish; rather than, for example, personal lists that you just want to learn for yourself, and don't want to share with everyone else.

The learning history transfer will come over the next wek or so.

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Were all courses transfered to the new site? Cause I cannot find my course up there : (

Posted by el.savinova 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Would you also be able to add this, I've asked quite a few times but it must keep getting lost..

http://www.memrise.com/set/10028791/words-from-manee-and-friends/

Posted by amyhere 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • UPD: And somehow I always get redirected to beta site.

Posted by el.savinova 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • As carrera said above, the old (beta) site doesn't seem to work (at least not for learning). Is that intentional (i.e. can I not use memrise until the learning history has been transferred)? It's just that the JLPT N5 test is on DEC-2 and I'm not sure I've got time to start the course again from scratch. Plus if I do start again, presumably either my old history or my new history will vanish at some point in the new future?

Please could someone clarify what's expected to happen and when and what I should do in the meantime?

Thanks

Posted by antonioc 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Having trouble viewing content (on new site) on my Mac. Was able to see it on my other computer (work), which was a PC. Tried Safari and Chrome, same issue.

Posted by bethimar 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • A few issues on the new site:

1.) German is not listed under European languages, I had to search for it.

2.) I am having issues with both Chinese (1st 500 Mandarin Words) and German (87% Most Used) loading. I am using Google Chrome on a Windows 7 machine. I let the Chinese list load for several minutes with no success past the 'loading' page. I had the same problem on my android phone, although the courses do work better on there than the previous version did.

3.) In trying to edit my course Deustche Wirtschaftsgeographie Vokabeln, none of the buttons are functioning (i.e. Show/Hide, Databases, etc). Ideally, I would like to edit the course levels myself to coordinate with the lists I am adding.

4.) Is there going to be a maximum number of words added? Each "level" has about 125-150 words, so I could split it up further if necessary. I just would like to know before I plan out the edits and make the lists public again.

Posted by lovesasa 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • Update: Same issues on a different machine running Windows 7 Professional, using Firefox.

Just to clarify, I was trying to edit Deustche Wirtschaftsgeographie Vokabeln on the new site.

I have a full excel file ready to upload of new vocabulary, but I want to get the levels/editing issue sorted out rather than create a new class.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Posted by lovesasa 11/12/12 (2 years ago)
  • "If you would like to test out Memrise 1.0, please go to www.memrise.com and pick a course to try - once you have started a course on Memrise 1.0 it will stop re-directing you to the beta site by default."

Has anynone managed to do this? I started a new course on memrise.com without loggging on, and paused it. It doesn't work for me. If I login via facebook, it redirects me to the beta site. If I provide the username, email and password, it complains that my username already exists (as it seems to be trying to create a new account).

Posted by nandemo 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ben, I really do hope that you've had a look at the feedback forum (http://www.memrise.com/forum/Memrise-1-first-release-feedback/) recently. The general consensus seems to be that learning is slowed down by tracking everything by levels instead of by individual "flowers". I know that the team is really good at quickly trying out changes, so hopefully you can get this worked out before or soon after the new version launches.

Posted by orangewiz 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello,

I'm having these issues too : - can't find many of the courses that were available on beta version (even with the search tool) - can't add bulk lists of words (it was the main reason I was looking forward to the new site, and it won't work :-/)

Posted by Natacha 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Just a new precision : bulk adding works, but only for the first three fields...and I don't really feel too inclined to type in the next 3 X 700 entries :-(

Posted by Natacha 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • @nandemo,

Apologies for not being clear - when you are logged in to the beta site, go to www.memrise.com, and then start a course. That will then let the site know that you want to be trying the new site, and then it will stop re-directly your account to the beta site.

I will answer the other comments in about an hour or so - sorry, I just have to run to a meeting,

best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben,

When I went to the 1.0 site and completed a course for the first time, it asked me to register even though I was logged in with my old account. Then when I logged out and back in on the 1.0 site I was redirected to the beta site. I'm not sure that redirection is working.

Kind Regards,

Rachel

Posted by kikiwitch 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • @Ben, You said above that all the courses have now been transferred to the new site. There are two that I have been learning for a long time on the Beta site that I still can't see in the list of courses on the new site. They are http://www.memrise.com/set/10017175/world-geography-2/ and http://www.memrise.com/set/10009206/sheep/

Will these become available on the new site?

Thanks.

Posted by alanh 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • I´m just relieved you´re leaving the beta site up until v1. works 100%! Thank you!

Posted by RabbitWho 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben, I appreciate all your work getting things better for the learning community. I was wondering when the beta site will be closed down? Before that happens, will the function of adding new words to lists be restored, or will we have to wait for the new site to be operational before we can add words to current lists?

Posted by schrodi 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ok, I configured my course as a "public" and is now visible in the new version. But I have two questions about the topics / subcategories: - how to create a new topic? - the course must belong to a sub-category? For example, I can assign my course to the category "Modern Standard Arabic" but not simply to "Arabic"

Posted by _deleted_121220_1326_13 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • but the beta site is better than v1!????

Posted by timRAR 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Fifteen hours ago, Carrera wrote: "What's going on. memrise beta just displays a message about chinese no pronunciation regardless of whether I try to water existing plants or plant new seeds and regardless of which course." There dhas been no reply and it's still happening to me

Posted by jlw 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • I've got the same issue both with Chrome and Firefox. It's been posted about in a different thread, so either it's a bug being ironed out or it has something to do with the information transfer :)

Posted by stig.sydtangen 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben, I've been editing and studying a course in the new memrise that I had started creating on the old site. So now I have two learning histories for the same course, one in beta and one in 1.0. Will they merge when you transfer the learning history?

So far I'm in love with the new memrise, thanks for all your work.

Posted by Lancelet 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thanks for your work. Hope you transfer the ESTONIAN courses to the 1.0...

Posted by dancen 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • There are no Scottish Gaelic courses on the new site yet. There are three rudimentary courses listed under 'Scots' - this is a cringe-worthy error, as Scots is a dialect and has nothing at all to do with Gaelic, which is a seperate language. It's like listing Basque under 'Spanish'.

I'm already grieving for the old site and it hasn't even gone yet. This is because the 'levels' system on the new site is just counterproductive and unusable for me. The old system was basically perfect and I'm genuinely really confused as to why anyone would think this new way is better - the rigid levels system seems against the spirit of memrise somehow. It won't let me type new words I'm learning, which means that by the time I harvest them I really don't know them very well at all.

Posted by aingeal 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Upload the Kazakh courses please! Thanks!

Posted by democide 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Where have all the examples gone?

Also I don't think user avatars (especially animated ones) should be displayed while planting.

Posted by Cirno 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • I am new to memrise, but found that I had inadvertently started courses on both sites. I was under the impression that the beta site (brilliant learning tool) was the new version, since the v1 has a much inferior learning platform. I simply do not have time to learn 25 new words at a time and there appears to be little feeback or reinforcement on the v1 site unless you are preparec to plough through 25 words. The Italian words are in alphabetical order which makes it even more tedious! I have started 6 courses on the beta site which are excellent; hopefully you will add the functionality from beta to v1?

Posted by Lwb 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • None of my courses (all in Xhosa) seem to be on the new site, and my daughter's Afrikaans course is also not available. maybe these are not popular courses yet but they are invaluable to me and s other Africans get to know about this great resource I'm sure they will get more popular and better quality. Please please don't remove course you perceive to be low quality when there it's nothing better available. We have 9 official languages in my country and i want to learn all of them. This it's so far the only decent online resource I've come across.

Posted by rmepointer 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • None of my courses (all in Xhosa) seem to be on the new site, and my daughter's Afrikaans course is also not available. maybe these are not popular courses yet but they are invaluable to me and s other Africans get to know about this great resource I'm sure they will get more popular and better quality. Please please don't remove course you perceive to be low quality when there it's nothing better available. We have 9 official languages in my country and i want to learn all of them. This it's so far the only decent online resource I've come across.

• None of my courses (all in Xhosa) seem to be on the new site, and my daughter's Afrikaans course is also not available. maybe these are not popular courses yet but they are invaluable to me and s other Africans get to know about this great resource I'm sure they will get more popular and better quality. Please please don't remove course you perceive to be low quality when there is nothing better.

• None of my courses (all in Xhosa) seem to be on the new site, and my daughter's Afrikaans course is also not available. maybe these are not popular courses yet but they are invaluable to me and s other Africans get to know about this great resource I'm sure they will get more popular and better quality.

• None of my courses (all in Xhosa) seem to be on the new site, and my daughter's Afrikaans course is also not available. maybe these are not popular courses yet but they are invaluable to me and s other Africans get to know about this great resource I'm sure they will get more popular and better quality. Please please don't remove course you perceive to be low quality when there is nothing better.

• None of my courses (all in Xhosa) seem to be on the new site, and my daughter's Afrikaans course is also not available. maybe these are not popular courses yet but they are invaluable to me and s other Africans get to know about this great resource I'm sure they will get more popular and better quality.

• Ben wrote 'we have transferred over all of the courses, but we haven't yet linked them up with your individual learning history. That means that we also haven't published all of them on the browse pags of the site.'

I guess that means everything is there on v1 (even if we can't yet see it ) but is not yet functional ,but will be soon......or soonish :-)

I found beta was working fine this evening (except for adding new words to a list)and the new link http://memrise.com/beta/home does work

Posted by tonyyyy 11/13/12 (2 years ago)
  • Update: Both German and Chinese courses now successfully load. However, another problem:

On the Chinese course (First 500 Characters), the roman characters (pinyin) do not show up beside the Chinese character, even in the description section. This is very unfortunate, because one of the most helpful parts of the beta version of Memrise was that it tested you on both the character and the pinyin (including intonation) throughout the course.

Is this a bug or just the new way these courses are set up? I'm hoping this can be remedied.

I also seem to be able to access and edit my course, though I don't see an option for uploading the excel spreadsheet for bulk words, only a list. Is this the only way to add bulk lists now?

Thank you!

Posted by lovesasa 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • When I try to create a new course (after I fill in the info and click create course) it says forbidden. What should I do ?

Posted by knjigofil 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • @knjigofil which site are you trying to create the course on? Could you send me the url that you are going to?

Best wishes

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben, Memrise beta was great, I was finally increasing my Indonesian vocabulary and was very happy. Now on version 1 I can only find one Indonesian course and beta no longer works for me, I too get the 'Chinese no pronunciation' page whatever I do. My learning has stopped and I am very nervous that this excellent resource will vanish. Please reassure myself and many others that version 1 will work as well as the beta version.

Posted by Javajohn 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I've only just started using Memrise, and have worked my way through the Mandarin Reading course on the beta site. It is excellent.

I have just started doing a couple of courses on the v1 site and agree with the comments above that the level system is inferior to the system used on the beta site. Until I read this thread I had thought the beta site was the new site. I've used many flash card systems before and found Memrise (beta) to be the best thought out and most usable system so far; version 1 is a vast step backwards. Learning vocabulary in 25 word chunks seems completely unnecessary, and counter-productive. If similar words are in different chunks there is never a strong test that they can be distinguished. It also relies on having time to study twenty-five words at a time.

The old system where you could learn words in smaller chunks, and all the words ended up in the same 'garden' once learnt is much better.

Posted by goodale 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Dear Ben,

In Norwegian language courses there is no option "for Lithuanian speakers" - but it should be, because i created it.

Posted by zrelskyte 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi Ben I was just going to wait until the dust settled as I have gone through system changes a couple of times at work and have an idea what you are going through... Anyhoo, just for info.

Beta whatever I click ends in "Ranking: 4180th points No pronunciation

This character does not occur by itself in modern Chinese, and so it no longer has a pronunciation. It's important to learn the character because it still appears as a component in many combination characters." None of the Beta Welsh courses available on 1.0 Daliwch ati ;)

Cheers Dave

Posted by DaveD1000 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I can't see any Cornish courses on the v1 site - can you explain what's happening with existing courses and how they're being transferred to v1?

Posted by ibecks 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hmm. Kind of falling between two stools here painfully. I was doing great with the 1,000 word Italian course but now can't access it. The interruption could be fatal to the learning process! Not impressed with Memrise 1.0. Not keen on the interface and soooooo slow to load.

Posted by rachael.bermingham 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I can't water anything on the beta site at the moment. I get the same message as DaveD1000 about the Chinese character.

Posted by Jeane 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I can't water anything on the beta site at the moment. I get the same message as DaveD1000 about the Chinese character.

Posted by Jeane 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi,

You say that the courses have been transferred over, but I can't find any of the Na'vi courses on the V1 site. I've tried going to www.memrise.com/courses/english/ (which is where the 'courses' link takes me) and typing into the search box "Na'vi" or "Navi" or "adpositions" (there's a "Na'vi adpositions" course on the beta site as well as a "leNa'vi" course). None of these are coming up. Are you sure you have transferred all the courses off the beta site?

I know the guy who had taken over the "leNa'vi" course maintanence has ended up creating a whole new course somewhere on the v1 site, presumably because he also can't find it...

Am I wasting my time with the beta site? If the courses are not going to be transferred over, it seems I am, because my history so far will be lost if the courses no longer exist.

Looking forward to a positive reply...

Thanks.

(PS, the cave waypoint on the beta site is messing up for me; it's not always giving the 'plants' which were watered in the previous session.)

Posted by Tsyalatun 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Seems like courses have been transferred, but they're unlisted. Course creator can change status to public.

Posted by Cirno 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Beta site is better than V1 so far:

1. On V1, when there are 8 options to choose from in a quiz, the bottom two are off the bottom of my screen. This is pretty annoying
    2. The set-up using levels needs some serious work. This thing of putting scrambled versions of the right answer in when there are fewer than 8 words in a group is a terrible idea because (i) it gives away what the answer is -- it's the one of which there are scrambled versions; and (ii) it turns the quiz into a challenge of spotting the unscrambled version quickly -- not useful for language learning.

Absolutely love Memrise though, thanks guys. If I get a first in my exams I owe you a drink.

Posted by james.hutton1 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • Also have a problem with editing courses: it'd be really helpful if you can drag an entry between levels, to allow you to play around with different groupings / level sizes. As it is I'm having to do a lot of typing to make up for bad choices of level size.

• I also really liked the whole "gardens" set-up of the Beta and the growing flower visuals were also great. Bring them back!!

• I created a large Swahili course on the new site, so I could continue with the words I was chipping away at, and it worked fine with large levels of 50. I broke them down to 20, however, to make them a little easier to swallow, and now they list as completed when you finish one learning session. They still work the same and you still have to finish all of the sessions, but the progress bar is at 100% after only one session.

Posted by Solidmercury 11/14/12 (2 years ago)
  • I agree with james.hutton1. When doing http://www.memrise.com/course/1074/animals-in-chinese/ I ran into this issue a lot. Of the 6 options it provided me for 猴子 three were "monkey", "moneky" "mnokey" or something along those lines. For 河马, it gave me both "hippo" and "hippopotamus" as options and marked me wrong for choosing "hippo". 狐狸 gave me "Fox" and "fox".

I'm not sure if that is a memrise software issue or an issue the course creator caused. Either way, there is nothing to report the issue on the page with the word or on the course homepage.

Posted by JMV290 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Is it possible to ignore words on the new site?

Posted by Fronika 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi

where have all the Indonesian courses gone? Just one left ...

Posted by brightwriting 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi

where have all the Indonesian courses gone? Just one left ...

Posted by brightwriting 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • New to Memrise. It is fantastic. Nepali seems not to be on the new site and no longer works on beta. Any thoughts? My plants are dying!!

Posted by DanMunday 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • New to Memrise. It is fantastic. Nepali seems not to be on the new site and no longer works on beta. Any thoughts? My plants are dying!!

• Is the garden concept being completely abandoned in V1? I think that's a really bad idea. I consider it a very important part of the motivation/game process. It's kind of like those Tamagotchi "digital pets" from the 90's... they weren't real, but if you had one and didn't feed or play with it you felt so guilty! I need that pressure of feeling guilty if I let my plants die, and the sense of accomplishment if I nurture my short-term memory sprouts well enough to move them into my long-term memory garden. If there are no plants and no garden, most of the fun and motivation are gone.

Posted by Tapilou 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Is the garden concept being completely abandoned in V1? I think that's a really bad idea. I consider it a very important part of the motivation/game process. It's kind of like those Tamagotchi "digital pets" from the 90's... they weren't real, but if you had one and didn't feed or play with it you felt so guilty! I need that pressure of feeling guilty if I let my plants die, and the sense of accomplishment if I nurture my short-term memory sprouts well enough to move them into my long-term memory garden. If there are no plants and no garden, most of the fun and motivation are gone.

Posted by Tapilou 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I love memrise. I take good care if my plants.

Posted by Ace-cream 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I dont like Memrise 1.0

Posted by openmindworld 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I COMPLETELY agree with Tapilou. The garden concept was brilliant, without it, everything sorta falls aparts. I don't like Memrise 1.0 because I have to learn bigger packs of words, I can't get track of them individually, I can't practice them all at once (as in different lessons alltogether), plants have fewer stages, and once they're flowered, they don't need watering. I loved Memrise, and now it's like any other language learning website, messy and inefficient :(

Posted by Clorinde 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'd like to reiterate what Fronika said above - the new site doesn't seem to let you ignore words.

According to User Guide 1.0 there should be a bar at the top that you can mouse over to edit, ignore, etc. but I haven't been able to see it. I thought it might have been a browser issue, but no luck in Chrome or Firefox.

Perhaps just an interim issue?

Posted by Mikanosuke 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • I'm sorry that you are having this trouble with the new site - I just wanted to emphasise though that you don't need to learn words in bigger chunks on the new site. There were default level sizes of 25 words set for the first courses that were imported. That was clearly too large for most people. The courses that have been transferred over with your learning history have levels of 15 words - hopefully that will be more generally manageable.

But the key point is that the new site is totally flexible. The course creator (and that can be anyone at all) can choose the number of words in each level. Then, because the course is divided into levels, you can choose the order that you want to learn words in, you don't have to just work through them in the order they come up as you did in the beta site. And when you want to revise, you can choose either to water only the wilting words across all the levels, or you can choose to focus on particular levels if you feel that they need attention.

When you say that you can't practice different lessons together, do you mean different levels within a course, or that you would like to be able to water different courses all at once?

I'm sorry that the flowers aren't there yet on the 1.0 site - we have got some much more glorious flowers on the way, that you will be able to watch grow in a more delightful way. These will take a little while longer to get fully tested and live on the site, but they are in the works.

Best wishes,

Ben

Posted by BenWhately Staff   11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • What's the status on the learning history, is it supposed to have been transfered over now?

Will I have to manually re-add the courses or will they appear on my profile when 1.0 is ready for use?

Will the community things (for example this thread) persist through to the new version?

Will you re-add total words learned and points gained to the profile in 1.0?

Sorry if I sound entitled from bombarding you with questions, I am simply curious about these changes and very grateful for what memrise has done so far.

Posted by adeny 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • So far I'm generally liking the new site. However, I have one MAJOR request - although I like the levels idea, I think it should be possible for us to CHOOSE how many words to learn at a time. For example, we could choose to only 5 words in the level at once, and then go back later and learn the rest. 15 is definitely too big for busy students like me... one reason I love Memrise is because I can easily learn just 5 words every day or two and not have to remember too many throughout the day. Also, different people use the same courses for different reasons, so flexibility in the number of words we are able to learn at once is essential. I understand this may not be a quick change, but I hope that the Memrise team can make this an option in the future as I think it will greatly enhance the usability of the site.

Posted by SkySkySkylar 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Ben, I think Clorinde means that even if you learn a word in one course it won't be planted in any other courses and then you have to do it over for every course at the moment. I have tested it with the two color courses in Italian, I made them with identical fist levels but the words was only planted and flowered in one of the courses. This didn't happen on the beta unless someone had made a duplicate wiki entry.

I think this might be one of the reasons so many wants the ignore function back so badly. I would not like to have to learn the same words over and over each time I found a new course I want to take.

@Clorinde, if I misunderstood you please correct me.

Posted by StellaV 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • From what I know, levels were a great idea, but they've been implemented poorly. The vision was that they allowed for freer learning by splitting up a course into chunks of content. I think that's a great idea for an organizational feature. However, they're now blown out of proportion as strict structures that overtake the learning experience. They should be more like sub-courses than mini-courses, if you know what I mean. A course would be like one organized garden, not separate gardens.

We should be able to go into the page of a course we're learning, click "Plant", and learn the first 5 unlearned words from the garden. On that course page we should also be able to click on a level and plant 5 words just from that level. On both the course and level pages we should also be able to grow seedlings, harvest flowers, and water wilting plants — individually, as they appear, not just when an entire level is completed.

Here's the idea: levels are great as categories to break up information in a course, but they shouldn't hinder our learning.

Posted by orangewiz 11/15/12 (2 years ago)
  • Heyhey! I dont really like the new site but maybe its because Im just used to this site. I was wondering if I could eventually just use the beta site with the editing tool? Or will the editing tool never work again on the beta site?

Posted by sheresade.lara 11/16/12 (2 years ago)
  • So I started a course on the new site, I harvested my first batch of words more than 24 hours ago, and I STILL haven't been prompted to water them. What's with this? If the words were hard (this batch isn't, thankfully) I would have forgotten them by now. Please fix this.

Posted by SkySkySkylar 11/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hi,

Haven't tested out the new site yet but was wondering, you say that you can't add any new words on this site from now on because they won't be transferred, but what about mems? Does this mean that any mems, samples etc created over the last few days and from now on won't be transferred either?

Cheers

Posted by beckalina 11/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • Hello, I was wondering about mems also. My latest ones are not showing up in all the usual places (aka I missed the word again)

Otherwise, for 5 days now, the only way to connect up to my usual lessons on the beta site is to go into history in my browser and choose the last link that worked to repurate the session. Otherwise I get gateway errors.

Hang in there ! Cat

Posted by flamantrose 11/17/12 (2 years ago)
  • 1) I fully agree with SkySkySkylar (and others): "one reason I love Memrise is because I can easily learn just 5 words every day" many people can't spare the time for more than 5 words or so - given that there's GROW, PRACTISE, HARVEST, WATER and then PLANT to accomplish! 2) the IGNORE function is very helpful and convenient and should be preserved 3) and yes: the LEVEL stuff is very cumbersome (or am I not flexible enough?) everything was just fine with memrise beta ...!

Posted by OmaKo 11/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Cirno: "Seems like courses have been transferred, but they're unlisted. Course creator can change status to public."

How do you do this?

Posted by marquis 11/19/12 (2 years ago)
  • Why is the pinyin and the hanzi completely separated? I can't stand this. I miss the old site, just seeing the pinyin appear after I chose the right meaning and sometimes having the program ask for pinyin spelling was much better than this. Its enough to have me stop using the program and just go back to anki.

Posted by saltypeks 11/19/12 (2 years ago)