Delete courses (or reset)

After I remove a course, it still shows up as "Continue Learning" if I look it up again, and the plants I planted are still there. How can I completely remove it from my "history"? I want to start over on this one course really badly! :P

Posted by ernest3.14 8/31/12, last update 12/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • I sympathise, but at the moment, you can't.

Memrise believe strongly in rheir model of memory, and so they don't like the idea that you might want to "start again". They think, "but you have already learned these words to some extent, and we have the details, so if we ignore our records, this is not being faithful to the real-world facts". Even though you can do exactly this with a textbook or a CD etc.

I think they are overlooking this very commom human desire to "start over".

Posted by revans 8/31/12 (2 years ago)
  • A cumbersome solution would be to create a second account. Or just wait for memrise 1.0 and hope for the best.

Posted by azrael42 9/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • What's the point of starting it over as if it was a new one? Why not just simply water all the plants there again (and again, if you want)? Maybe I'm missing something?

Posted by Pros 9/1/12 (2 years ago)
  • Difficult to explain. Have you never gone back and started over with a novel, a textbook, a place, even a person? With memrise, watering all the words you half-know seems more tedious than learning them the 'first time'. It's as if memrise is implying - 'come on, you should know this one'. So when you 'start again', there's no element of nagging.

Posted by revans 9/2/12 (2 years ago)
  • It's maybe not important in the beta, but in the long run, a feature to reset the repetition cycle for single words or complete courses would be nice. If you have completely forgotten a word for whatever reasons, the repetition intervals of memrise seem to be inefficient. Watering the whole course several is obviously not a solution when only few words of the course is concerned.

And even if all the words of a course are concerned, the standard learning procedure of 5-7 repetions of a small amount of words should be much more efficient for difficult words than watering the whole course 5-7 times in a row.

Posted by azrael42 9/2/12 (2 years ago)
  • PS: And of course, there's also the psychological factor that restarting with an empty clean sheet is often more motivating than going through the mess of some of your own former notes.

Posted by azrael42 9/2/12 (2 years ago)
  • This would be nice for me right now because my wife used my account for the first couple of days that she was "trying out" memrise---racking up 50'000 points---before she made her own account. I'm creating a new account so I can learn the courses she already did :) I know, my problems are insignificant, I count my blessings till I run out of numbers.

Posted by aldebrn 12/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • @aldebrn How did you find this thread? Google search? It's 3 months old, we were referring to the old version of memrise, but i still received a notification mail anyway.

Well, you don't need a new account, you can "quit" or "restart" courses on the new memrise, under the course leaderboards.

Posted by azrael42 12/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Thank you for the information! Yes, it was Google, and yes, now that I look at a course that I quit in my main account, I see it as brand new. Doh, I will feel sheepish as I continue to use the second account I created to complete this one course!

Posted by aldebrn 12/18/12 (2 years ago)
  • Maybe I'm just going crazy here, but when I try to quit a course, I get this message: "Quitting will not wipe your learning history, but will remove it from your dashboard. You can return to this course and re-join at any point. Are you sure you would like to quit?" When I click yes and re-enlist in my course, my history is still there. Am I missing something obvious?

Posted by thawingcat 12/27/12 (1 year ago)
  • Hmm. Maybe memrise changed the function of the button recently or maybe it has always worked liked that and the memrise description of the functionality (which i cited here) was wrong before. I never actually re-entered a course that i had quit, but i am very sure that the button said earlier that all your learning history will be wiped out and there used to be a restart button as well.

It's really hard to keep track of all memrise bugs and daily changes. At least, i remember seeing someone else complaining recently in a thread that was not as old as this one.

Posted by azrael42 12/27/12 (1 year ago)